• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdsongs for ID - Ottawa, ON (1 Viewer)

Gillian_M

Birding since 2006!
I heard a couple of interesting birds on the weekend that I'm not sure of the ID. Both singers were in small patches of woods bordering on scrubby meadow-type habitats. The first one is likely a warbler, but I'm not sure which one. It sounded like it was right in front of me but I couldn't locate it.

You will need to turn up the volume on the second one, as it was further away. This was an interesting three-part song, one I heard twice this past weekend in two different conservation areas. It begins with a sort of a ch-ch-ch-ch-ch, then has a distinctive weee-weee followed by a trill, then goes right back to the first ch-ch-ch-ch notes and repeats the song.

Hopefully some is familiar with these songs and can let me know the identity of the singer!

Thanks!

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/...ongs/?action=view&current=ShirleysBay1271.flv

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/...ongs/?action=view&current=ShirleysBay1269.flv

The first one is a Tennessee Warbler. It appears to be leaving off the third part: a faster trill at the end. This may the warblers secondary song (experts can confirm), but I'd expect it to be more distinct. This individual is probably just leaving it off. Notice the introductory "wick-a wick-a wick-a"

The next bird I didn't recognize at first, but it's a Field Sparrow. This one is definitely its variant song, usually heard more frequently in the morning. The regular version has the same soft quality, but accelerates in a "bouncing ball" pattern. "Teew teew teewteewteew tewtewteteteteee"

Agreed - nice recordings. I find that a lot of Tennessee's sound like this - more two part with a stutter than three part to my ears.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to listen to the Tennessee Warbler to learn its song; that really makes me wish I had seen this bird, as it would be the first of the year for me and only the second one I've seen in my life. And he sounded like he was right in front of me!!!!

As for the Field Sparrow, I am familiar with the "bouncing ball" song and hear it often in both places that I heard the three-part song. I've never heard that song rendition before, and didn't know they had more than one song!

Before reading any of the responses I decided that the first bird sounded like two thirds of the song of a Tennessee Warbler also. I have never heard it give that abbreviated song though.

I was not aware that Field Sparrow's had an alternate song either. But I see in my Pete Dunne's Essential Field Guide Companion that it notes regarding Field Sparrow "sometimes gives a two-part trill, the second usually higher-pitched and faster". I think that is the alternate song we are hearing here.

Interesting thread.

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back