• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

juv gulls, pipits, juv wheatear (?) in Norway (1 Viewer)

Doc Duck

I've got a few saved up that I need help with. Mostly very young gulls from around home, but also some from the island where I'm visiting now - birds I'm less familiar with and having trouble sorting. For instance the pipits. There are several species around here and I can't get the details (leg color, calls, speckle clarity, habitat ...) all to fit with the descriptions in my field guide.

Attachments

• Gull chicks.jpg
    Gull chicks.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 41
  • gull chick napping.jpg
    gull chick napping.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 33
  • Another gull chick_.jpg
    Another gull chick_.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Pippit.jpg
    Pippit.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Bird on the roof.jpg
    Bird on the roof.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 53
very young gulls are really hard to ID but for 1. and 2. i'd say, almost certainly they are common gulls, probably also the downy young in pic 3.
4. is a meadow pipit (strong flank streaking)
5. looks like a sunbathing willow warbler

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back