• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Bassenthwaite Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Just thought I would mention that an Osprey was seen here at Haverigg at 7pm yesterday evening.It was in the middle of a large crowd of Gulls,whereupon it emerged with a very large fish,flew onto a stump to partake and then flew off.I did see the man who had seen it,and he did seem to know his facts,also it was noted on the board in the hide.Thought it might be one of the Bassenthwaite gang,but if it was should have arrived by now,only a few miles away.Perhaps was on its way to Scotland.

A CHAPLIN Hi Folks,Just to let you know the webcam is now up and running but no birds home yet.

thanks for letting us know looks like aride to the lakes comming soon always do around about my partners birhday
its because of these 2 she has got in to birds as much as she has

Three ospreys have been seen in the Carlisle region in the last 2 weeks. Probably passage birds heading for Scotland but always the chance they are Bassenthwaite birds or even new colonisers.

The nest webcam and diary section of the Lake District Osprey Project are now active here.

Hi Folks,

It is 3.40 U K time and sadly no Ospreys on the nest. Still time though for the resident birds to arrive (18th April last year) and I for one would hate them to get home and find strangers had taken up squatters' rights.

Ann :egghead: :flyaway: :flyaway: Flying home I hope.

PS Just seen the thread about Loch Garten's Diary, I hope you will all be pleased to know the Bassenthwaite one has been updated, possibly this morning as I looked yesterday and the last entry was Monday I think.

Last edited:
The Lakeland Ospreys by David Ramshaw

Tiger_mz said:
Oh that is great news. Wonder where we can buy it?

Order using these details from your local bookshop:

The Lakeland Ospreys
by David Ramshaw
£5.00

Format: Paperback 32 pages

Date of publication: 28/02/2007

Publisher: P3 Publications

ISBN: 9780954773953

I really hope so, am getting a little worried this year, and am due up there in a few weeks and would really miss seing them live.

I really think this is the female....No Ring....looks like it to me.

Why can't they feed video, and why the heck does it have to end at 5pm!

Kev

asdabird said:
I really hope so, am getting a little worried this year, and am due up there in a few weeks and would really miss seing them live.

Kev
Nah Noring is the male not the female. Female is green XS.

asdabird said:

Kev

Someone at the lakeside has also suggested it's the regular male. There are normally plenty of passage birds which use the lake and there's always the hope one of the previous chicks will arrive back at the natal site.

The camera closes down for the same reason as no video feed. The mains supply is a considerable distance so there is precious little power available and the camera image is sent by microwave over part of the link back to the Whinlatter Centre so bandwidth is a problem.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

The Bassenthwaite Ospreywatch diary has been updated today Sunday 15th April, the camera's position has now slightly changed due to a visiting Osprey landing on it. It might be an idea to have an engineer on site all the time looking after the camera and repairing the cables the rodents are always eating - joke I know they are all volunteers and do a great job.

Ann :egghead:

Tiger_mz said:
Nah Noring is the male not the female. Female is green XS.

How stupid of me, I should know that!

Well OK, it looks like XS then?

Despite the diary saying it was a visiting bird (does it actually say that....???)

Kev

asdabird said:
How stupid of me, I should know that!

Well OK, it looks like XS then?

Despite the diary saying it was a visiting bird (does it actually say that....???)

Kev
Well this is what the diary says. For some reason they have started calling XS by the name SX this year. If you notice one is the other rotated by 180 degrees.

Ospreywatch
Sunday April 15th 2007 Our tiny spy camera on the nest edge has had a chequered career in previous years. It has been power-pooed and pole-axed and buried but usually it lasts a few weeks into the season. Not this time.This morning a visiting osprey, a delightful dusky-fronted but buxom maiden alighted on the nest edge. Guess where? Yes! And it took no more than a slip of her less than dainty foot to bend the lens 45 degrees. We now, as on past occasions, have a droopy nosed close-up view of a pile of sticks from camera 3. On a more sanguine note her arrival (and later departure) tells us that osprey migration is now in full swing despite the continuing dirty weather in S. Europe. Come on SX and No-ring!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back