• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breaking News Official: Malta Spring Hunting Will Remain Closed (1 Viewer)

Thanks Chris,

Great news, anyone caught shooting birds should now be dealt with as a criminal with a gun would I hope. Sorry don't know how else to put that.

Ann :egghead::flowers::t:

Hi Ann and Chris,

It is brilliant news. I guess we have just got to watch this space and see what happens next. We will have to wait for further reports from Birdlife International and see how things go.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
This is excellent news and I applaud the EU for this. However, I am afraid I remain pessimistic. Doesn't it all depend on whether and how rigorously the Maltese government enforces the ban? I am not sure the will is there.

They are not being arested... the one or two caught daily are merely having their shotguns confiscated.

This is far from the end of Spring Hunting in Malta...

Hi PandionMlt,

That is not good news for the birds, no doubt the hunters probably have more than one gun or easily obtain (borrow) another one.

I knew the hunters wouldn't just "stop" but hoped the police would do more than they seem to be to enforce the law, hand out a few fines at least and if caught more than once, jail the offenders.

Ann :-C:egghead:

Times of Malta poll on the EU court ruling.... if you have not voted on this poll yet nows the time.
Current vote for EU ruling is...
YES 72.4%
NO 26.3%
DONT KNOW 1.3%
TOTAL VOTES SO FAR 3614

You will be pleased to know that Turtle Dove presently passing through Crete have increased this year, we have seen more than ever before. Also the Red Footed Falcon are moving through in large numbers, at least they are not [thankfully]getting shot here, the locals seem to be leaving them alone.

Cheers
Col D

the police are doing what they can... but now the hunters and trappers are posting lookouts and informing eachother via radio if birdwatchers or police are in the area.

If you think that just by making hunting illegal will solve the problem it won't!!!
HUNTING IS STILL GOING ON! BIRDS ARE STILL SHOT. MAYBE IN LERSSER NUMBERS AS SOME SELF RESPECTIVE HUNTERS ARE NOT HUNTING BUT STILL WHEN YOU SEE THE LARGE AMOUNT OF HUNTERS THER ARE HERE... : i heard shots from my school (Dingli) this morning and when i go out birding it 's no different!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back