• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lizard from Slaughter Canyon, NM, USA (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I have two photos but unfortunately only the head shows in both. Can anything be said based on these?

Niels

Attachments

• P1090656.JPG
    P1090656.JPG
    476.5 KB · Views: 56
  • P1090657.JPG
    P1090657.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 67
Nils,

It's a member of the generalized Fence lizard group. If I knew exactly where Slaughter Canyon was located I might be able to make a guess based on geography.

Will

Okay, Nils,

In the nomenclature of Stebbins' Field guide to western reptiles and amphibians it's a Southern Prairie Lizard, Sceloporus undulatus consobrinus. By current taxonomy it's either Sceloporus consobrinus or Sceloporus cowlesi, probably the latter.

Will

Thanks Will,
that is a lot closer than I expected to be able to come with this very partial view.

Thanks
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back