• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Removing dust from lenses (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Having tried and been disappointed with the standard blower camel hair brushes that many use for removing dust from lenses, I decided to pick up a can of compressed gas like they use for blowing the dust out of electronic components and computer keyboards. However, when I read the labels on the different brands, they all stated that they are NOT to be used on camera lenses or mirrors.

I can only assume that would mean you shouldn't use them to blow dust off of your bino lenses as well, but does anyone know why? Is there some chemical in there that eats the lens coatings or puts a film on the lenses? Has anyone found a product like this that is safe for use on lenses?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

It may be because the air coming from the can gets very cold as it expands, which may damage the lenses or the adhesion of the coatings because of different expansion rates.
When I use one of those cans, frost forms on the nozzle, so there may also be a possibility of little chunks of stuff being squirted on the glass..
The little prepackaged sealed squares soaked in isopropyl alcohol work well for in the field cleaning after you've brushed off any gritty dirt.

I have never used the compressed air cans for cleaning, but I have used filtered shop air from a 60 gal. compressor. I use 2 clean rags and blow lightly through these rags. I did a search on Cloudy Nights and found a thread about cleaning optics. The one post I picked out was done by Brock on here and it located below. I think the people that make these compressed air cans probably put this warning on the can to cover their butt.:) I use the Zeiss wipes after blowing, without any down pressure, switch to clean one etc. etc. Water proof binoculars. If very bad, warm water in a sink with just a little dish det. in it and rinse under facet and then rinse with distilled water etc.
Steve

"Some have mentioned using compressed air or a lens brush. I prefer the lens brush, because I have to be careful about holding the compressed air can nozzle at the right distance and using only short bursts or the propellant will get on the lens, and it's hard to get off. I tend to use compressed air only when I'm outside and have several bins to clean. I use "Bessler DustGun", which is CFC-free. "

Last edited:
I think Steve is on the right track. There can be a pretty terrific initial blast from any compressed air source. The effect from that force and any sand etc. on the lens and viola', you have maybe created a miniature sandblaster.

Seems as though the grease can eventually wash out - or is the grit not in the threads but in the knob itself? I would be nice to change to a low temperature tolerant synthetic oil based grease.

Thanks to all who responded. Steve and Howard, those were great links on the subject, and I can see there is more to this than I had suspected. Those links confirmed my suspicions that dust removal was the most important, and that deeper cleaning should be held to a minimum if one wants to preserve the coatings.

In one of the two links, the author suggested using a paint brush of the highest quality and with the softest bristles to remove dust. He suggested testing the brushes by brushing them against your cheek and choosing the one with the softest and greatest number of bristles. Thought that an odd recommendation as I wouldn't want to use the brush on my lenses once its picked up oils off of my facial skin. Maybe he puts back the one he tested and purchases another just like it. |;|

Dean

...Thought that an odd recommendation as I wouldn't want to use the brush on my lenses once its picked up oils off of my facial skin. Maybe he puts back the one he tested and purchases another just like it...

But what if someone else have done the same before...:eek!:
-Then how can you be sure to have a clean brush!!!

Just listen to Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues a couple of times:smoke: ...and it will be alright.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back