• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya bird guide (1 Viewer)

briddo13 said:
Hi , i am planning to birdwatch Kenya in February . Can anyone recommend a good comprehensive field guide ?

The Helm Field Guide 'Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania' by Zimmerman et al is good. The other alternative by Fanshawe and Stevenson is a better book IMO but covers a much wider area.

Steve

I went to Kenya in January and I took both books Steve mentioned. In the end we used the Fanshawe/Stevenson far more as it's easier to use and on the whole the illustrations are better. The Zimmermann book was excellent as a back up and the maps are more detailed, so take both if you can.

E

Edward said:
I went to Kenya in January and I took both books Steve mentioned. In the end we used the Fanshawe/Stevenson far more as it's easier to use and on the whole the illustrations are better. The Zimmermann book was excellent as a back up and the maps are more detailed, so take both if you can.

E
thanks for the info I hope to but it to good use.

I'd agree with Edward on this one. I've been to Kenya a couple of times and generally found the Fanshawe et al easier to use in the field, but found it helpful to also have the Zimmerman et al back in the room/rucksack. They're both good books and it comes down to a matter of personal preference but, seeing as you'll be paying plenty of money to get there in the first instance it makes sense to buy both.

I would also recommend that you consult the many trip reports for up to date information. I find the TravellingBirder website to be great for this www.travellingbirder.com .

And whatever you do, don't forget to take a mammal guide as you'll see plenty of those (we saw 44 species, all new to me). I took Jonathan Kingdon's pocket guide to African mammals, very handy.

E

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back