• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NE Wales birdingwatching (1 Viewer)

that sounds great jeanie! I've heard grouse up there but never seen them! Nor crossbills & redpoll but quite a few treecreepers in the woods.

The hills really were alive with the sound of Black Grouse as well as them flying about.
Had an amusing senior moment at the Horseshoe pass café afterwords. I heard the girl ask me if I had been bird watching so started prattling on about the Redpoll. My husband waved his hands about and then said, "She will have butter on her roll".
Birdwatching vrs butter, sort of sounds the same!!

LOL thats funny Jeanie!

Went to Marford Quarry for the first time yesterday, v nice place, loads of birds singing away, although all I saw were blue/coal/longtailed & great tits, chaffinch, blackbirds and plenty of chiffchaffs.

Then a quick stop at gresford flash, very quiet there, no sign of the grebes, just yuckducks, coots, moorhens and a couple of canadas.
Did notice that the sailing club have put out loads of marker buoys tho, maybe thats why it was quiet.

On a walk around bryn alyn area yesterday saw loads of jays, chiffchaffs, mipets and nuthatches. The river alyn was pretty high, no sign of any dippers but we did near 2 green woodpeckers and had fleeting glimpse as they flew off.

Today's 9 mile hike around Llantsilio again heard green woodie below velvet hill, but couldnt find the little blighter! Again loads of chiffchaffs, buzzards and mipets, and a couple of herons by the eglwyseg river below dergoed but again no dippers!

Oh, I also noticed on thursday a patch of woodland near bryn alyn up for sale. Looking at their website, two plots already sold, this 5 acre plot up for grabs at £29k!

Took my two lads for a picnic at Alyn Waters yesterday and found a male Redstart flycatching from the ground in an open scrubby area opposite the Skylark field, presumably new in and feeding up before relocating to a breeding site. Also plenty of Wllow Warblers & Chiffchaffs in fine voice, as well as a couple of Blackcaps & a Skylark.

James

Sounds good James! Never been to alyn waters before but driven past a few times! would you say it was worth a visit from a birding point of view?

9m walk from llansilio, velvet hill, rock farm today! Plenty of chiffchaffs and stonechats at velvet hill, the male stonechats were very resplendent and brightly coloured. Later on a few pied wags + heard (but didn't see!) another green woodie by dinbren isaf.

Hi was up on the Minera side of "mountain" last night and saw 5 male black grouse lekking just around the pool parc shaft, sat for about 15 mins watching them from the car until they were startled and flew off by a male Hen Harrier!! if I can work out how to load some photos I will put them up of the grouse, not brilliant by any means but they do show the activity.

Sounds good James! Never been to alyn waters before but driven past a few times! would you say it was worth a visit from a birding point of view?

So so. The Redstart is easily the best thing I've seen there, but my visits are sporadic, and usually more to get the boys out of the house to let off steam rather than birding.

James

Excellent views of Black grouse at Worlds end.About 30 males seen without trying too hard and a lek of 8 very close to the road.For lazy birding from a car this is highly recommended.

Yesterday, did the same walk as my previous post. Highlight was hearing our first cuckoo of the year! We heard it when we were at dinbren isaf and it was coming from towards trevor rocks to the left of dinas bran!
apart from all the usual tits/finches etc also saw plenty of chiffchaffs and one dipper by the old mill near plas yn eglwyseg.
Plenty of pied wags and nuthatches around too and a couple of longtailed tits gathering nestbuilding material near bryn-hyfred.
Apart from the cuckoo, the highlight was watching a peacock displaying to a cement mixer below rock gully on the offas dyke path. Fascinating to watch his ritual and hilarious. The cement mixer didnt seem too impressed tho!

Today 5m walk north of glyndyfrdwy, loads of wheatear on the hillside above the footpath between cwm-tydi and mynydd-bychan (below moel morfydd). Also a few pied wags and meadow pipits.
Highlight was 2 very brightly coloured male redstarts along the same part of path.

Dipper on the Alun yesterday morning, by Fellows Lane between Hope & Caergwrle. Green Woodpecker calling there a few days ago. Whiethroats a little further upstream by Sarn Lane.

James

Circular walk yesterday around the hill between Rhewl & Glyndyfrdwy: Fron-Cefn y coed-Wern ddu-Graig ddu: pied wags & female redstart on the Dee Valley Way above Wern ddu and a calling cuckoo seen (hurrah!) in the wood just south of Cymmo. Also saw quite a few unidentifiable warblers, they were all either too far away or too fast!

What a beautiful day for a beautiful walk in a beautiful place!

Yesterday, plenty of meadow pipits and stonechats on panorama walk above trevor.

Very pleased to see a stoat up there too!

Then a pair of linnets at the lower end of the panorama walk as well as more stonechats.

2 GS woodies in the small wood west of the caravan park below trevor hall wood and then another two (maybe the same pair) down the lane leading to the bryn howel hotel.
Also nuthatches by bryn howel, and loads of house martens (I think!) by the canal below the hotel.

Yesterday, loads of stonechats and meadow pipits on lower slopes of Moel Morfydd. No sign of any wheatears in the same place where we saw loads 5 weeks ago! But did see two red legged partridges by Cwm Tydi.
Also one gorgeous male redstart seen calling by the wood south of just Cymmo on the footpath from Graig-ddu.

Friday, a group of 3 buzzards south of Pontfadog. Also 2 wheatear, 1 chiffchaff and big flock of goldfinches on the Ceiriog trail above Llwydiarth.

Yesterday's walk near Llanarmon & Eryrys: several buzzards, still a fair few chiffchaffs around, south of Eryrys huge flocks of goldfinches & a few mipets.

A few days earlier massive flock of 200-300 mallards on small lake 0.5km east of Llandegla.

After all the recent rain, yesterday was a gorgeous day for a 6m walk from Llanferres, needed to get out after a few weeks snowed under with work.
River Alyn was quite fierce after all the rain, only sign of life to start with were the usual domestic white geese protecting their spot on the river south of cascade wood, although a bunch of mallards were in the field beyond.
North of the wood found my first dipper for ages, feeding on the small stream that runs into the alyn, he was quite relaxed about me being quite close.
Later on, a couple of the ubiquitous buzzards, and then a lovely green woodpecker by Fron Heulog.
Cracking walk, managed to top up the suntan too!
Incidentally, Fron Heulog is up for sale at £0.5m, wonderful spot if you want a bit of peace & quiet!

Friday: huge flock of mallards still on lake by llandegla, a couple of pied wagtails in the village, couple of buzzards on the way up to Llyn Cyfynwy, on Llyn Cyf loads of coots and a solitary GC Grebe, & loads of mipets up there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back