• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone use a Walkstool? (1 Viewer)

I meant in a pop-up photography hide Roland, be quite difficult to see out or reach the camera if sat on the floor! LOL! A seat that goes on the ground though would be useless if it was wet, even if it kept your bum dry it looks like your legs would still get wet.

If you get one though just be careful you don't get too comfortable in that hide, if you nod off you might also fall off! ;)
I drifted off it in my photography hide on Monday so it can happen! I was sitting very comfortably in one of those cheap four-legged camping chairs and had my legs up on a stool and god only knows what I missed while I was sleeping. :-O

EDIT: Found out that my dad's stools are indeed Walkstools.

Last edited:
Update. I am now the proud owner of two stools:

The Walkstool 55 is very nice, but I would question whether it's worth £50. It is light but it isn't very small. It does attach neatly to the outside of my scope harness and also fits in a daypack easily, and it is certainly comfortable. It's pretty well made but not amazingly so. I've used it only once in anger so far, at Marshside last weekend, and will certainly make more use of it, expecially in the Gambia next month where I think my Mum will be very grateful for it.

I also bought the Terra Nova stool Marcus already has, mainly because it was just a fiver... http://www.venturesport.co.uk/venturesport_product.asp?parseid=10446. Now this is incredibly small and portable. Packed it takes up much less room, and weight, than my Collins guide and can live in my Scopac without me knowing it's there. But it is, quite honestly, less comfortable and secure than sitting on the floor. Would be ideal for someone 3' 6" tall. It does bear my not inconsiderable weight, but it really doesn't stand any comparison as a seat with the Walkstool.

So I haven't achieved what I wanted, which was a comfortable chair I wouldn't know I was carrying. I have one very comfortable, very well made, rather overpriced, and fairly portable one, but which I would still always have to think twice before carrying, wondering whether I would need it or not. I have one excellent value, incredibly portable one I wouldn't hesitate to carry everywhere, but which actually isn't tall enough or big enough to be worth sitting on.

I conclude that what I want, a comfortable, sturdy, armchair which fits in my pocket, remains an impossible dream.

Graham

PS - i couldn't find the Haglofs stool in your review anywhere Marcus - the only one for sale on the web is this rucksack/stool, which leaves me nowhere for the scope... http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/Haglofs_Castor_Backpack.html

The walkstool scored pretty well, but they noticed that the stool is less comfortable for men, as one of leg supports is wedged between yours.

I used to sit on mine (a cheapo not a Walkstool) like that until I read the above and it made me think about trying to sit on it the other way and it is actually more comfortable. Give it a try.

Just an update on this one. I sat on the walkstool for over nine hours almost continuously at the Bridges of Ross last week and it was superbly comfortable all day. I have made more use of it than I expected and would recommend it more highly than I did after a short period of use.

Graham

[/QUOTE] - i couldn't find the Haglofs stool in your review anywhere Marcus - the only one for sale on the web is this rucksack/stool, which leaves me nowhere for the scope... http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/Haglofs_Castor_Backpack.html[/QUOTE]

Looks very similar to this .

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0743886/c_1/1|category_root|Sports+and+leisure|14419152/c_2/2|cat_14419152|Fishing|14419226/c_3/3|cat_14419226|Fishing+accessories|14419241.htm

Love them

I own 2 walkstools, one for me and one for my wife. We have toted these all over the globe including a trip last December to Sri Lanka. Will also be planning on taking them this year on our trip back to Sri Lanka. Very very comfy after sitting long periods of time in them..

Cheers, Jerry

I must tell you this, last year at Sherwood Forest there was this couple both sitting on them walkstools and as we walked past them, with a scream and a crash the women went straight over the top of it and was laying legs up (trousers on) ;) on her back laughing :-O her head off, was quite funny:-O.. so be aware......:t:

Ha!...good story birdbrain....

But I like walkstools....don't use them all the time and in fact hardly at all but sometimes I do know I want to sit still someplace and just wait for the right bird or shot....hence it makes a great way to sit and not get our pants wet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back