• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Encouraging 'collecting'. (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Several threads within the forum have discussed the rights and wrongs of taking live specimens, especially in relation to rare birds. During one of my many browing sessions looking for books, I came across this title and attach a description below.

I'm sure we'll be split on this again as usual, discuss.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extended-S...s=9781498729154&qid=1559926427&s=books&sr=1-1

'The Extended Specimen highlights the research potential for ornithological specimens, and is meant to encourage ornithologists poised to initiate a renaissance in collections-based ornithological research. Contributors illustrate how collections and specimens are used in novel ways by adopting emerging new technologies and analytical techniques. Case studies use museum specimens and emerging and non-traditional types of specimens, which are developing new methods for making biological collections more accessible and "usable" for ornithological researchers.

Published in collaboration with and on behalf of The American Ornithological Society, this volume in the highly-regarded Studies in Avian Biology series documents the power of ornithological collections to address key research questions of global importance.'

Last edited:
Reading various reviews of the book, it seem to be the driest of dry academic tome aimed squarely at museum based researchers. I can't see an book even the BTO thought was too highbrow resulting in a resurgence in the habits of the Victorian parson.

Glancing at the table of contents and reading the book description, it's obvious that the main purpose of the book is to highlight new methods and research avenues that can be used with museum collections. It's not an entire book about creating new collections, but rather how to better use existing collections.

Well, human has spoiled about 75% of life (in biomass) and might lead to total extinction, let's say kindly that it is about time to end killing whatever the reason ! For sure, collecting for science is not at all a necessity.

We don't need those researches to save the life on Earth. We need a different way of living, starting with food production.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...t-eating-essential-to-avoid-climate-breakdown

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back