• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whooper Swan in England during Summer? (1 Viewer)

Puffins4Life

Puffins4Life
Today I saw a Whooper Swan on the River Nidd in North Yorkshire, England. Why has it not returned to Iceland? Is he not allowed due to quarantine?;)

Attachments

• rsz_2img_6857.jpg
    rsz_2img_6857.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 51
Haha, in fact it could well be from Fountains Abbey/ Studley Royal where for years there have been some Whoopers which can fly but are no doubt originally captive bred and non- migratory.

Whoopers sometimes over summer. It may be because they're injured or unwell so couldn't migrate. They're known to breed in Britain too.

Good points Andrew, but the location of this individual so close to the feral Fountains birds makes me think it’s (probably!) not of wild origin.

Ya, this area of the Nidd is close to Ripley, which is kind of close to Fountains Abbey. I walk down here all the time for the past two years and have never seen a Whooper Swan. I've not seen a Whooper at Fountains Abbey either, at least not over the last winter.

An adult Whooper spent some time in my local area last June mingling with the resident Mute Swans that frequent a small estuary at Haverigg in the south west corner of Cumbria.

At low tide it spent time feeding out on the mudflats of the River Duddon estuary. It appeared to have some problem with its foot, often lifting it off the ground and shaking it vigorously. However, it didn't have a limp when it walked and appeared to be otherwise healthy.

At high tide it was feeding with the Mute swans in a small subsidiary estuary. It was as approachable as the Mute Swans so I couldn't decide whether it was an escaped bird or whether it was an individual that spent the winter at one of the WWT reserves and was therefore less bothered by the approach of humans, but had been unable to follow other Whoopers on their journey north.

Whatever the reason for its presence it disappeared after a couple of weeks and wasn't seen again.

Ya, this area of the Nidd is close to Ripley, which is kind of close to Fountains Abbey. I walk down here all the time for the past two years and have never seen a Whooper Swan. I've not seen a Whooper at Fountains Abbey either, at least not over the last winter.

Ah, apologies, I’m probably out of date regarding the presence of the Whoopers at Fountains then, no doubt one of the local birders will have more up to date info on this bird.

I'm going to chalk it up to an injured or sick bird who missed the window to get back to Iceland. I'll check again next time I'm at the river to see if it is still around.

There's been a couple around Tyneside (southeast Northumbs and northeast Co Durham) until about a week ago; one of them was caught and colour-ringed (yellow ZHZ), the other unringed. Not sure if either has been seen in the last week though. Photo: 20 May, Killingworth Lake, Northumbs.

Attachments

• IMG_3258lo.jpg
    IMG_3258lo.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 23
He/she seems to have turned up at Gunknowe Loch in Tweedbank, Scottish Borders; seen on 3rd and 27th November, and apparently well integrated with the local numerous mute swans.

Attachments

• WhooperSwan-ZHZ.jpg
    WhooperSwan-ZHZ.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 5
If you're on twitter, go to @andyrick_birds he ringed it in May 2020 at Killingworth Lake, Northumbs. I can pass the details on to him too.

PS Welcome to Birdforum!

Thanks, Nutcracker; I have been in contact with Andy, and found a bit more about ZHZ. He seems to have stayed in the UK this summer, since Andy has had a number of reports of him on the Tweed, and on Gunknowe Loch.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back