• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Preening birds, Pensthorpe, England, July (1 Viewer)

Shirl

Hi again,

In my first photo below I'm curious to now all the birds that are preening on this Island at Pensthorpe. I can see what I think are Black-headed gulls and a moorhen. What are the ducks - can anybody help?

I was also wondering who was swimming behind the White Cheeked Pintail in my second photo - they look very similar.

Thanks,
Shirl

Attachments

• Black-headed gulls, Moorhen and duck (crop).jpg
    Black-headed gulls, Moorhen and duck (crop).jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 114
  • White Cheeked Pintail and friend, Pensthorpe.jpg
    White Cheeked Pintail and friend, Pensthorpe.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 97
the ones with the black-headed gulls look like mandarins, though I can't tell them from wood ducks with this picture. It's a male mallard behind the white-cheeked pintail, it's in its moulting 'eclipse' plumage.

Hi again NIck,

Thanks for your help again. I had no idea ducks had different plumage throughout the year. I had no idea that they moulted either and what is meant by 'eclipse' - is it just a term?

Sorry, I should have thought to add a cropped pic for the ducks. Here's one now with it lightened a little too.

Thanks again,
Shirl

Attachments

• Ducks for ID.jpg
    Ducks for ID.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 72
Eclipse is a plumage moult aquired by male ducks at the end of the breeding season, where the bright breeding plumage is replaced by a more dull, often female like stage. It is thought that this occurs as the flight feathers are replaced so as to provide camouflage during the period they are flightless. It is generally a short lived appearance and the males soon begin to replace the bright breeding plumages but its a nice confusion stage for birders!

Cheers

Thanks everyone :t:

Wood duck or Mandarin is close enough - I appreciate your help especially when my photo isn't really clear. I will be using this pic more for the story rather than 'look at this bird' but I thought it would be an added touch if I could ID them.

Thanks for the info on the eclipse, Gomphus, this is all new stuff to me and I appreciate the info and may include reference to this in my posting (which will have to be beg of next week now).

Thanks again,
Shirl :-D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back