• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumblebees nesting in a bird nest box (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

I have this afternoon noticed that Bumblebees are in and around a bird nest box in my garden. They are too quick for a decent image but I managed a couple which I have brightened to see if anyone can ID them. I have tried to ID them and wonder if they are Tree Bumblebees B.hypnorum, they are a rich brown colour though what the rest of the body colour is I cannot see as they are very flighty.
I am very concerned about them nesting in my garden as I have 2 young Grandsons that regularly play in the garden.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• P1100333.JPG
    P1100333.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 92
  • P1100335.JPG
    P1100335.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 99
bumblees sting rarely unless nest attacked. your concern is natural but just warn the kids off.
these bees are at threat but we badly need them for pollination.
unless you know the children are allergic i wouldn't worry or move the nest. maybe get a childrens antihistamine in case.
i spent my childhood with every moment i could outside in the gardens and country foraging and playing and only ever got stung once, by a wasp that wanted to share a jam sandwich

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply Jape.

I am aware of the decline in Bee populations and certainly do not intend having the nest exterminated. I will try and get some advice from local beekeepers.

I do not wish to take the risk of a football or suchlike hitting the nest or even striking something close by and disturbing the bees and making them angry! I will wait and see if the amount of bees increases as this will also determine if any action will be taken. By the way my Grandsons are 'Wildlife friendly' but boys will be boys!;)

Is there a way you can cover the front and then move the nest box out the way and then uncover it so they can carry on using, if not maybe a local bee keeper can make use of them.

Is there a way you can cover the front and then move the nest box out the way and then uncover it so they can carry on using, if not maybe a local bee keeper can make use of them.

The nest box is fixed to a Crab apple tree so removing the box would be a disturbance in itself, I would not wish to attempt moving the box. A local beekeeper seems to be the way to go at present.

Hi Pam. We have bumble bees nesting in a hole in the wall next to the kitchen door. They've been zero issue with the children (7 and 11). It's a pleasure watching them back and fore. Will need to keep an eye on the pup though when he arrives in 2 weeks8-P

Hi Pam. We have bumble bees nesting in a hole in the wall next to the kitchen door. They've been zero issue with the children (7 and 11). It's a pleasure watching them back and fore. Will need to keep an eye on the pup though when he arrives in 2 weeks8-P

I have to admit that having been stung several times when I was in my 'youth' I am hesitant myself having them around. My two are 8 and 5 and very lively. lol

Have fun with your pup!:t:

I have to admit that having been stung several times when I was in my 'youth' I am hesitant myself having them around. My two are 8 and 5 and very lively. lol

Have fun with your pup!:t:
Lol. I was stung loads of times as well. I remember cycling past one of those lilac coloured bushes that attracts bees and butterflies with my mouth open. Only made that painful mistake once:-O

Rich

I had a colony last year and they were delightful, although I do share your concerns. We need these bees so badly. Live and let live.

Lol. I was stung loads of times as well. I remember cycling past one of those lilac coloured bushes that attracts bees and butterflies with my mouth open. Only made that painful mistake once:-O

Rich
Ouch!!!!!:eek!:

I had a colony last year and they were delightful, although I do share your concerns. We need these bees so badly. Live and let live.

I agree live and let live but I do have my Grandsons to consider otherwise they would not be a problem.... the bees not the Grandsons. I returned from shopping this morning and spotted the squirrel that frequents the garden, now that could be an issue as they are not fussed where they roam!

I have just contacted a local Beekeepers Association and all being well someone will be calling this evening to check out the species ( I reckon they are Tree Bumblebees) and offer some advice.

My daughter has just text me to say there were 2 Squirrels chasing around in my garden on Saturday, I have been away for a few days so she had the job of watering etc! Two squirrels may be a bigger problem!

A short update.

The Bumblebees are still present in my garden, I will leave them alone as long as they leave me alone. I initially contacted my local Beekeepers Association branch but failed to get even a courtesy call.

No surprise at all at the lack of response from the local beekeepers, they are only interested in the commercial value of honey bees and would't be interested in bumblebees. Your bees should pose no threat at all, in 40 years of bumblebee study etc. I have never had any problem with them attacking unless they are seriously provoked, a football hitting the box wouldn't normally be enough to elicit an attack by the bees. They are far more concerned with their own well being than attacking. Think about it, a small colony (there will probably be no more than about 40 bees in residence in your box) losing a member or two through attacking a 'predator' could result in the loss of the colony die to the reduced amount of food coming in to the nest, whereas in honeybee colonies of many hundreds/thousands a few losses are no big deal.
My advice would be that of others, leave them be, enjoy them and appreciate them while they're still here, in my area it's been an awful season for most insects, but bumblebees seem to have been most hard hit by the March snow, so any loss of a colony will have knock-on effects for years to come.

The activity around the nest box had ceased for a couple of weeks, so time to check out the contents. Sadly a Wax moth had laid a cluster of eggs in the nest! A blanket/screen of tough silk was the first sign of something amiss and after eventually managing to penetrate the extremely tough silk the caterpillars in their 'tunnels' were clearly seen!

Such a pity that the Tree Bumblebees nest had been invaded, they had been no trouble at all!

The fish in my garden pond enjoyed a tasty treat last night!

Attachments

• P1100965.JPG
    P1100965.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 13
  • P1100966.JPG
    P1100966.JPG
    337.9 KB · Views: 13
  • P1100967.JPG
    P1100967.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P1100973.JPG
    P1100973.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 12
  • P1100978.JPG
    P1100978.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 15
We had tree bumble bees (Bombus hypnorum) in our roof in 2016 and 2017, and their colony just disappeared in late June each time. I thought that was normal for tree bees.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back