• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A rainy day on Skomer! (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

As I mentioned on my ‘Easter’ thread a visit to Skomer island was on my agenda. So last Thursday (24th April) me, my OH, our daughter Emma and our friend Matt Green set off for South Wales. On the journey 2 Red Kites were to be seen in the same we had seen them at Easter, after stopping for a good view of them we set off and soon had to stop at a set of traffic lights along the relatively quiet road. A stream was visible alongside the road and I was very lucky to see a Dipper before the lights changed! What a start to the weekend. On arrival in the Saundersfoot area we headed to Wiseman’s Bridge a delightful bay to stretch our legs. Here we were to see amongst the usual coastal Gulls, 2 Whimbrel and a flock of Oystercatchers on the shoreline, Fulmar, Jackdaw, Sparrowhawk, Crow, and Chiffchaff (heard). It was especially great to see the Whimbrel! The B & B we were heading for was the farm where we stayed at Easter. A walk around the lakes at the farm was to provide us with our first sighting this year of Mallard ducklings, seven in all! The bird species was still very good at the farm and a pleasure to see and listen to, especially so early in the mornings.

We headed for Martin’s Haven the next morning where the boat would take us to Skomer Island. It was a very misty morning but dry. That is until we had set off on the boat to Skomer. The rain started, the wind picked up and the rain did not stop until our last hour on the Island. We walked around the island for almost 4 hours in wind, rain and heavy drizzle! Though the prevailing wind dried us off before we headed back on the boat to the mainland. It was a pity the weather had turned as the bird life decided not to put in much of an appearance, they had more sense than us in the weather conditions! The Puffins were few and far between, a few groups of them on the sea and a solitary Puffin we viewed on land…just 1! Incredible! Along with the usual Gulls we saw Gannet, Fulmar, Kittiwake, Cormorant, Oystercatcher, Curlew (flyover), Whimbrel (flyover and calling), Meadow and Rock Pipit, Blackcap, Stonechat, Blackbird, Dunnock, Skylark, Pied Wagtail, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Swallow and Sand Martin. A few lifers and additions to my year list amongst them for me! The Grey Seals were delightful, as you can see from the added photo they gave us a good view of them as they lazed on the rocks. Porpoises were to be seen occasionally rising from the sea! All in all it was a great 4 hours spent on a beautiful if wet and windy island. A return visit is in initial planning stages, possibly June or early July. I must see more than 1 Puffin on land and the other bird species there that we did not see this time around.

The next day we visited Bosherston Lily Ponds, Chiffchaff song seemed to follow us around from start to finish of the walk. A Holly Blue was a delight to see, my first this year. On to Stackpole Quay and a walk across the cliff top were a Wheatear led us a merry dance for a photo! Linnet, Meadow Pipit, Gannet, Fulmar and Razorbill were to be the highlight. A cordoned off section of the cliff top contained Green-Winged Orchid plants, a very pretty Orchid and good to see that the National Trust had it protected as you would expect on such a busy coastal pathway.

We then headed for Carew Castle and fortunately the tide was out and we saw along with the usual Gulls, Cormorants, Black-Tailed Godwit, Heron, Shelduck, Whimbrel, Crow, Chaffinch, Blackbird and Swallow.

The Flora at each place we visited was abundant, I have rather a lot to identify so I will not go into any detail!

A good couple of days of Bird and Wildlife watching had us all very tired but very happy!!

The photo of the Whimbrel was taken at Wisemans Bridge, the rest were all taken on Skomer Island (in the rain!).

Attachments

• P1220564.jpg
    P1220564.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 20
  • P1220624.jpg
    P1220624.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 19
  • P1220634.jpg
    P1220634.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 22
  • P1220731.jpg
    P1220731.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 18
  • P1220650.jpg
    P1220650.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 21
Three more photo's!

Attachments

• P1220747.jpg
    P1220747.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P1220735.jpg
    P1220735.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 21
  • P1220756.jpg
    P1220756.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 22
Ah! Skomer that's a lovely island, shame the weather was so dreich for you though Pam.

Didn't you find the hide in the middle of the island - that would have kept you dry for a while;)

Lovely pics too.

D

Shame about the weather, Pam, but you had a good selection anyway. Perhaps the Puffins will oblige when you return in early summer.

Thanks for sharing your break with us.

Hi Pam

I can feel the wind and rain.
Pity that you did not get better weather for the island trip but tis all part of the fun. As I have said before this is definatly part of the world I must visit.
I like the seal pic especially and how I envy you the orchid! Blimey did I say that.......I'm a birder!;):t:

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind comments Delia, Wendy and Brian.

We did find a hide but not the one in the middle, Delia! We took a wrong turn for that one so just kept walking! The Island guide was a bit bedraggled by the time we had finished the visit so I bought another one to read at my leisure! I shall be well prepared for the next trip there!o:D

Well if the Puffins don't oblige next visit I will head for the Farnes another time, Wendy!;)

You would love the Pembrokeshire coast I am sure, Brian! There are Choughs there too!;) Though not one to be seen on this trip! Maybe next time.

Hi Pam,
What a great couple of days with so much to see. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time despite the weather.
Thanks for sharing your brilliant report & pics :t:

Excellent report, Pam

It was a very enjoyable few days and once again an absolute pleasure to spend some time birding with you all, I can't really place my finger on a favourite place or particular sighting as it was all such an excellent adventure!! ~ I have to confess I was a little apprehensive about the boat crossing to Skomer but once I realized I wasn't going to throw up or be thrown up on it was great fun!!....those puffins were ace weren't they:-O

The Red kites were lifers for me as were the Puffins so will not be forgetting those any time soon, this added to the scenery and pleasent company made for a most enjoyable trip! Here's some of my favourite pics from our travelso:)

Matt

Attachments

• barafundle bay.jpg
    barafundle bay.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 13
  • steps leading down to barafundle bay.jpg
    steps leading down to barafundle bay.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 14
  • carew castle.jpg
    carew castle.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 17
  • wisemans bridge.jpg
    wisemans bridge.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 12
  • somewhere in wales looking for red kites!.jpg
    somewhere in wales looking for red kites!.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 17
Hi Pam,

Shame about the weather, but as Matt says it does sound like a brill. adventure. Going offshore is great (he says trying to remember the last time he had the pleasure). I've never been to Skomer. Nice to see the Puffins, even if they were sailors rather than walkers. Seals are always good value for money too, you can have staring competitions with them :-O. A nice report Pam, and the Whimbrel pic is great, I've never been that close. The other pics are nice too, as are yours Matt.

Hi Pam.
Thanks for sharing your wet, but very worthwhile trip with us. I really enjoyed the walk with you all. Having been to Skomer on one occasion, a good number of years ago, I felt a little tinge of envy; but my weather was better than yours. LOL!! I love your pics, although the scenic ones look more like a day at the back-end of the year rather than springtime, but still lovely. You picked up some great birds, and I would have loved to have seen the Whimbrels, as I haven't seen one for some time.
And thank you Matt for your beautiful scenic pics; they were well worth a look.

Baz.

Thanks Pie, Matt, Roy and Baz!

Thanks for ploughing through the report, Pie! I never know when to stop once I start! I am glad you enjoyed the read!:t:

Come on Matt...you did go a tad green on the boat! Excuse the pun!:-O It was a hectic but fun few days wasn't it! The Puffins were ace, just a pity they didn't come off the water! Next time perhaps...keep your diary free!o:D
Thanks for your invaluable help with a few ID's and bird songs! :t:
It was indeed an excellent and enjoyable adventure!
Thanks also for posting a few of your super photo's, they compliment the thread well! The photo you titled " Somewhere in Wales looking for Red Kites" was in the area of Sennybridge.

Roy if you get the chance do visit Skomer, I am sure the seals would love to have a staring comp with you!o:D Thanks for your kind comments!:t:

Glad your weather was better, Baz! I wouldn't have beeen surprised if it had snowed on us!:-O We were thrilled to see the Whimbrels, a first for me so I was real chuffed! Thanks to you also for your kind comments!:t:

Hi Pam
Thanks for that smashing report
and great photos :t:
Very hard to pick a favourite but
Wonderful Scenery and Lovely
Whimbrel and L-B/B Gulls!

Thanks

Here are a few more photographs from our brilliant weekend in South Wales! The Red Kites were spectacular to see soaring above the fields in the valley and one of my highlights was to see the Razorbills just off the shoreline at Barafundle Bay, they are such elegant looking birds!!o:)

Attachments

• Oystercatcher, Wisemans Bridge.jpg
    Oystercatcher, Wisemans Bridge.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Razorbill, Barafundle Bay.jpg
    Razorbill, Barafundle Bay.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Red Kite, Sennybridge.jpg
    Red Kite, Sennybridge.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Rock Pipit, Skomer.jpg
    Rock Pipit, Skomer.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Wheatear, Barafundle Bay.jpg
    Wheatear, Barafundle Bay.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 18
What a great weekend you all had to be sure, despite the weather, you saw some brilliant birds, with more than a few that would have been firsts for me. All the photos are excellent too. Thanks Pam, Matt & Emma.

Excellent pics, Emma:t:

Love the Kite especially, they did look very impressive soaring high above the valley...apart from the odd migrant on the coast we don't really get Kites in Norfolk so seeing those around Sennybridge (thanks Pam!!) was a very welcome sight!!

Matt

Here are a few more photographs from our brilliant weekend in South Wales! The Red Kites were spectacular to see soaring above the fields in the valley and one of my highlights was to see the Razorbills just off the shoreline at Barafundle Bay, they are such elegant looking birds!!o:)

Thanks Emma, Great photos :t:
What camera are you using?

Love the Razorbill and the Wheatear

Cheers

Thanks Emma and Judo!

Thanks for adding a few more photo's, Emma! I must agree the Razorbills were a joy to see....many highlights to name really wasn't there!:D
I am pleased you enjoyed the read of our weekend, Judo. Thank you for your kind comments!:t:

Thank you Judo, Matt and Tony!!

There were quite a few firsts for all of us on this trip Judo, hopefully we will return in better weather soon to perhaps get a few more firsts on our lists!!

I think the Kites were one of my main highlights as well Matt, they looked so majestic in the sky and I am looking forward to getting some more sights and piccies of them!!

The Razorbills were lovely to see Tony!! I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-18 camera, it is the newer version of the model that Pam uses...it has a bit more zoom and a few more functions on it!!

WOW!!!
Great report and pics Pam....I love the Puffins and Seal!
Glad to read that you saw Porpoises as well....always a thrill aren't they?
Emma I love your Wheatear pic!
And Matt's scene's too!
Well done all!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back