• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a juvenile coal tit? (1 Viewer)

NearlyNoviceBirder

It has just had a bath - does that account for its salt and pepper head, or is it an effect of moulting/regrowing?

Attachments

• P1020261-001.JPG
    P1020261-001.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 454
It is not a juvenile plumage effect, although if the photo was taken recently then it will have moulted into its adult plumage by now anyway. The salt and pepper effect looks to be a mixture of mixed up head feathers after a bath, light reflecting from behind on fluffed up feathers, and some pigment loss in some of the head feathers as well.

He/she doesn't look in the best of health either....

Agree on leucistic Coal Tit.

Do notice that "partial albino" makes as little sense as "she was slightly pregnant"3:)

Best regards Peter;)
I'm aware there are some factions around that are attempting to ban the use of the term 'partial albino', but it just means 'partly white' as opposed to the traditional meaning of leucistic, which means uniformly pale (not pure white) all over.

It's a bit like those who state that steam is invisible, but if you ask the Anglo-saxons who invented the word, it means the visible cloud of condensed water, not the invisible water vapour which they couldn't know about :t:

I'm aware there are some factions around that are attempting to ban the use of the term 'partial albino', but it just means 'partly white' as opposed to the traditional meaning of leucistic, which means uniformly pale (not pure white) all over.

It's a bit like those who state that steam is invisible, but if you ask the Anglo-saxons who invented the word, it means the visible cloud of condensed water, not the invisible water vapour which they couldn't know about :t:

Albino is a condition (lacking all pigment) just as pregnancy (having an embryo in the womb) is a condition, and it thus just doesn't make more sense to describe a partly white bird as being "partial albino" than it does does to describe a woman in, say, fourth month of pregnancy as "partial pregnant"

;) Peter

But if something is lacking all pigment in just part of its body, then partial albinism is applicable ;)

Numerous sources still use this definition :t:

Is there a difference between albino and albinism? If not both partial albino and partial albinism would be """incorrect""".

Easier just to say leucistic for these not albinos. It's only one word.

Is there a difference between albino and albinism? If not both partial albino and partial albinism would be """incorrect""".

Agree, it is incorrect to name any living creature with any pigment as albino so let's just stick to the broad, correct and easily understood term "leucistic" for these abberant critters:t:

Because there's two different types of plumage variant involved, and it makes excellent sense to have different names for them:

Pic 1 - normal
Pic 2 - leucistic
Pic 3 - partial albino
Pic 4 - full albino

(photoshopped from USFWS pic)

Attachments

• Turdus_migratorius.jpg
    Turdus_migratorius.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Turdus_migratorius_leucistic.jpg
    Turdus_migratorius_leucistic.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Turdus_migratorius_partalbino.jpg
    Turdus_migratorius_partalbino.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Turdus_migratorius_albino.jpg
    Turdus_migratorius_albino.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 30
Because there's two different types of plumage variant involved, and it makes excellent sense to have different names for them:

Pic 1 - normal
Pic 2 - leucistic
Pic 3 - partial albino
Pic 4 - full albino

(photoshopped from USFWS pic)

I believe there is contention over the definition of albinism, but I would say that 3 is partially leucistic.

Richard.

I believe there is contention over the definition of albinism, but I would say that 3 is partially leucistic.

Richard.

As would I.

Image 2 is the far less typical "leucism" variety. 2 is probably better called schizochroistic rather than leucistic. This means that the plumage is lacking pigment in general rather than the complete white areas often associated with leucism.

Of course, any lack of pigment with the exception of total (albinism) can "correctly" be called leucism. There are just different words thrown around here and there ;)

.... let's just stick to the broad, correct and easily understood term

I think for the average person in the street, the term 'partial albino' is going to more more easily understood than 'partially leucistic'.

Try it on your non-birding neighbour who asks about the odd coloured bird in their garden - 'Oh it's just a usual crow, but suffering from partial leucism'. Would half expect them to either roll their eyes or be on the phone calling the RSPCA to ask them to come and get the bird with this exotic disease ;)

I think for the average person in the street, the term 'partial albino' is going to more more easily understood than 'partially leucistic'.

Try it on your non-birding neighbour who asks about the odd coloured bird in their garden - 'Oh it's just a usual crow, but suffering from partial leucism'. Would half expect them to either roll their eyes or be on the phone calling the RSPCA to ask them to come and get the bird with this exotic disease ;)

Too be quite fair, there isn't much that is complicated about "leucism: means there is some colour loss" ;)

Still, I can easily see the above scenario occurring. Ah well, we'll live.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back