• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saltwells LNR & Netherton Reservoir (1 Viewer)

Wednesday 24th April

Female Whinchat on Netherton Hill at 13.50, at the Blackbrook Road end of the paddock between the hill and the canal. One or two Lesser Whitethroats singing near the Cattle Bridge.

Had a Common Tern fly over my back garden yesterday evening, coming from the direction of Netherton Reservoir.

Andy

Wednesday 1st May

Yellow Wagtail at the top of Netherton Hill at 13.45, feeding in the recently burnt area. Five minutes later it flew off in the direction of Fens Pools.

Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat singing on the hill, 3 Common Terns on the reservoir and Sedge Warbler and Garden Warbler singing on the other side of the canal from the reservoir.

Andy

Netherton reservoir & Saltwells Nature Reserve

Had a quick visit today after returning to the Midlands popped into my nieces house (about 10mins from the reservoir) It was a little bit overcast with a slight rain fall on Reservoir they had not too many species (checklist to follow at the bottom of this little ditty).
No one on the water so was hoping to see more but did see a Great crested grebe with 2 Juveniles one looked a lot bigger than the other, over the road there were quite a few smaller species in the tree’s and brambles these included Willow warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and a very large flock of Long tailed tits. Back to the reservoir now I saw a Sparrowhawk fly low across the water which panicked all the birds on the water including 3 Swan cygnets (no adult birds anywhere to be seen).
Now onto Saltwell Nature Reserve it’s this place could be a golden gem with the dense tree’s and pen area’s along with a small stream following through and views above the tree line over the old pits. Some of the paths are a little steep and some of the gateways are a little small for the bigger person like myself, it’s very easy to get to by public transport just catch the number 81 (centro bus fare £2.00) bus from Merry hill bus station and get off just past the reservoir (this takes you to the top of the reserve) or you can catch either 217 (arriva), 276 (centro) or 297 (centro) all these will drop you off close to the bottom of the reserve by the Saltwells public house once of the bus just follow the signage to the entrance of the reserve.
There is also a car park by the public house you can use it’s literally next to the reserve, there are a choice of walks around the reserve please look at the notice board all are very interesting .
This place is well worth a visit and I think the more experienced Birder may find more species within this wonderful reserve

SPECIES SEEN TODAY

RESERVOIR –

Magpie, Woodpigeon, Lesser black backed gull (8 – 3 ad, 5 juv), Carrion crow, Black headed gull (12), Coot (22), Great crested grebe 3 (1ad 2 juv), 3 Swan (mute) cygnets, Mallard (15), Robin, Blackcap, Sparrowhawk & Herring gull (3)

HEDGE ROW OPPOSITE RESERVOIR (other side of the road) –

Long tailed tit (30+), Chiffchaff, Willow warbler, Blue tit, Blackcap, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird & Collared dove

SALTWELLS NATURE RESERVE –

Dunnock, Wren, Bullfinch, Song thrush, Robin, Woodpigeon, Carrion crow, Great tit, Jay, Great spotted woodpecker, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Starling, House sparrow, Blackcap, Magpie, Goldfinch, Pied wagtail, Blue tit, Kestrel & Buzzard

Netherton reservoir & Saltwells Nature Reserve

Had a quick visit today after returning to the Midlands popped into my nieces house (about 10mins from the reservoir) It was a little bit overcast with a slight rain fall on Reservoir they had not too many species (checklist to follow at the bottom of this little ditty).
No one on the water so was hoping to see more but did see a Great crested grebe with 2 Juveniles one looked a lot bigger than the other, over the road there were quite a few smaller species in the tree’s and brambles these included Willow warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and a very large flock of Long tailed tits. Back to the reservoir now I saw a Sparrowhawk fly low across the water which panicked all the birds on the water including 3 Swan cygnets (no adult birds anywhere to be seen).
Now onto Saltwell Nature Reserve it’s this place could be a golden gem with the dense tree’s and pen area’s along with a small stream following through and views above the tree line over the old pits. Some of the paths are a little steep and some of the gateways are a little small for the bigger person like myself, it’s very easy to get to by public transport just catch the number 81 (centro bus fare £2.00) bus from Merry hill bus station and get off just past the reservoir (this takes you to the top of the reserve) or you can catch either 217 (arriva), 276 (centro) or 297 (centro) all these will drop you off close to the bottom of the reserve by the Saltwells public house once of the bus just follow the signage to the entrance of the reserve.
There is also a car park by the public house you can use it’s literally next to the reserve, there are a choice of walks around the reserve please look at the notice board all are very interesting .
This place is well worth a visit and I think the more experienced Birder may find more species within this wonderful reserve

SPECIES SEEN TODAY

RESERVOIR –

Magpie, Woodpigeon, Lesser black backed gull (8 – 3 ad, 5 juv), Carrion crow, Black headed gull (12), Coot (22), Great crested grebe 3 (1ad 2 juv), 3 Swan (mute) cygnets, Mallard (15), Robin, Blackcap, Sparrowhawk & Herring gull (3)

HEDGE ROW OPPOSITE RESERVOIR (other side of the road) –

Long tailed tit (30+), Chiffchaff, Willow warbler, Blue tit, Blackcap, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird & Collared dove

SALTWELLS NATURE RESERVE –

Dunnock, Wren, Bullfinch, Song thrush, Robin, Woodpigeon, Carrion crow, Great tit, Jay, Great spotted woodpecker, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Starling, House sparrow, Blackcap, Magpie, Goldfinch, Pied wagtail, Blue tit, Kestrel & Buzzard

Its five minute's walk from where I live and I never go there. It is a good spot and the only reason it isn't my local patch is because I prefer quieter birding places. The 'rezza' as it is known to locals is good for gulls in the winter.

Hi Adrian - nice to have you back.

It is indeed a good place, Domesday Book:eek!: woodland in the Black Country.

I have found the place to be more productive for plants than birds, personally.

The woodland, close to the old reserve centre has a scattering of Green Flowered Helleborines and possibly Violet Helleborine IIRC whilst one of the banks adjacent to the industrial estate used to hold a small colony of Grassy Vetchling and the horse paddocks by the pub has both Southern and i think Early Marsh Orchid - or used to.

Sadly there is no in-situ warden presence as they have re-located to Lister Road which means it can resemble Fort Apache at times, the lunatics have indeed taken over:C

Do not leave any valuables on show, lock stuff in the boot if you arrive in a car.

The 'Razza' has produced some goodies over the years and is always worth a look altho it has no 'edge'. As Steve pointed out, Gulls would be the main interest. It does have a virtue by being the deepest body of water around and thus is the last to freeze so stuff does re-locate to there when the right conditions persist.

I had my first 'proper' Ferruginous Duck sometime in the 70's or poss early 80's and it's still a rarity of sorts....

Laurie:t:

Just a note on the three young Mute Swans at Saltwells on the Razza they are part of the family that are at Bumble Hole they some how got separated from the rest of the Family.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thursday 17th April

Common Sandpiper on the reservoir early this morning. Lesser Whitethroat still singing by the Cattle Bridge.

Andy

This photo is one of many on a memory card found at Saltwell recently. If anyone knows any of the folk in this picture can you PM me please.
Thanks

Sy

Attachments

• 10312637_10202665481493014_7399709409701815325_n.jpg
    10312637_10202665481493014_7399709409701815325_n.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 65
I do know a few folk that live around there but not any of them - what's the writing on those doors? Maybe it (or any others) might yield something or somebody to contact.....

Upon receiving a text from the-one-and-only Paul Allan-Legge i put foot to pedal and cycled up to the Razzer. There had been a report of a female-type Red-Breasted Merganser:eek!: on BirdGuides @ 1230.....Initially about 75 loafing Black Headed Gulls with a couple of adult LBB's and 2 Herring - 1ad1fw. After about 10 mins i clocked an adult GCGrebe and then a nice pair of Goosander appeared. They were skittish and flew about and over the adjacent canal and disappeared at 15:30. I stopped until 4 o'clock and checked the cut which was frozen. Some Bullfinches calling and a rather noisy GSWPecker noted.

Not seen by me:C

This thread is more than 260 days since the last post, which was one of mine, it would be nice if it was updated more regularly - i saw my first wild Fudge Duck here so it has memories - i am guilty of not doing so as i have been there a few times since my May 2014 post but hvnt seen anything worth mentioning but i will in future to keep fanning the flames, if anybody else visits just put what you see otherwise it will go the way of the Dodo and the Fens Pools thread;)

Upon receiving a text from the-one-and-only Paul Allan-Legge i put foot to pedal and cycled up to the Razzer. There had been a report of a female-type Red-Breasted Merganser:eek!: on BirdGuides @ 1230.....Initially about 75 loafing Black Headed Gulls with a couple of adult LBB's and 2 Herring - 1ad1fw. After about 10 mins i clocked an adult GCGrebe and then a nice pair of Goosander appeared. They were skittish and flew about and over the adjacent canal and disappeared at 15:30. I stopped until 4 o'clock and checked the cut which was frozen. Some Bullfinches calling and a rather noisy GSWPecker noted.

Not seen by me:C

This thread is more than 260 days since the last post, which was one of mine, it would be nice if it was updated more regularly - i saw my first wild Fudge Duck here so it has memories - i am guilty of not doing so as i have been there a few times since my May 2014 post but hvnt seen anything worth mentioning but i will in future to keep fanning the flames, if anybody else visits just put what you see otherwise it will go the way of the Dodo and the Fens Pools thread;)

I saw the 1991 bird i have a photo some where.

Good Birding YAMYAM

Cheers Phil - a pair? I saw Goosander that's for sure;).....YY 1991, scan and post the picture i could do with the excitement, i'm gonna put rubber on the road and cycle over to the Churchill area and have a poke around for this Iceland Gull.....

ATB Laurie:t:

A pair of 'noisy' Common Terns reported by Todd Chater ystda on the 'Razzer' - post breeding dispersal of waders also expected locally:eek!:

Saltwells 2015

My patch total for 2015 was 83 species. Highlight of the year was the male Pied Flycatcher seen in Saltwells Wood in May. I first heard it singing in the wood on the morning of 16 May and put the news out on twitter. Fortunately it stayed for at least a week allowing plenty of other birders to see it. It was still there on the morning of 23 May. I then went on holiday for a week and there was no sign of it on my return.

Other notable sightings were as follows:

Greylag Goose – one flew over on 17 February.
Shelduck – one on the reservoir on 30 March.
Wigeon – one on the reservoir on 27 September
Gadwall – a pair on the reservoir on 6 February.
Teal – maximum of nine on the reservoir on 27 September.
Shoveler – three on the reservoir on 18 March.
Goosander – maximum of seven in November
Cormorant – maximum of nine in February.
Common Sandpiper – first of the year on 14 April
Common Tern – maximum of two on the reservoir in July.
Peregrine – only seen once despite being seen regularly in nearby Brierley Hill.
Raven – seen in every month except February.
Garden Warbler – seen on the hill on 9 May and 28 August.
Lesser Whitethroat – returned on 23 April and heard singing on the hill through May.
Sedge Warbler – one on 17 April.
Redstart – one on the hill on 27 August.
Whinchat - one on the hill on 16 May.
Stonechat – maximum of eight on the hill on 7 March.
Wheatear – maximum of two on the hill on 22 April.

Species spotted by other birders at Saltwells in the year included Water Rail, Lapwing, Jack Snipe, Tawny Owl, Ring Ouzel, Tree Pipit, Yellow Wagtail, Spotted Flycatcher, Brambling and Crossbill.

The year was also notable for the high number of sightings of both Goosander and Cormorant on the reservoir in both winter periods, much higher than in previous years. Raven sightings were also at a high point.

The Marsh/Willow Tit returned in the autumn to its usual spot by the reservoir. Plumage remains inconclusive and no distinctive calls have been heard. Photos posted by me on twitter on Christmas Day caused some debate. I’m personally leaning towards Willow Tit based on the pale wing panel, but I’m waiting to hear it call before changing from “Unidentified Tit” on Birdtrack.

Attachments

• IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6193.jpg
    IMG_6193.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 119
My patch total for 2015 was 83 species. Highlight of the year was the male Pied Flycatcher seen in Saltwells Wood in May. I first heard it singing in the wood on the morning of 16 May and put the news out on twitter. Fortunately it stayed for at least a week allowing plenty of other birders to see it. It was still there on the morning of 23 May. I then went on holiday for a week and there was no sign of it on my return.

Other notable sightings were as follows:

Greylag Goose – one flew over on 17 February.
Shelduck – one on the reservoir on 30 March.
Wigeon – one on the reservoir on 27 September
Gadwall – a pair on the reservoir on 6 February.
Teal – maximum of nine on the reservoir on 27 September.
Shoveler – three on the reservoir on 18 March.
Goosander – maximum of seven in November
Cormorant – maximum of nine in February.
Common Sandpiper – first of the year on 14 April
Common Tern – maximum of two on the reservoir in July.
Peregrine – only seen once despite being seen regularly in nearby Brierley Hill.
Raven – seen in every month except February.
Garden Warbler – seen on the hill on 9 May and 28 August.
Lesser Whitethroat – returned on 23 April and heard singing on the hill through May.
Sedge Warbler – one on 17 April.
Redstart – one on the hill on 27 August.
Whinchat - one on the hill on 16 May.
Stonechat – maximum of eight on the hill on 7 March.
Wheatear – maximum of two on the hill on 22 April.

Species spotted by other birders at Saltwells in the year included Water Rail, Lapwing, Jack Snipe, Tawny Owl, Ring Ouzel, Tree Pipit, Yellow Wagtail, Spotted Flycatcher, Brambling and Crossbill.

The year was also notable for the high number of sightings of both Goosander and Cormorant on the reservoir in both winter periods, much higher than in previous years. Raven sightings were also at a high point.

The Marsh/Willow Tit returned in the autumn to its usual spot by the reservoir. Plumage remains inconclusive and no distinctive calls have been heard. Photos posted by me on twitter on Christmas Day caused some debate. I’m personally leaning towards Willow Tit based on the pale wing panel, but I’m waiting to hear it call before changing from “Unidentified Tit” on Birdtrack.

A pretty impressive list for an urban area Andy. Saltwells has a good range of habitat and I enjoyed birding there during the early/mid 90's. I used to see Willow Tits often there, normally along Blackbrook Road not far from the canal. Like you I'd err more towards Willow but until you hear it call it's pretty much guesswork. Hope it calls for you soon! :t:

A pretty impressive list for an urban area Andy. Saltwells has a good range of habitat and I enjoyed birding there during the early/mid 90's. I used to see Willow Tits often there, normally along Blackbrook Road not far from the canal. Like you I'd err more towards Willow but until you hear it call it's pretty much guesswork. Hope it calls for you soon! :t:

Thanks Matt. I used to see Willow Tits regularly on Netherton Hill up until 2004, but numbers dropped dramatically in 2005. I haven't seen one in that area since 2011.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back