• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Osprey site (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I am currently halfway through a fabulous vacation and although I have been able to obtain some distant photos of Osprey, I am still looking for a good site that will allow closer photographic opportunities.
I have driven past a couple of sites where the birds were still on the nest right next to the road but unfortunately it was not possible to stop nearby.
I only have Sunday left in the Sarasota area before moving south on the I75 past Fort Myers to the Everglades area.
I would therefore appreciate tips on where I might be able to get a closer view of these fabulous birds either nr Sarasota (Sunday only) or on the travel down to the Evergaldes area.
I have previously been told Honeymoon island may be good so any further comment on this site also appreciated.

Ok thanks for the info - I will be visiting the Everglades shortly and am trying to work out the best areas to visit so this will be useful to keep in mind.
Some of the information I have concerning birding the area suggests that the birds can be pretty spread out while others suggest there can be favourite 'pockets' where the birds tend to concentrate.
Being that I only have a couple of days in the area I obvioulsy want to be on the birds ASAP if I can.
Is the Anhinga trail the best place to start or would you recommend somewhere else perhaps ?
Any advice is much appreciated.

Flamingo, at the end of the main road in Everglades National Park, is brimming with Osprey and Osprey nests.

Carlos

Dawn: Lucky Hammock and the Annex, just outside of Everglades National Park on Aerojet Rd is a must, with an abundance of wintering sparrows and raptors. Birds being seen here recently include White-tailed Kite, Short-tailed Hawk, Northern Harrier, Bald Eagle, American Kestrel, Sandhill Crane, Savannah Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, Clay-colored Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, Least Flycatcher, Painted Bunting, Swainson's Hawk.

Early morning: Gumbo Limbo Trail and the old grassy highway that bisects it are excellent for wintering and resident passerines, including Brown Thrasher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Brown-crested Flycatcher (identified by call from Great Crested), Magnolia Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Northern Parula, American Redstart, and White-eyed Vireo. Anhinga Trail, good for up close views of all your typical waders, American Alligators, and, at this time of year, American Bittern. Survey the kettles of vultures above for Short-tailed Hawks which are reliable here.

Research Road and the pinelands at Long Pine Key: Brown-headed Nuthatch, Eastern Bluebird, Northern Bobwhite all easier to see in spring or summer. Large flocks of Pine Warblers can be found in winter, plus these habitats are excellent for woodpeckers like Red-bellied, Downy, and Pileated.

Mrazek Pond: ducks, Black-crowned Night-herons, potentially shorebirds depending on water levels (including American Avocets).

Flamingo area: Osprey, Bald Eagles soaring overhead or nesting. From the breezeway, scan the sandbar when exposed for terns, shorebirds, American White Pelican, and Reddish Egret. Farther down at Eco Pond, check the pond for shorebirds (American Avocets, Black-necked Stilts, waders including Roseate Spoonbill). The mangroves around the campground should produce Blue-headed Vireo, maybe cuban Yellow Warbler (more reliable in spring), other wintering warblers/passerines. Avoid Snake Bight this time of year -- excellent spot later in the season, but it is probably still infested with mosquitoes right now.

Hope this helps,

Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back