• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron confusion (1 Viewer)

guilty as charged Scampo :eek!:

one detention for me then :-C

it was a light-hearted attempt to 'lump' a large heterogeneous group together and I guess has failed - no offence to anyone of course - I shall quickly purchase a pair to avoid a good beating from the 'brigade' next time they turn up at Waxham

P.S. Swaro owners - I'm 5ft 2 and ginger ;)

(-:

Sorry if I missed the humour. Detention cancelled. Just write a hundred times, "Swarovski make the best binos", okay?

I agree with Tim - there is a certain group of people who buy Swarovskis just because they consider them to be the best. We're back to the marketing hype again. I think these are the people that we call 'dudes'. Those who are retired, have more money than sense, decide to take up birdwatching and just go out and buy the most expensive thing on the shelf because they can.

I also agree with Steve that not all Swaro users are like this.

Someone who visits the university to do work for his degree was asking me about birding a few months ago. He has MS and cannot get out very far and he was talking about getting some bins just for watching the birds in his back garden. I said that he must go and try as many different brands as possible to see which ones were best for his eyes. He is very opinionated and said he would just get the Swaros as they must be the best ones due to the price.

Hi Guys,

Been following the thread with interest....

I'm not really in the market, but just for interest, roughly how much are the Nikon HGs??

Just BTW.... I have a pair of Opticron compakts that cost me £90-odd, and the only BINs that I have ever looked through that are IMMEDIATELY & SIGNIFICANTLY better were a pair of Leica something-or-others that were £800-odd.

Sure other BINs have been a bit better (maybe) but I'm not really inclined to shell out £300, £400 or £500 for something that is just a bit better. When you take hand-shake etc into account, I'm not sure how much of a benefit you would actually achieve out in the field.

Just my 2p (retreats hurredly behind parapet!!)

Ruby

Ruby said:
Hi Guys,

Been following the thread with interest....

I'm not really in the market, but just for interest, roughly how much are the Nikon HGs??

Just BTW.... I have a pair of Opticron compakts that cost me £90-odd, and the only BINs that I have ever looked through that are IMMEDIATELY & SIGNIFICANTLY better were a pair of Leica something-or-others that were £800-odd.

Sure other BINs have been a bit better (maybe) but I'm not really inclined to shell out £300, £400 or £500 for something that is just a bit better. When you take hand-shake etc into account, I'm not sure how much of a benefit you would actually achieve out in the field.

Just my 2p (retreats hurredly behind parapet!!)

Ruby

Nikon HG? the 8*32 are £600

if you don't think that other bins are worth the extra then cool

"Well all I can say is that the Leica must be significantly better than the new Nikon ED82 as, in poor light, it didn't seem so very much of an improvement over the ES80"

Having used my ES80 and a friends 77APO in poor conditions the difference was noticeable, especially at higher end of the zoom. That said the ES80 performs very well the vast majority of the time (I certainly prefer it to the non-APO Leica), and I am sure you'll be very happy with it - I guess I'm just being greedy. It's like Ruby said it's a question of is it worth the extra for the odd times when the difference shows.

If you can afford it, it's definitely worth it - so long as you get to use it regularly! The Leica is so h-e-a-v-y though don't you think?

absolutely scampo

way way way too heavy for a wimp like me - certainly can't take it overseas and travel easily or wander around searching for birds all day and I can't justify having two scopes (one light, one heavy) with all the good conservation causes around....

and anyway scampo, us teachers will never be able to afford a top o' the range scope!!! :C

back to the lesson planning.....oh no.. the office is on - it can wait! o:)

Just bought my son the Office 2 DVD - so funny. Having been in commerce until I was 40 though at times it's too realistic and I can feel sad for him!

Talking of the office (as opposed to The Office) I received this earlier on today, which may amuse....

How Things Work In Real Life

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string
and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and
start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the
other monkeys with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the
same result all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another
monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it. Now, put away
the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new
monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all
of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he
tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted. Next, remove another of the original
five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is
attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise,
replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time
the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating
him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are
participating in the beating of the newest monkey. After replacing all the original
monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water.
Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.
Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here.
And that, my friends, is how a company policy begins.

Yup we had that one Ruby.

Until a few weeks ago I had never seen the office but was lent the first series.

The bit where Brent has to tell his staff were redundant was brilliant.

Brent - 'I've got some good news and some bad news. The good new is I've got a promotion."

Staff - "And What's the bad news"

Brent - "They're keeping the Swindon office"

Happened to me!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can afford it, it's definitely worth it - so long as you get to use it regularly! The Leica is so h-e-a-v-y though don't you think?

Indeed it is a heavy scope - though not too much more that the ES80, and personally I think it's worth it for the quality. As for the price - I quite agree it is a lot more (for not a huge difference in most conditions), however when you need it most....
I have just this week got an APO 77 and am very pleased with it. That said I would not have bought one new, but managed to find an excellent condition secondhand one - made the price far more reasonable.

Just looked up the weights of the ES80 compared to the APO77:
ES80 - 1414g
APO77 - 1695g
Whilst you'll feel the difference I thing that 281g is a small price to pay (the extra £500 odd however isn't)!

Indeed - the Leica plus tripod is quite a weight to carry around any distance. Compared to the ES80 it's a fifth heavier than something that's already quite a weight.

First class scope though - I'd seriously consider buying one tomorrow if I could afford it!

I know the feeling I'd never have gone for a new one - but it's worth keeping your eyes open for a bargain. That said I am not saying anything against the ES80 which is still a fantastic scope and at retails price I'd say it's the best value scope out there.

H i "Postcard cv" - sorry but I don't know your name as it's not on your profile but I managed to put the ES80 through its paces today and was more than impressed with the zoom at 60x in decent light - in fact a few people looked through it and I proved a first class advert for Opticron. Good on them I say at £500-00 versus double that even for a Leica. I do wish they'd put a twist up eyepiece though - then they'd have a real winner.

Hope your new scope's proving it's worth its salt. Did you see much today - the weather has been lovely up here?

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes the ES80 is a cracking scope and as I mentioned I think it is incredible value - I would not have changed if I hadn't been able to pick up an APO77 with zoom and case for such a good price.
Alas no real chance to give it a good test yet, but should get out in the next fews days. Typically I had Waxwing today whilst taking my daughter to school, but didn't have the scope with me... next time :eek:)

Peter

Gosh I wish I could say typically a waxwing! (I know what you mean). At least you were able to identify it. They seem to be around a few counties at present but so far not in Leicestershire. We had them a few years ago so I have high hopes.

I would not have seen it if it had not been calling - that's what made me look. They have a very distinctive call, just hope to get some better views soon, they are truely amazing birds.
Well hopefully I'll get out birding tomorrow and give the scope a proper test....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back