• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Tardis appears in north Norfolk in Celtic FC colours ?

In the absence of many birds today, this was a notable ‘find’, on the coast road in Sheringham. Since the new Dr Who series has just been launched, it seems he may have had an away-weekend in East Anglia.

In a cold wind, Salthouse yielded a lone Wheatear, silhouetted against the skyline on the Little Eye.

The field east of the East Bank, at Cley, was sprouting with a multitude of fungi- not mush room for anything else, save for the geese and pigeons !

Friary Hills might have been better: Eddie M picked up a male White Wagtail in his ‘scope, which flew away almost immediately SW. A Med Gull was heard and he related how he and A.N. Other had relocated the Iberian Chiffchaff this morning at Stiffkey ‘around the corner’- in the copse just further west along the coast path.

Attachments

• 010pse.jpg
    010pse.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 61
A Med Gull was heard and he related how he and A.N. Other had relocated the Iberian Chiffchaff this morning at Stiffkey ‘around the corner’- in the copse just further west along the coast path.

That's one clever Med Gull. I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with its ability to relocate and identify an Iberian Chiffchaff or its ability to communicate the fact to you. Whatever will it find next, and will we get to hear about it? I suppose they don't carry mobile phones...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

[/QUOTE]A Med Gull was heard and he related how he and A.N. Other had relocated the Iberian Chiffchaff this morning at Stiffkey ‘around the corner’- in the copse just further west along the coast path.[/QUOTE]

I have heard it was silent (the chiffy, not to Med Gull!) so a good call in all! (but maybe that is why this news didn't get onto the pager!?!)
To see a couple of pics of the Chiff from yday, see my blog!!
http://ruralchill.blogspot.com/2010/04/exclusive-iberian-chiffchaff-pics-by.html

Birding in Norfolk is so last year, suffolk is where its at !!

A couple of tarts ticks, no thanks! If Suffolk is really so good then why would they need to count everything on Breydon water as their own!;)

The only thing happening in Suffolk is the mighty Tractorboys surge for the playoffs!

Anyway here's a shameless plug for my new blog. Just click on the link below.

Simon

Spanish phyllosc yesterday a bit wobbly ?

I have spoken to both observers of the bird yesterday, I was told that it was heard singing, albeit in a desultory fashion. However, since it was neither warm nor sunny when this occurred, it’s not surprising. One was much more confident of the ID than the other.

Dave A: thanks for the Media Gull comments- they had me in stitches. The hospital said they can come out in a week or so. Also, for the Grey Waggie sexing (you can get 5 years for that!) info. I don’t see them often enough on the coast to know that kind of thing.

'Lightthiscandle': very clever, too.

Last edited:
I watch Norfolk and Suffolk

It is easier for me to get from Norwich to Westleton Heath for the lesser kestrel than places from Titchwell round to Snettisham. Ticked.

Suffolk birders consider the centre of the river channel at Breydon to be the county (or listing area) boundary. South Wall has been in Norfolk since 1974

The killdeer found on Easter Monday 2005 was south of Breydon. Thus it can be counted in both counties.

The booted warbler at the south end of Gorleston in 1996 is in the Watsonian vice-County of East Suffolk and counted as a Suffolk bird by many. Gorleston has always been in Norfolk.

I saw my first Breydon Kentish plover in 1994. North side. A July 2005 Kentish was seen, unlike many waders on the south side so countable as Suffolk!

The great not was always north of the river channel. Never been accepted as a great knot so the bird isn't on the Norfolk list. The putative bird never set foot in Suffolk.

Norfolk v Suffolk

Conversely, it's almost 50 miles in any direction for me to leave Norfolk.

Therefore, apart from the environmental considerations (meaning I largely confine myself to the north coast), I tend to bird in Norfolk.

I have nothing against Suffolk (I'm reminded of the Peter Cook 'unidexter' sketch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Leg_Too_Few ), save its distance. There are some superb birding sites there (who could fail to be impressed by Minsmere RSPB, apart from some unergonomic hides), a few of the loveliest English towns and it houses some of the UK's best birders.

I shall not need much of an excuse to cross the border after work later in the year.

Last edited:
I was joking, doesn't happen very often but suffolk has definitely stole the lime light in the last week

Seeing pallid and alpine swift flying around together was pretty awesome

Here's to Norwich doing the double over ipswich next season;)

A couple of tarts ticks, no thanks! If Suffolk is really so good then why would they need to count everything on Breydon water as their own!;)

The only thing happening in Suffolk is the mighty Tractorboys surge for the playoffs!

Anyway here's a shameless plug for my new blog. Just click on the link below.

Simon

One criticism regarding your blog Simon....

....why did you not share it with us sooner!? 10/10 :t:

James

Thanks guys, glad you liked it.

I have only just set it up over the last week or so but back dated the posts to the start of the year so it just looks like I've been supressing it! I'm also starting to try to add a few more from last autumn when I have the time.

Regards

Simon

Four stone curlew from Weeting west hide this sfternoon.

After seeing nothing a bird was spotted by some nettles. Of two shapes on the ridge could not be sure which of the two was a stoney. Problem solved when two birds got up. Birds walked around along the ridge and just over it. Two others to the right. All settled down by the time I left but one remained on view if you knew where to look.

Tractorboy69 et al. I often find this bird easier to see in Suffolk not this year.

Stiffkey Fen

Hi all!
Hoping to be on the NN coast tomorrow at some point, just noticed the Ib. Chiff. has been reported again, will probably have a look for it. Am I correct in thinking that Stiffkey Fen is between the coast and the A149, just east of the village? Looking at maps it appears to be off a path that runs down from the road, but can't recall any parking areas there. Any confirmation that I'd be in the right place would be appreciated.

I also noticed it was down as a defo on Birdguides for the first time today.

Regards.

You are thinking off the right place. Parking is very limited, there is space for a few cars in a pull in north of the A149 just east of the village (after a sharp bend) and then a footpath along the south side of the road as far as a bridge over the stream. Here you take the footpath towards the coast to Stiffkey Fen. Alternatively you could park at Stiffkey beach car park and walk east along the coastal footpath. Its further to walk, but more chance of being able to park!

I presume that now the photos and recordings from the first day have been distributed the bird news services are happy with the ID. I would think most Iberian Chiffchaffs begin life as "possibles" or "probables" until song recordings have been analysed!

Hi all!
Hoping to be on the NN coast tomorrow at some point, just noticed the Ib. Chiff. has been reported again, will probably have a look for it. Am I correct in thinking that Stiffkey Fen is between the coast and the A149, just east of the village? Looking at maps it appears to be off a path that runs down from the road, but can't recall any parking areas there. Any confirmation that I'd be in the right place would be appreciated.

I also noticed it was down as a defo on Birdguides for the first time today.

Regards.

You are thinking off the right place. Parking is very limited, there is space for a few cars in a pull in north of the A149 just east of the village (after a sharp bend) and then a footpath along the south side of the road as far as a bridge over the stream. Here you take the footpath towards the coast to Stiffkey Fen. Alternatively you could park at Stiffkey beach car park and walk east along the coastal footpath. Its further to walk, but more chance of being able to park!

I presume that now the photos and recordings from the first day have been distributed the bird news services are happy with the ID. I would think most Iberian Chiffchaffs begin life as "possibles" or "probables" until song recordings have been analysed!

Thanks James, much appreciated.

I know the beach car park on the other side, so that is a good option. There doesn't seem to be much of a stampede to see this, so parking may not be a problem :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back