• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebirds sites near Stuttgart? (1 Viewer)

mustap

Will be visiting Stuttgart in late May, and i was hoping to look for some shorebirds while in the area.

Echinger Stausee looks like a great spot, but would take some effort to get there without a rental car (2.5hr drive). I would appreciate any tips on alternate locations to consider.

Thank you.

While not particularly close to Stuttgart (>1h ride by train, or 1h 40 minutes by car, according to Google Maps), Waghäusel (could've sworn it had a page here on the BF Opus, but apparently not) is a safe bet for seeing interesting species. It's famous as a breeding ground for Purple Heron and other rare species of wetlands and riparian forests. It also has a great variety of ducks (depending on season), Water Rail and Bearded Tit are relatively easy to find, and there's often a random odd species around, e.g. Mediterranean Gull, Osprey (more likely in winter though), or Spoonbill. It also has an introduced population of Coypu. However, waders might not be present at some times during the year.
It's pretty well accessible via train (10-15 minutes walk from the local station).

There should be some good locations around the Bodensee, especially the Wollmatinger Ried near Konstanz (local speciality is the Red-crested Pochard). It seems to be easy to access via train, however it's a 3h train ride from Stuttgart.

Federsee might be an interesting option too (as you can see, it has a page on BF); it's 2h by car, however I don't think trains or buses are an option here.

Last edited:
Another good area to check is the Gundelfinger and Leipheimer Moos north of Guenzburg about an hour east of Stuttgart. Access details are in the excellent "Vogelbeobachten in Sueddeutschland" (in German - about €20).

Lake Constance is another area to consider. Good places include Eriskircher Ried near Friedrichshafen, Radolfzeller Aachmuendung near Radolfzell and the Wollmatinger Ried. Again, details to all areas in the book.

Stuttgart is also a great place to catch up with Collared Flycatcher, if you still need that species.

Thank you very much for the prompt responses, greatly appreciated!

Collared Flycatcher would certainly be new - and any targets or locations to focus on in town are appreciated.
I will certainly look at opportunities for travel to the other sites - but hope to enjoy Stuttgart as well.

Will be visiting Stuttgart in late May, and i was hoping to look for some shorebirds while in the area.

Echinger Stausee looks like a great spot, but would take some effort to get there without a rental car (2.5hr drive). I would appreciate any tips on alternate locations to consider.

Thank you.
I visit my daughter near Mohringen just South of Stuttgart several times a year. From her apartment balcony which overlooks a road called Korschwiesen and a small stream called the Korsch which leads down to woodland and meadows I have seen Crested Tit, Marsh Tit( probably ) plus the rest of the common tit family. Black Redstarts, Tree Sparrows, Nuthatch, and infrequently Hawfinch all coming to feeders in the gardens. Green and Greater Spotted woodpecker are regular too.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.7170032,9.1663613,17z

I heard that Mössingen is a good place to find Collared Flycatcher. But you might be lucky even closer to Stuttgart, I guess (have yet to see that species myself...).
Also, if you're interested in seeing Dipper, they're fairly easy to find in and around Tübingen and particularly in the Alb region.

Stuttgart-Plieningen (esp. Hohenheim) looks like a good spot for Collared Flycatcher according to www.ornitho.de. This is a good resource for finding birds, although it's a bit cumbersome if you're not a regularly contributing member. I think if you subscribe, you can at least search the latest two weeks of sightings, which should suffice for you.
The easiest way to look at recent sightings is by going to the "last 2 days", then select BW (Baden-Württemberg state) and then the abbreviation of the district you're interested in (e.g. S = Stuttgart). You can find the abbreviations (which are also used on car licence plates) easily on the web, e.g. here: https://www.europeanplates.com/information/german-city-codes.html.

Seems like there is a spot for collared flycatcher close to Stuttgart, per eBird. Orchard & Streuobstwiese Dettenhausen/Waldenbuch, Baden-Württemberg, DE ( 48°37'04.5"N 9°07'17.6"E ). Per comments there were nest boxes being used there. But not sure if publicly accessible/visible or not. Presume you could spot one from the road with a scope.

In Stuttgart at Cannstadt railway station breeds last year Melodius Warbler.
Check ornitho.de for Orpheusspoetter.
I never saw them in Germany, I have to go there in his time.

Collared Flycatcher is at Danube near Leipheim ( close to Guenzburg ).
Around Guenzburg also shorebirds even it is not the best time.
But sometimes rarities like Pacific Golden Plover or Terek sandpiper.
Drive over the Danube bridge in Leipheim, turn right and walk a couple of hundret meters at the Danube.
Guenzburg area give You a big variety of different birds.
70 different birds is possible on one day.

Maps You see here
http://www.birdinggermany.de/guenzburg.htm

Last edited:
Seems like there is a spot for collared flycatcher close to Stuttgart, per eBird. Orchard & Streuobstwiese Dettenhausen/Waldenbuch, Baden-Württemberg, DE ( 48°37'04.5"N 9°07'17.6"E ). Per comments there were nest boxes being used there. But not sure if publicly accessible/visible or not. Presume you could spot one from the road with a scope.
I think there should be no issue getting close. Five males were reported in a small area between Dettenhausen and Waldenbuch last year (exact locations given in ornitho.de).
In Germany, only in nature reserves, military zones, quarries and private gardens access is really restricted.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back