• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Species Status Link? (1 Viewer)

Don't worry about me Tom, I just did it to see what it would look like. Wonder if you can make it Bold, that way it would show up better and be quite different to the orange ones.... so could go back to red.

Sorry waffled there:-O

D

No worries Delia,

Will pause Opus Editing for a short while, Spring has sprung in Queensland and I want to be out birding.....

Tom

The owner of Birdforum would like to keep the opus project as 'in house' and 'on-site' as possible rather than linking to other sites. The status of a species can be included in the article.

cheers,
Andy

Wonder we we go from here? I thought that the whole point of the web was to link to other sites......suppose I will have to re-consider my involvement in the project if my input is negative.

Tom

I thought that the whole point of the web was to link to other sites

Not at BirdForum. They've always had a rather parochial, proprietary outlook, so Andy's statement is no surprise to me. What a shame that concern for providing information about endangered species doesn't take precedence over keeping eyeballs on the site.

Tom forgive me but apart from here where you say you are going to try and emulate Bf opus, do you give us any sort of link?

http://www.aviceda.org/node/59

In my browser, the words "Birdforum's Opus" are a link to Opus.

Glen

Not at BirdForum. They've always had a rather parochial, proprietary outlook, so Andy's statement is no surprise to me. What a shame that concern for providing information about endangered species doesn't take precedence over keeping eyeballs on the site.

Glen

This is a fantastic opportunity to put all the salient info in one place... the problems of the past has been that info has been spread out all over the web. I'm sure everyone can see that this makes sense, and putting effort into genuine content on opus is the main goal.

Your last sentence seems to completely miss the point that the endangered status can be part of the content on the opus article AS WELL.

Andy

I am calm. Two reasons for linking to BirdLife:

1) Birdlife is the only organization in the world that I am aware of that attempts to gather research and assess the status of every bird species in the world, so all of the salient info is already in one place - on BirdLife. I think it would be fine to repeat that information in Opus with proper references, but that would mean the "info has been spread out all over the web" more, not less. If "genuine content" means original content, then cribbing information from BirdLife or any other source is not adding genuine content, so you might as well link to the source.

2) BirdLife periodically updates the research cited in their species accounts and revises the status of particular species. Give the enormity of the task of creating Opus in the first place, I think expecting the small band of Opus editors (to whom I take my hat off) to keep the conservation status for thousands of species up to date is unrealistic. Linking to the species accounts on BirdLife would address that problem.

Glen

This is a fantastic opportunity to put all the salient info in one place... the problems of the past has been that info has been spread out all over the web. I'm sure everyone can see that this makes sense, and putting effort into genuine content on opus is the main goal.

Your last sentence seems to completely miss the point that the endangered status can be part of the content on the opus article AS WELL.

Andy

After off-line discussion with Andy, I will leave the 'Status' development and will revert example edits.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back