• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Birding Targets (1 Viewer)

malskelton

Enthusiastic Amateur
England
Hi guys

Those of you who I have been in contact with will know that I am a very enthusiastic amateur who doesn't have as much time as I would like, but love seeing new species for the first time.

At present my life list ( which I started again in 2000 ) is only at 149 - the latest being Kittiwake in Bridlington harbour ;)

I've got a trip on Saturday morning to Malham Cove to hopefully knock off the number 1 bird on my list - Peregrine and take me to 150.

Below is a list of the 51 birds I would love to see to reach the magical 200. This is my 2006 / 2007 target :bounce:

1 PEREGRINE FALCON
2 GOSHAWK
3 BITTERN
4 LONG EARED OWL
5 TAWNY OWL
6 LITTLE OWL
7 WHITE TAILED SEA EAGLE
8 CRESTED TIT
9 HOODED CROW
10 RAVEN
11 BLACK GUILLEMOT
12 GREAT NORTHERN DIVER
13 RED THROATED DIVER
14 CROSSBILL
15 NIGHTJAR
16 STONE CURLEW
17 GOLDEN ORIOLE
18 HAWFINCH
19 GOLDEN PHEASANT
20 STONECHAT
21 CUCKOO
22 ROSEATE TERN
23 GREAT SKUA
24 ARCTIC SKUA
25 MANX SHEARWATER
26 SOOTY SHEARWATER
27 GREAT WHITE EGRET
28 PIED FLYCATCHER
29 WRYNECK
30 LITTLE GULL
31 SPOONBILL
32 BAR TAILED GODWIT
33 COMMON SCOTER
34 REDSTART
35 CORN BUNTING
36 WOODCOCK
37 KNOT
38 MARSH TIT
39 SANDERLING
40 WATER RAIL
41 BARNACLE GOOSE
42 BEWICKS SWAN
43 NIGHTINGALE
44 DOTTEREL
45 GARGANEY
46 LONG TAILED DUCK
47 CHOUGH
48 SNOW BUNTING
49 TWITE
50 BEE EATER
51 GREAT GREY SHRIKE

None of these are particularly difficult, most are classified as common or local.

Any help any of you guys could provide - suggest sites etc would be invaluable. I live in East Yorkshire but also visit my parents in Co Durham quite often and go out with my dad when we can.

I appreciate that most of these are easy to find - but time in the field is a luxury I unfortunately don't have.

Thanks for reading

Mal Skelton

have you tried birdguides.com ?? if you sign up to the weekly newsletter you can access the bird map which shows alot of these species daily and where they are.

A number of those are extremely easy: a quick visit to the coast (in winter) should produce some (or all) of RT Diver, Stonechat, Knot, sanderling, Snow Bunting, Common Scoter, Bar-tailed Godwit. Some, however, are very difficult. Great White Egrets, for instance, are hard to connect with.... I believe there is one in Cumbria right now but on the whole they don't hang around long: I've been birding for about 15 years and still haven't seen one in the UK. Goshawk is also very tricky.

aythya_hybrid said:
A number of those are extremely easy: a quick visit to the coast (in winter) should produce some (or all) of RT Diver, Stonechat, Knot, sanderling, Snow Bunting, Common Scoter, Bar-tailed Godwit. Some, however, are very difficult. Great White Egrets, for instance, are hard to connect with.... I believe there is one in Cumbria right now but on the whole they don't hang around long: I've been birding for about 15 years and still haven't seen one in the UK. Goshawk is also very tricky.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

A lot of these are simply because I've not been to the right areas at the right times - something I'm hoping to put right.

The last two years I've spent most of the time unable to go out ( two serious knee ligament injuries ), so I'm hoping that the next few months go to plan and my rehabilitation continues.

In September I hope to go on one of the RSPB cruises from Bridlington where I should cover some Skuas and Shearwaters :hi:

A couple of them are pie in the sky hopes ( like the GW Egret - although there was one about 5 miles away last week, but driving is still difficult at the moment ).

If I connect with the Peregrine this weekend then Goshawk becomes the next dream bird ;)

Thanks for all and any help

Mal Skelton

Okay Mal, i hope this helps, I have broken the list down and suggested some sites. If you need more specific sites for particluar birds then I will try and help, although obviously I cannot give too mych info on sensitive species...

Easyish to connect with

1 PEREGRINE FALCON, malham seems a good spot at this time of year
5 TAWNY OWL - regular in the area, large parks in the area should hold a pair or too
6 LITTLE OWL - many sites in area, ask local birders, typically mixed famland nearby, especially those with dry stone walls may produce. also one of those birds that can often be fist found from the car!
10 RAVEN - you should connect with this at Malham
20 STONECHAT - East coast sites are good
21 CUCKOO - long shot for Mallam again, quite late for ads now, but juveniles are about
23 GREAT SKUA
24 ARCTIC SKUA
25 MANX SHEARWATER - abpve three almost guaranteed on a seawatch in Aug/Sept from east coast in N/NE/E winds
28 PIED FLYCATCHER - Bolton Abbey is the best spot (and restart, wood warbler to boot), but ancient woodland and east coast regular. Malham possibly?
32 BAR TAILED GODWIT - fairly common on the coast esp in winter. We even had on in Leeds two weeks ago!
33 COMMON SCOTER - winter seawatch required, possibly on larger reserviors in winter
34 REDSTART see pied fly
35 CORN BUNTING - one outside my window now with yellowhammers, 5 miles from leeds, may be found in similar habitiat to Little owl above at lower levels.
37 KNOT
39 SANDERLING as barwit

Okayish to connect with
3 BITTERN - blacktofts your best bet in east yorks, should hear it gieven time of year
4 LONG EARED OWL - normally winter roosts in the area, especially south yorks sites, and bempton. Trip to the east coast in Autumn may get lucky
12 GREAT NORTHERN DIVER
13 RED THROATED DIVER - both above fairly frequent in Winter seawatches from east yorks spots - especially red throated
14 CROSSBILL - quite a few plantations holding crossbill, especially in North Yorks
15 NIGHTJAR - well publicised brreeding in North Lincs, dusk trip needed to guarantee success though (and you'll need midge repellant)
30 LITTLE GULL - regular in the area at chosen sights. Hornsea is pretty good - maybe some there now!
36 WOODCOCK - east coast in right weather your best bet, have seen lots at spurn in Octobertime
38 MARSH TIT - tricky, leighton moss can throw this up and willow too at woodwell
40 WATER RAIL, blacktoft and coastal marshees in winter, even Rodley has a couple
42 BEWICKS SWAN, derwent valley sites is your best bet
45 GARGANEY - blacktoft in spring your best shot
46 LONG TAILED DUCK - east coast winter seawatch
48 SNOW BUNTING - east coast in winter
49 TWITE - east coast in winter, but no guarantees

Hardest to connect with
2 GOSHAWK - rare in this area, I have only seen them once near Harewood in North Yorks
7 WHITE TAILED SEA EAGLE - only a trip to deepest darkest Scotland for this
8 CRESTED TIT - ditto really, not quite the same trip for WTE though!
9 HOODED CROW - again were in the wrong part of the world for this
11 BLACK GUILLEMOT - nearest sites to you are cumbria and north Wales, think you may struggle here...
16 STONE CURLEW - trip to east anglia i'm afraid
17 GOLDEN ORIOLE - ditto, possibly spurn on migration, lakenheath is a better bet though...
18 HAWFINCH - many in area, but behaviour doesn't help, can suggest sites, but never guaranteed
19 GOLDEN PHEASANT - norfolk again, but still very tricky
22 ROSEATE TERN - no sites within 100 miles, possibilty on a seawatch, or a trip to the fanres
26 SOOTY SHEARWATER - F'borough in the right winds only suggestion
27 GREAT WHITE EGRET - extremely rare vagrant to the area, twitch required!
29 WRYNECK - spurn in late August early Sept your only chance really
31 SPOONBILL - vagrant, may pop into black toft or somewhere like that.
43 NIGHTINGALE - maybe in Lincs, but not sure?
44 DOTTEREL - one site near balcktoft is the only good one in the area, but only 3rd week in May
47 CHOUGH - long trip required, south stack nearest I fear
50 BEE EATER - tricky, usual migration spots and lots of luck
51 GREAT GREY SHRIKE - easier than some, but need a bird to set up a territoty, possibly on east coast in autumn though

Hope this helps you matey. Let me know if you want more info...

Thanks so much for that help - I'm hoping ( like you suggested ) that Malham might throw up Peregrine, Little Owl and Redstart. One the way home we are calling at a local site ( local for my parents house in Co Durham ) that has been suggested for Corn Bunting.

As for the others it will be a work in progress - getting out more is the first priority which should be achievable now I've ditched the leg brace and crutches

Thanks for the advice

Mal Skelton

malskelton said:
The last two years I've spent most of the time unable to go out ( two serious knee ligament injuries ), so I'm hoping that the next few months go to plan and my rehabilitation continues.
Mal Skelton

Hi Mal, let us know when you're coming back up to Co.Durham, we can get you number 1,2, 4, 5, 6, 15, 20, 21, 28, 34, 35 & 36 from the comfort of your car.
;)
Steve.

Last edited:
As you're in East Yorkshire, I suggest Blacktoft Sands over the next month or so to tick off some of those waders and perhaps connect with a few more good 'uns. A visit to Flamborough Head in August or September (with favourable winds) should see you connect with terns, skuas and shearwaters.

Hi Mal,
Don't know if I can be much help as my British list is a similar size to yours. Anyway I do have some good news.
I was at Malham Cove about a month ago. Not only did I see the Peregrine from the RSPB view point, I also saw Tawny and Little owl. Both these owl species nest in the vacinity and are seen most days from the RSPB scopes. Red starts are nesting near the actual foot of the Cove and last year there was also a couple of spotted fly catchers (not on your list but always nice to see). I found the RSPB guys friendly and I'm sure they will point you in the direction of any birds. Just hope the weather is on your side mate.

On the saturday before last, I went on the nightjar walk run by the forestry commision at Harewood Dale. At least one pair of the birds showed really well. You may want to consider a similar walk to get your nightjars. I found the walk on the internet, but not sure when the next local one is. Take some insect spray with you as the midges are evil.

Finally, I have seen Woodcock twice at Sewerby Park (Bridlington). Both times they were flushed out of cover by dogs! Not sure if woodcock are resident at the park. I guess I was just lucky!

Anyway Mal, goodluck with your list. I might see you around and about as we both live in East Yorkshire

StevieEvans said:
Hi Mal, let us know when you're coming back up to Co.Durham, we can get you number 1,2, 4, 5, 6, 15, 20, 21, 28, 34, 35 & 36 from the comfort of your car.
;)
Steve.

Steve

I'm up there this weekend - any info or advice would be gratefully received, I sent you a PM ;)

1 out of the 51 is an achievement - 12 would be a stunning event !!

Mal Skelton

skink1978 said:
Hi Mal,
Don't know if I can be much help as my British list is a similar size to yours. Anyway I do have some good news.
I was at Malham Cove about a month ago. Not only did I see the Peregrine from the RSPB view point, I also saw Tawny and Little owl. Both these owl species nest in the vacinity and are seen most days from the RSPB scopes. Red starts are nesting near the actual foot of the Cove and last year there was also a couple of spotted fly catchers (not on your list but always nice to see). I found the RSPB guys friendly and I'm sure they will point you in the direction of any birds. Just hope the weather is on your side mate.

On the saturday before last, I went on the nightjar walk run by the forestry commision at Harewood Dale. At least one pair of the birds showed really well. You may want to consider a similar walk to get your nightjars. I found the walk on the internet, but not sure when the next local one is. Take some insect spray with you as the midges are evil.

Finally, I have seen Woodcock twice at Sewerby Park (Bridlington). Both times they were flushed out of cover by dogs! Not sure if woodcock are resident at the park. I guess I was just lucky!

Anyway Mal, goodluck with your list. I might see you around and about as we both live in East Yorkshire

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I've been trying to persuade the missus to take me to Malham for two months now ( I've only just been able to drive again because of my knee injury ). Somehow I've been given a pass out long enough this Saturday so dad and I are on the way !!

Peregrine is the main focus of the trip - but Little Owl and Redstart would be obviously amazing bonueses. Tawny Owl wasn't even on my radar - so that would be astonishing too.

Have you ever been on the RSPB Bridlington cruises ? The summer one takes in Bempton cliffs whereas the autumn one goes further into the North Sea to attract Skuas and Shearwaters. I'm 99% sure I'm going on one of the autumn ones - but getting my dad down here is a little tricky since he doesn't drive.

I will try and keep this list updated as and when I see stuff

Thanks

Mal Skelton

Hi again Mal,
Another one for your list! Two spoonbills reported at Blacktoft Sands today!! Saw one there last year- great birds.

I havn't been on a RSPB skua cruise yet despite living in Brid. In fact my British List has a serious lack of sea birds, other than the species living on Bempton cliffs. I guess I just don't appreciate whats on my door step. Reckon I'll book myself on a trip this year as its all a bit embarrassing living 2 miles from Flamborough and never have seen a skua!!

As I mentioned above, our lists are a similar size. I also need many of the species on your list so I will be interested in your progress (Especially Long Eared Owl and Goshawk!).
Probably not worth mentioning but I did get Water Rail, Bittern and Hawfinch in one day at Lee Valley (Herts), earlier this year. Its a bit far to travel for three species you can get in Yorkshire. However, if your ever in the area its worth a visit. My girlfriends
from that part of the country so visiting the local reserves is my reward for the million odd jobs I do for my girlfriend's Mum!

Anyway mate, enjoy Malham. If your wife is going aswell she should have a great time. My girlfriend loves it there, especially the scones from the cafe!

Well ... progress has been made - the 150 has been reached ..... and also 151 :D

Walked up to the Cove and as we went through the gate the scopes were on a Little Owl ;) As I got to the scopes they announced it had disappeared amongst the dry stone wall :-C

Couple of minutes later though the two Peregrine young appeared :D

150 - PEREGRINE FALCON

Spent about an hour watching the juveniles and even watched one of the adults bring in a pigeon and had stunning views of three at once.

With our pass out slowly ticking down dad gave me 5 minutes before we had to head back to the car - and then it appeared !!!

151 - LITTLE OWL

I found it and helped everyone get on it - very, very chuffed

So there's the first progress on the list

Mal Skelton

cornielian bay in scarbourgh will get you marsh tit but it is a very steep walk so maybe later, askam bog in york also a lot easier.

goshawk ladybower res near sheffield sunny day in march also raven

black guillemot/hooded crow/chough south stack angelsey

twite spurn in winter but they are mobile if you want to see 60+ in winter down to a few feet then go to whiteholme res near halifax pm for more details they must be toughest birds in the uk!

shearwaters/skuas the rspb trips are a waste of money only 1 or 2 good trips in 18 years? flambourgh is your best bet

pic twite in a gale,1500 altitude ,january 2006,crazy birds!!!!ps you cant see the snow blizzard

Attachments

• twite.jpg
    twite.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 146
Just wanted to update my list a little more :cool:

A short notice trip to Blacktoft Sands on Friday night 7/7/06 meant that I was able to connect with the 2 magnificent Spoonbills that had been resident all week.

Got some superb views - better than I ever expected, especially thrilling when the male Marsh Harrier dropped in over the pool and even Spoonbills take evasive action :-O

There were some lovely views of Snipe, Ruff and Green Sandpiper and also managed to spot the small group of Spotted Redshank

So that's this weeks update, 4 new species in 6 days

152 - SPOONBILL
153 - SPOTTED REDSHANK

Thanks for everyone's help so far

Mal Skelton

Well done on your 150th, and 153rd. I love these sort of threads. I started one a year ago when my life list was in the 170s, and two weeks ago I made it to 200, with everyone's help from Birdforum (my 200th bird was goshawk near Kielder - I just got very, very lucky with that one).

I was interested to see that someone has suggested Cumbria as a possibility for black guillemot. Would it be possible to see this in late October/early November, when I'll be up there on holiday? Could someone give any suggested sites?

Anyway, keep plugging away Mal. I'm sure you'll get to your 200th - it's a wonderful feeling when you do.

Just thought I would update the list slightly, since I've had a couple of productive visits :king:

154 - LITTLE GULL
155 - BLACK TERN
156 - WHOOPER SWAN

Somehow managed to get exemption from a Hornsea shopping visit with the missus, she said I could spend an hour or so at the Mere while she spent. I'd checked Birdguides so was quite suprised to see the Black Terns listed - but obviously with my luck it wasn't going to happen.

When I got there I picked out one of the 1000 Little Gulls pretty quickly, and used my failsafe technique of watching experienced birders and seeing what they were watching. Doing this I picked out the juvenile Black Tern flying past. Also saw a nice Whooper Swan which updated my list since the only one I'd seen before was a plastic at Washington WWT.

157 - COMMON SCOTER
158 - SOOTY SHEARWATER
159 - ARCTIC SKUA
160 - GREAT SKUA
161 - RED THROATED DIVER
162 - MANX SHEARWATER

Signed up for one of the RSPB Skua & Shearwater cruises from Bridlington last weekend and wasn't disappointed. 4 hours - 6 species - £10 !! There were periods where we didn't see anything for ages - but the periods where we did see stuff more than made up for it.

So I'm now at 162 - 38 to go to my big target of 200 !!!

I've not got any ideas in mind now since the cruise - so no idea where number 163 is going to come from

Thanks for everyone's advice so far

Mal Skelton

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back