• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting Bluetits (1 Viewer)

Haypeters

Hello all I'm Hayley :)

I'm very new to this so please apologies if I'm doing things wrong.

I'm from Kent in the UK and I have put up a 3 section nest box on the back of my house on the second floor a few years ago but never noticed any interest the first year, until in the winter last year we went to check and all the 3 sections of the communal box were filled with moss, hair etc. Now I'm not sure if these are abandoned nests or if I just completely missed the nesting, everything In the last year. If they were abandoned I wonder what went wrong? I'm no expert at all. Anyhow, I have had a pair of very active bluetits who have emptied one section of the box and started filling it with lots of moss etc, we have added a camera and we can see them building away and what look like a lot of fluffing/dancing around in the box and lots of organising, one also seems to be sleeping in the box at night. Does this look quite hopeful? I've put plenty of bird feeders in my garden, which is normal. I'm just wary that it may have been unsuccessful previously and I would be really dissappointed if it happens again. Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Or any expert advise anyone could offer would be amazing.

Thanks
Hayley

Please dont site any feeders too close to the active nestbox - in fact try to move them as far away as possible, sooner rather than later, but where you can still observe the action. The prescence of other species continually near the nest may stress out the Blue Tits trying to raise a brood, but the situation sounds promising. There are 2 schools of thought on feeding during the breeding / summer months. Personally I continue with sunflower hearts, the adults will eat these high energy food, whilst searching for natural items ( especially caterpillars and grubs ) to give the young. Also fresh water if not already there, the regulars will soon find the feeders.

A 3 section I guess to attract House Sparrows?

Good luck

Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I think Pyrtle's suggestion is a good one and would follow his info ;) Good luck!

Hi Hayley and a warm welcome from me too.

I can't really add anything more to the advice you've already been given.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to Birdforum! I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits. Good luck with the blue tits.

Please dont site any feeders too close to the active nestbox - in fact try to move them as far away as possible, sooner rather than later, but where you can still observe the action. The prescence of other species continually near the nest may stress out the Blue Tits trying to raise a brood, but the situation sounds promising. There are 2 schools of thought on feeding during the breeding / summer months. Personally I continue with sunflower hearts, the adults will eat these high energy food, whilst searching for natural items ( especially caterpillars and grubs ) to give the young. Also fresh water if not already there, the regulars will soon find the feeders.

A 3 section I guess to attract House Sparrows?

Good luck

Hi PYRTLE,

Thank you very much for your advice. Bird feeders are not too close and the nest box is quite high up underneath the guttering. They love the suet balls and mix seeds including hearts, I saw the female sitting in the nest and the male was feeding her with live food, amazing lol. at the moment they have completely cleared out the nest and added what looks like a doughnut ring of moss and feathers, nothing in the middle yet.

Yes you are completely correct my partner built the nest box for sparrows, we thought as the numbers are declining it was a good idea. We have a big pond with a water fountain for them to drink from. My only worry is we get a lot of starlings in summer, none at the moment and they swarm the feeders, this may be the problem we have.

Thank you again for your advice.

Hayley

Hi, just wanted to add one more welcome to the forum. I think you will enjoy the site.

Ok so my female blue tit is working very hard building her nest. I’ve not noticed the male for a couple of days, I’m not seeing them I’m the nest box together, is this normal? I’ve also noticed as my nest box is a communal one the female also uses the compartment next door, seen her in and out taking material out of it, so I’m not sure if she is building in both, only have camera in one box. She certainly sleeps in the same box each night.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back