• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New French Moth Guide (1 Viewer)

black52bird

Dear Friends

No moths to report, but while I was in Milan (where I lived 1986-1998, by the way) for work last week I went into on of my favourite bookshops - the wonderful Libreria della Natura in Corso Magenta 48 - a fabulous nature bookshop covering all areas with books from all over the world, and what should I find but a simply gorgeous new French moth guide. Details:

Guide des Papillons Nocturnes de France
Coordonne par Roland Robineau
Published by: Delachaux & Niestle (2007)
ISBN: 978-2-603-01429-5

It covers 1620 species of Macro moths, with 55 full-colour plates of the species, including many marking variations. The illustrations are beautifully presented life-size photographs of pinned specimens. There are 17 pages of Introduction, and then 135 pages with a brief description of each species, and occasional drawings to clarify similarities between species. It is, of course, all in French. It was put together by a group of serious amateurs.

It will be a real godsend to me, as it plainly includes many species not on the British List, which occur here in Hungary, but it should be excellent for everyone in Europe, including those in GB, as there is a mass of shared species.
Nerine - I should imagine you will be delighted!!

Very best

David

Nerine - I should imagine you will be delighted!!

Sounds excellent, David and thanks for the recommendation. I see it can be bought from amazon.fr too, and at the same price as quoted on the website davidg gave.
I hope Santa knows about this.;)

Nerine

I think there were various reviews/comments on this on the UKmoths Yahoogroups. I cannot remember what was said but I seem to remember that it was regarded as comparable with Skinner - i.e. perhaps not quite so user-friendly as Waring & T. But clearly if you live in continental Europe it's a godsend.
Ken

PS Ran the trap yesterday evening and got one mottled umber!

Just picked up on this.

I bought this guide prior to going to Normandy last August and would say it is invaluable for mothing in France. Yes it's in French, but is well written and illustrated. I took both this and WTL with me, and to be honest didn't much use the latter (but then I never had problems using Skinner either, and still refer to it). I also subsequently took it with me to Bulgaria, and although the fauna there is more varied, it still proved far more useful than the British-biased guide.

I ordered from Amazon.fr, and the price is ridiculously cheap compared to how much it would be if it were a British book.

A definite must-buy!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back