• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk II is announced and available for pre-order (2 Viewers)

I imagine it gives you a huge array of muscles as well! Or collapsing inter-vertebral discs....

John

Ha, ha. It's really not a lot of weight (22 pounds including bins) just a bit awkward.

I do most of my shooting handheld. This is not a style for most but I'm only 46 and I do have a background in strength sports. I carry the 1DX with 2x and 600f4 on a black rapid strap and the 7D2 and 100-400 on a cotton carrier vest. This works well up to about 4 miles. If I want to go longer distances then I would pack the 600f4 on a backpack for more comfort.

If I know I'll be in a fixed position fairly close to the car then a tripod and gimbal head is really nice to use.

In the video when the guy was using the wide zone AF the viewfinder showed the AF points as quite large black squares. I get a group of small red squares that disappear when I press the focus button and then I get a single focus point.

Have I got something in the settings wrong ?

I use a 400 f5.6 lens if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Max
Max,The attached shows how the different layout should look. The 25 point zone is surround by lines to show which of the three zones you are using. Does yours look like this through the viewfinder?

Attachments

• AF layouts.jpg
    AF layouts.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 144
Always good to hear multiple recommendations for retail outlets that are web based.
We will see how HDEW respond to me. After much thought I have decided the 7D2 is not for me because it doesn't deliver to my needs and expectations but that's not to say it isn't an excellent camera. I couldn't fault the example I was given but after 178 actuations I'd seen enough to convince me I didn't need one. There wasn't much to offer that I haven't already got with my 1DX and 5D3. I decided to cut my losses and sell it on before it loses any more value.
As all the accessories, manuals had never been opened it is as new but has to be resold as a demo model. What I will be given for it remains to be seen, it might well have been an expensive exercise but at least I have satisfied my self that I'm not missing an opportunity.You know how it is, the grass is always greener somewhere else !
Anyway for further info on my reasoning you can read here if you are interested.
http://www.bringnaturetolife.co.uk/land_now/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=1411

Believe me though, if I had only a 7D1 I would jump at the upgrade.
cheers Dave

I can see where you are coming from as I swithered for a long time before deciding to hang on to mine, largely on the grounds of frames per sec and reach. Wildlife in the west of Scotland is for the most part thin on the ground and un-confiding and you have got to take any opportunity that you get. Up against the 5D3 the image quality is mediocre and whites burn out all of the time if the sun is out. My keeper rate is probably less than 20%. It’s a non-starter as a macro camera, with diffraction setting in well below f8. Why keep it? I am getting enough publishable pictures in that 25% to justify it.

If the rumours of a 28 mega pixel 12fps 5D4 ever materialise, as a wildlife camera everything that Canon have produced to date is going to become academic.

David

I can see where you are coming from as I swithered for a long time before deciding to hang on to mine, largely on the grounds of frames per sec and reach. Wildlife in the west of Scotland is for the most part thin on the ground and un-confiding and you have got to take any opportunity that you get. Up against the 5D3 the image quality is mediocre and whites burn out all of the time if the sun is out. My keeper rate is probably less than 20%. It’s a non-starter as a macro camera, with diffraction setting in well below f8. Why keep it? I am getting enough publishable pictures in that 25% to justify it.

If the rumours of a 28 mega pixel 12fps 5D4 ever materialise, as a wildlife camera everything that Canon have produced to date is going to become academic.

David

Interesting you make those comments about the whites David. Many of the photos I have seen posted have exactly that problem. I took a look at a Gull shot that I used to try and get an exposure reading and at ISO 400 f8 1/2500 the full frame shot looks OK. If you look at 100% crop it's still OK but for ISO 400 there is a surprising amount of noise. I have sharpened the picture, it was looking soft, to about 84% on CS6 and the noise is all too evident. My PP work is not the best and I'm told you need to spend extra time working on the 7D2 files. Time I don't want to spend to be honest. In comparison the files from the 1Dx and 5D3 are very forgiving.
I didn't want to keep three camera bodies, that is overkill and on balance the 7D2 was the weakest link in the line up. I am very lucky to have the option of all three to choose from.
I buy wine for under £5 a bottle which some might find unpalatable,the savings go towards better camera gear.
Many might be happy with the IQ the 7D2 provides and in fairness it's pretty damn good so I can understand why they are happy. At the price it's selling for it's a bit of a bargain really.
Dave

Attachments

• crop.jpg
    crop.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 190
  • ISO400 f8 2500sec.jpg
    ISO400 f8 2500sec.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 152
Interesting you make those comments about the whites David. Many of the photos I have seen posted have exactly that problem. I took a look at a Gull shot that I used to try and get an exposure reading and at ISO 400 f8 1/2500 the full frame shot looks OK. If you look at 100% crop it's still OK but for ISO 400 there is a surprising amount of noise. I have sharpened the picture, it was looking soft, to about 84% on CS6 and the noise is all too evident. My PP work is not the best and I'm told you need to spend extra time working on the 7D2 files. Time I don't want to spend to be honest. In comparison the files from the 1Dx and 5D3 are very forgiving.
I didn't want to keep three camera bodies, that is overkill and on balance the 7D2 was the weakest link in the line up. I am very lucky to have the option of all three to choose from.
I buy wine for under £5 a bottle which some might find unpalatable,the savings go towards better camera gear.
Many might be happy with the IQ the 7D2 provides and in fairness it's pretty damn good so I can understand why they are happy. At the price it's selling for it's a bit of a bargain really.
Dave
Crickey, the noise in that crop is terrible for ISO 400 Dave, even for an 100% crop, albeit it is easily cleaned up. I have not seen this amount of noise from my 7D2 even at higher ISO's than this, was this underexposed and pushed in processing?.
These crop Cameras are obviously not so forgiving as Full frames so you have to take a bit more care when using them, the high pixel density can easily cause the so called 'pixel bleed'. Having said that 1/2500 sec at 300mm should be more than adequate so I am at a lost as to why even the uncropped shot is a tad soft ! I think if I were getting this amount of noise and softness I would also sell mine!
For pure IQ a 1.6 cropper is never going to compete with a full frame for sure but for reach limited situations I find the 7D2 can capture more detail than a cropped 5D3 pic for sure and they clean up nicely with a bit of care. I will still be using my 5D3 for all my non reach limited stuff but I find the 7D2 compliments it very well for reach limited times.

Last edited:
Have had mine (and 100-400mkII) for nearly 2 weeks. Having come from a 7D (and 100-400mkI) I am impressed by the significantly lower noise (much more so than I was expecting). The new combination gives very impressive results, though I still need to work out the best way to approach flight shots.

Rob

I rarely use my 1dx the shutter sound is just to loud I often get myself down a ditch, canal or slues in camo gear or make shift hide the 7d mkII on silent 5fps (not silent ) but with care some birds just except the sound and keep coming .
The 1dx will scare them off way before they are close enough even with a 600mm .

Rob.

Roy.... my Gull image had very little PP but I did adjust a tad in highlights, something I always automatically do at the same low level on most shots with no ill effect. If I had increased the shutter speed anymore I would have a very,very dark background.

Rob I agree 100% about the shutter sound... it's the difference between irritating and perfection! The 5D3 on the other hand is very quiet.

Roy.... my Gull image had very little PP but I did adjust a tad in highlights, something I always automatically do at the same low level on most shots with no ill effect. If I had increased the shutter speed anymore I would have a very,very dark background.
Dave, I have already said that your shutter speed was more than adequate which makes my surprised at the result.
As far as a dark background goes, metering is made up of three elements : shutter speed, aperture and ISO - it is obvious that if you have correct exposure and then decide to change one of the three elements then you would have to compensate one of the other two elements to maintain a correct exposure.
In your case and on the assumption that you are using a correct exposure to start with, if you had wanted to get a faster shutter speed then it is obvious that you would need to change one of the other two element to maintain correct exposure - had you have done that then the background would not have been any darker or lighter whatsoever - just saying in case you did not know that.

If they can be trusted I'd get one. I found another company that have a huge range of everyone's gear apparently available to purchase but when I checked out their given address using Google Street View there was no sign of them being where they said they were.
They were accepting Paypal according to the advert but I still decided to pay £100 more from Hdew as I know them from previous dealings.

On placement of order, you should receive email with tracking number(s)

I purchased Nikon d810 and 80 - 400 lens through Panamoz. order placed Monday am camera body arrived Wednesday. where is the lens? It was OOS (out of stock). No reply from UK phone line, but email resulted in swift reply plus £10 refund for the delay.

Lens dispatched at end of week, arrived Monday. Order can be tracked via UPS, should show dispatch from Hong Kong, intermediate points UAE, Koln, arrival UK Castle Donnington then out for delivery

Purchased 7dII body secondhand via LCE will be ordering 100 - 400 lens next week by Panamoz

I rarely use my 1dx the shutter sound is just to loud I often get myself down a ditch, canal or slues in camo gear or make shift hide the 7d mkII on silent 5fps (not silent ) but with care some birds just except the sound and keep coming .
The 1dx will scare them off way before they are close enough even with a 600mm .

Rob.

Sorry to hear of your experiences with the noisy 1DX. I think you should send it to me so it can keep my (lonely) 1DX company!

I agree the 1DX does make a heck of a racket but South Wales wildlife must be different to yours. I did get a disdainful glance from a Vixen when I was shooting in full machine gun mode once but it didn't seem to bother her, range was about 30 yds, and she hung around for quite a while afterwards. On Birds I am often using extension tubes to shoot at less than 6 meters (800 F5.6 L IS MFD) and the birds couldn't care less!

Photographers don't like the noise but local wildlife has better things to do, so I think your camera would be much happier with me;)

Dave, I have already said that your shutter speed was more than adequate which makes my surprised at the result.
As far as a dark background goes, metering is made up of three elements : shutter speed, aperture and ISO - it is obvious that if you have correct exposure and then decide to change one of the three elements then you would have to compensate one of the other two elements to maintain a correct exposure.
In your case and on the assumption that you are using a correct exposure to start with, if you had wanted to get a faster shutter speed then it is obvious that you would need to change one of the other two element to maintain correct exposure - had you have done that then the background would not have been any darker or lighter whatsoever - just saying in case you did not know that.

Thanks Roy, I do under stand the principles and in the Gull shot I overexposed the whites very slightly then adjusted in shadows and highlights in CS6. I wanted to maintain f8 and iso 400 but to bring the whites back the shutter speed would have to be increased. That would result in a much darker background and make the noise more evident. I wouldn't expect to need to apply noise reduction at 400 but in this instance it would probably be needed.

On placement of order, you should receive email with tracking number(s)

I purchased Nikon d810 and 80 - 400 lens through Panamoz. order placed Monday am camera body arrived Wednesday. where is the lens? It was OOS (out of stock). No reply from UK phone line, but email resulted in swift reply plus £10 refund for the delay.

Lens dispatched at end of week, arrived Monday. Order can be tracked via UPS, should show dispatch from Hong Kong, intermediate points UAE, Koln, arrival UK Castle Donnington then out for delivery

Purchased 7dII body secondhand via LCE will be ordering 100 - 400 lens next week by Panamoz

Purchasing is only half the problem Kenneth, it's the after support that can be critical.

Sorry to hear of your experiences with the noisy 1DX. I think you should send it to me so it can keep my (lonely) 1DX company!

I agree the 1DX does make a heck of a racket but South Wales wildlife must be different to yours. I did get a disdainful glance from a Vixen when I was shooting in full machine gun mode once but it didn't seem to bother her, range was about 30 yds, and she hung around for quite a while afterwards. On Birds I am often using extension tubes to shoot at less than 6 meters (800 F5.6 L IS MFD) and the birds couldn't care less!

Photographers don't like the noise but local wildlife has better things to do, so I think your camera would be much happier with me;)

It does depend very much on what you are shooting John. I was photographing a Robin taking mealworms from my wife's hand from a distance of about 3 feet with no problem, if the bird will approach a human like that the noise isn't a problem.
If I try to take shots of the Jays that approach my feeders they immediately fly at the sound of the shutter. Some subjects hear the noise and you can get shots as they lift their heads to check the noise before flying. It really does vary but given a chance a silent shutter is my preference without a doubt.

I was testing a new lens this morning and have posted these on a different thread but thought I would post on here as well as they were taken with the 7D2 at ISO 1600 with no noise reduction - both shots are very heavy crop at just 24% of the original full frame. Compared to the 7D1 and considering the big crop I think they are fairly clean looking. BTW they were both shoot well to the right (ETTR) and the whites are slightly clipped. It may be of interest to some who are still lurking about the 7D2.

Attachments

• chaff iso 1600 516 mm 24pc crop.jpg
    chaff iso 1600 516 mm 24pc crop.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 184
  • gold  iso 1600 500 mm 24pc crop.jpg
    gold iso 1600 500 mm 24pc crop.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 188
7d11 and 1.4 extender

Hi Everyone,
I am seriously considering replacing my 7d with the 7d11 but I have a question. Is it true that the the new camera will auto focus with the Canon 1.4 extender? I thought I had seen someone say that it did.
Can anyone confirm this?
Cheers
John

Hi Everyone,
I am seriously considering replacing my 7d with the 7d11 but I have a question. Is it true that the the new camera will auto focus with the Canon 1.4 extender? I thought I had seen someone say that it did.
Can anyone confirm this?
Cheers
John

Yes it will.

Photo here with 400/5.6 and 1.4 extender.

But it focuses with the centre spot only and the four spots around it.

Attachments

• Starling-(30)-smallweb.jpg
    Starling-(30)-smallweb.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 153
Thanks Barred Warbler,
However, I realise that I should have said that my lens is the 100-400mm zoom and not a fixed lens. So, is your reply still 'yes' ?
Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back