• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sir David ...what are we going to do without him? (1 Viewer)

Touty said:
I find it amazing that the BBC allows its material to be "messed with" in such a manner. Is it just that the subtitles don't correspond to the voiceover?
There's the catch: the voice over will be in Dutch unless the speaker is shown. Some parts are edited out – you can guess which ones!

Leading scores on the doors so far are:

Chris Packham 6 votes
Charlotte Uhlenbroek 4 votes
Simon King 4 votes
Fergal Keane 2 votes
Nick Baker 2 votes

mothman said:
A well known Wildlife Photographer/presenter friend of mine has worked with Packham on many occasions and really rates him highly as a nice bloke and a knowledgeable professional.

Fair enough, I've never met him, just going by what i see on the telly. It's hard to put my finger on it - maybe a bit humourless and 'cool' is what i mean? Not sure. Maybe because he's still fairly young, and would come across better when he's older? His pronunciation has changed massively since his early days though, he's clearly worked on it a lot.

Poecile said:
If Ben Fogle, Bill Oddie or Titch get it, I'll sell my telly. Titchmarsh has that annoyingly patronising way of speaking that goes down well on afternoon TV with Fern Britton, but hardly carries authority. That series of his was narrated like he was doign Jackanory.

Can you imagine Alan trying to interpret the scene from ''the trials of life'' when the chimps are hunting down colobus monkeys through the tree tops-catch one and then start eating it!

Didn't think so ;)

Johnny Kingdom should do it?

Matt

Personally,I reckon the beeb will come up with an unkown from somewhere?

Someone with all the degrees in all the right places but with out the ''stigma'' of being judged by their previous work history?

Matt

Poecile said:
Fair enough, I've never met him, just going by what i see on the telly. It's hard to put my finger on it - maybe a bit humourless and 'cool' is what i mean? Not sure. Maybe because he's still fairly young, and would come across better when he's older? His pronunciation has changed massively since his early days though, he's clearly worked on it a lot.
Yes I think that is the problem, he has to work hard on his impediment and comes across as over serious, he apparently has a filthy sense of humour though.

Presenting is an under rated game and so much harder than you can imagine.

I did a pre recorded seven minute one off slot on countryfile about a couple of summers ago about moth trapping in suburban gardens.

It took nearly ten hours to film!

I thought I was bloody great....until I watched it

The twitchy looking bloke with the voice of Norm from the Twix advert on my screen was a real shock.

My hat is firmly off to anybody that makes even just a reasonable job of presenting themselves on screen.

Last edited:
Poecile said:
Fair enough, I've never met him, just going by what i see on the telly. It's hard to put my finger on it - maybe a bit humourless and 'cool' is what i mean?

I spoke to him briefly last year when he was up here filming the capercaillie drive count at Glen Tanar for Nature's Calendar. He did seem quite aloof and humourless at first but livened up as the day went on. He was quite jovial by the end of the day.

Maybe they'll decide not to replace him with one person, but share out his stuff amongst a number of presenters, depending on the subject. It would make sense as there is no one with his all round ability. This would also take the pressure off the beeb as they will be accused of picking the wrong person who ever it is, and the presenter.

The only way they can get it right is to scour the emerging talent on the backwater TV stations for someone who comes across as mildly affable yet intelligent and put him right into it as a fresh face with no past. Possibly two faces to solve the sexism angle.

Of course it doesn't matter who they pick because TV documentaries will never be as good as they used to be as long as programme makers continue with the current trend of making 15 minutes of material to fill half an hour. First they show you the highlights of what you're about to see, then they show you it, then (to recap) they show you the highlights of what you've just seen.

ghostrider said:
Also what about the indian guy who's done the tiger programs? Can't remember his name but he has a voice i could listen to all day.

Yeah, this huge fat guy from India was good!

One from "Wild India" and other about four big cats and tigers in Ranthambore. And his footage was very good too! And looked like somebody who knows biology.

Andrew said:
The only way they can get it right is to scour the emerging talent on the backwater TV stations for someone who comes across as mildly affable yet intelligent and put him right into it as a fresh face with no past. Possibly two faces to solve the sexism angle.

That is what is so wrong with so much of our television. Two people doing the job of one just in case a professional victim complains about being offended by something that isn't even there. Man or woman, it doesn't matter who they pick as long as they can do the job, but certainly no quotas.

Capercaillie71 said:
I spoke to him briefly last year when he was up here filming the capercaillie drive count at Glen Tanar for Nature's Calendar. He did seem quite aloof and humourless at first but livened up as the day went on. He was quite jovial by the end of the day.

Hip flask?

Andrew said:

yeah, but when they've done that before, they came up with Johnny Kingdom and Alan Titchmarsh!

I seriously doubt whether they want another David Attenborough. They're still stuck in this mentality of having to compete and take viewers off ITV and the other commercial stations, so they probably think they need a Steve Irwin to appeal to the kids (cos it's kids who determine what shows are on in the house, apparently, and adults are increasingly being fed kid-type TV). If you look at who they've been sticking in front of cameras for wildlife shows recently, we've got Oddie, Fogle and Humble. Even Uhlenbroek is now doing some reality Tv show competition safari bollox on the beeb.

If you take the springwatch thing as an example, Humble was perfectly cast as the layman to put questions to the expert on what is really a complex and difficult subject (phenology and ecology). Who did they think was a suitable expert? Bill Oddie. He is completely miscast in that role, as not only do many people find him irritating (obviously including Humble every time he gurns to camera while she's trying to do a link), but he actually knows sod all about the subject, as becomes apparent when he ad-libs answers to questions thrown up by the live footage. He just hasn't got the knowledge to wing it like that, and ends up spouting total rubbish. He would have been better cast as the layman, in Humble's role, with a genuine expert of the Attenborough or Uhlenbroek ilk who could interpret what's going on.

But that's what the BBC think these days, that if you've got binoculars then you're an ornithologist, and you must know it all. No matter that Oddie is more of a BB reader than Ibis. They need to go trawling round universities and research depts more, and finding more people like the woman off Don't Die Young.

Dr Alice Roberts off don't die young she's really good.
She was also part of the presenting team on the excellent BBC series "Coast"

Bill Oddie knows more about birds than David Attenborough. Attenborough admits apart from fossils its people around him that are the experts is job is to present it to the laymen.

At the end of the day it was his drive and ideas that help create an excellent natural history unit, they are still there, the animals are still there, the technology is getting better meaning each new series gives a better and incredible insight and images into nature.

He is irreplaceable and it best not to try replace him just continue to enjoy the programmes that if wasn't for him might not have been the same.

If you want to learn about indepth science you read books not watch prime time TV.
Also Poecile
for more educational try open university
for more predatator kills try channel 5
for animal sex I am glad to say I have no idea, nor do I wish to. ;)

Last edited:
Attenborough is a true legend, but every time I see him on the telly he looks older and older. I like Chris Packham, he is a real expert on birds and us lot would probably find it more interesting with him. In Bill Oddie's latest series I have seen more birds flying past in the background in one episode than he has actually mentioned in the whole series. I remember the one with the whales, and there were Great Shearwaters flying about everywhere. What happens, nothing, they just disappear and we see no more. While Oddie creates interest in wildlife for non-birders, Packham is one of us and would show much more of the birds, which I would like.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back