• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic announces new superzoom! (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Intersting news today on dpreview.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18
In addition to two new 'pocketable' compacts Panasonic has revealed the latest FZ series 'super zoom' model, the eighteen times optical zoom FZ18. This camera mates its (tiny) eight megapixel CCD to a lens which provides the equivalent of 28 to 504 mm on a 35 mm camera, plus it's optical image stabilization. Just like the compacts the FZ18 gets 'Intelligent Auto Mode', Face detection and automatic LCD backlight control. The FZ18 is (on paper) a compelling option considering how much glass you'd have to carry around to match it with a digital SLR (ignoring other factors such as high ISO performance, lens quality and focusing speed).

This is probably the reason why the FZ8 has been reduced in price somewhat. I hope this will be available before my india trip. i would be very tempted by it depending on the reviews it receives. More info:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072402panasonicfz18.asp

I assume that this a reaction to the Olympus megazoom? I wonder if it means an upgrade of the FZ50 is on the horizon,

John

I think someone on DPReviw received an email from Panasonic this week to say they have no plans in the pipeline to upgrade the FZ50.

Last edited:
The thing to look out for with superzooms is that some people think that it has the equivalent magnification to 18X binoculars. It doesn't. The focal range is 18 times. ( 28 X 18 = 504 ) . I suspect you already knew that, im just clarifying for possible buyers. 500mm is about the same as 10X binoculars, which is adequate for bird photo's ( though you will still probably end up wanting more! )

ISO 6400 is a bit OTT IMO, may look good on paper, but i highly doubt it being useable for pictures bigger than A5!

All in all, looks really good, but I suppose how much it is is the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Good point AC/DC and one that I didn't realise for ages. Bit deceptive really. Anyhow, these megazoom cameras seem all the rage as Fuji have just announced another very similar instrument the FinePix S8000fd also with a x18 zoom,

John

I just saw a page about the FZ18, and now I wish I hadn't, because I want one!:-O Not only for the extra zoom, but also because the exposure can be set to up to 60 seconds, and I've recently gained an interest in astrophotography. I love my FZ4 for daytime subjects, but it only goes up to 8 seconds.

I wish there was a way I could 'trade in' my FZ4 somewhere, and thus pay a discounted fee for the FZ18. I guess I'll be left to my dreams, since when it's released it'll be rather expensive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "extra" zoom isn't as "extra" as it appears to be.

The old 12x zoom FZ8 had the equivalent of a 36mm lens, zoomed 12x to give an equivalent 432mm at full zoom.

The new 18x zoom starts off with a wider angle lens in the first place. It is 28mm equivalent, zoomed 18x to give an equivalent 504mm at full zoom.

So the marketing men pushing the 18x zoom give the impression of a 50% enhancement over the old 12x model, whereas the effective reach of the lens at full zoom is not increased by 50%, but only 504/432 = 16.7%! Only a third of the immediate expectation brought about by the initial comparison of 18x to 12x!

All of a sudden I'm not as excited as I was when I first came across this yesterday.:C

I can`t understand why Panasonic would bring out a camera like this and not bother to include a hotshoe mount for an external flash, especially when older models like my fz20 have this feature.As I do a lot of macro shooting (currently with an fz20)with an external flash I shan`t be bothering to look at this new model, despite the increased zoom range.

Mark H

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "extra" zoom isn't as "extra" as it appears to be.

The old 12x zoom FZ8 had the equivalent of a 36mm lens, zoomed 12x to give an equivalent 432mm at full zoom.

The new 18x zoom starts off with a wider angle lens in the first place. It is 28mm equivalent, zoomed 18x to give an equivalent 504mm at full zoom.

So the marketing men pushing the 18x zoom give the impression of a 50% enhancement over the old 12x model, whereas the effective reach of the lens at full zoom is not increased by 50%, but only 504/432 = 16.7%! Only a third of the immediate expectation brought about by the initial comparison of 18x to 12x!...

Actually, also the FZ8 can be operated with 18x zoom as long as one sticks to 3 megapixel pictures. Thus, it would be interesting to know whether the new FZ18 will allow a similar extension! I have been extremely pleased with my FZ8 on a recent trip. Three things should be improved, however. For one, a 28mm equivalent would be nice. This is now fulfilled with the FZ18, though at some cost in the tele range which birders hate to give up. Second, in video mode it should be possible to use the zoom. And third, anything beyond ISO 400 needs improvement in picture quality. Thus, I wonder how the new camera will fare on those two latter points.
Otherwise, however, the FZ8 already comes as close to the camera I actually need, but which I never thought possible. Great compliments to Panasonic and Leica!

Last edited:
I was looking at a friend's FZ8 and he was enthusing so much about it I was on the verge of buying one until I saw this thread and put things on hold. I don't know which to go for until I find out more about the new model now.

I`ve seen some cracking images posted on another forum with the fz8 Alan. I`d be more inclined to buy a proven camera such as the fz8, than a newly released model. Even more so if your friend has one you can try out yourself.

Mark H

Why isn't additional zoom capacity at the wide angle end worthy of consideration and praise? For many, even most photographers, the availability of a 28mm. equivalent rather than a 36mm. should be fairly significant when it comes to many types of photography--just not bird photography. For me, the key would be the relative level of performance throughout the zoom range. If Panasonic has sacrificed image quality for the sake of the addition of increased zoom range, THAT is what would put me off.

So the marketing men pushing the 18x zoom give the impression of a 50% enhancement over the old 12x model, whereas the effective reach of the lens at full zoom is not increased by 50%, but only 504/432 = 16.7%! Only a third of the immediate expectation brought about by the initial comparison of 18x to 12x!

All of a sudden I'm not as excited as I was when I first came across this yesterday.:C

Why isn't additional zoom capacity at the wide angle end worthy of consideration and praise? For many, even most photographers, the availability of a 28mm. equivalent rather than a 36mm. should be fairly significant when it comes to many types of photography--just not bird photography. For me, the key would be the relative level of performance throughout the zoom range. If Panasonic has sacrificed image quality for the sake of the addition of increased zoom range, THAT is what would put me off.

I didn't criticise the extra wide angle as you'll see if you read my post properly.

I criticised the way the marketing people are attempting to disguise the fact that they are comparing apples with oranges and hoping that at first glance we won't notice (as I didn't until I looked at the finer detail).

The older model was sold on the basis of 12x zoom written large on the camera in white. The new model is being sold on the basis of 18x zoom also written large on the camera. Neither have the wide angle FL made clear. The subterfuge is that the "x" relates to different short end focal lengths, giving the impression that the new camera has 50% more "zoom" (the actual selling point) than the old one, when in fact it only has a third of this.

If the selling point was the additional wide ange, OK. But it is not. The selling point is additional zoom.

And this particular consumer has spectacular resistance to attempted cons by marketing people who put up smokescreens in the hope that new customers won't notice the fine print.

The sooner there is more honesty in digital camera sales the bettter and we will all know what we were buying from the word go. 35mm camera lenses are not sold on the basis of 12x or 18x. They were sold on focal length and aperture. The various digital manufacturers are now trying to con the public with cynical practice based on "my camera multiplies more than his does", without pointing out the shaky foundations of the basis of the multiplication.

It's basic dishonesty.

Last edited:
According to DPreview.com the FZ-18 and the SP-550 have the same equivalent focal length which is 28 to 504 mm.

Did anyone look at the link to the images I posted? I was quite impressed by the detail and sharpness even at high sensitivities.

I didn't criticise the extra wide angle as you'll see if you read my post properly.

I criticised the way the marketing people are attempting to disguise the fact that they are comparing apples with oranges and hoping that at first glance we won't notice (as I didn't until I looked at the finer detail).

The older model was sold on the basis of 12x zoom written large on the camera in white. The new model is being sold on the basis of 18x zoom also written large on the camera. Neither have the wide angle FL made clear. The subterfuge is that the "x" relates to different short end focal lengths, giving the impression that the new camera has 50% more "zoom" (the actual selling point) than the old one, when in fact it only has a third of this.

If the selling point was the additional wide ange, OK. But it is not. The selling point is additional zoom.

And this particular consumer has spectacular resistance to attempted cons by marketing people who put up smokescreens in the hope that new customers won't notice the fine print.

The sooner there is more honesty in digital camera sales the bettter and we will all know what we were buying from the word go. 35mm camera lenses are not sold on the basis of 12x or 18x. They were sold on focal length and aperture. The various digital manufacturers are now trying to con the public with cynical practice based on "my camera multiplies more than his does", without pointing out the shaky foundations of the basis of the multiplication.

It's basic dishonesty.

Ok, I see your point, but I just can't get all that worked up about this issue, to be honest. Strictly speaking, the proper measure would be % change in "effective angle of view," no? This would include both zoom range increase at the telephoto lens, as you have figured it, and also the increase at the wide angle end. What is the difference as to whether it's at one end of the zoom range or the other? The % change at the wide angle end is actually quite significant, i.e., from 36mm. equivalent to 28mm. equivalent. In fact, in absolute terms this increase is HUGE as compared to the relative increase in telephoto power measured similarly. In gauging the level of dishonesty on the part of those marketing people, this would have to be factored in, I think :t:

Any ideas if Panasonic have done anything about their sensor. I've got a FZ7 which is a great lightweight alternative to a DSLR however ISO 200 and above is too noisy. Its a real shame because the image stabilisation and the Leica lens are superb. If only Panasonic could fit a sensor from a Fuji F30 or better still a DSLR.

Alan Seaton:
Just look at any site and you will see further examples of what may be construed as dishonesty. I was told the other day that if you have heard of a person who has made a lot of money in something or another, then he has almost certainly done so through dishonesty.
How the Americans can control their 'excitement' just because another game is coming out baffles me. Then you buy if and find all the bugs that they couldn't (or wouldn't) get out of it before it is released.
I am learning, very slowly, to accept this situation. If you can try something before you buy it - preferably on a week or more temporary loan - then do so. If you can return it with no questions asked, then you really are on to a winner. Unfortunately, such opportunities are very infrequent.
Trypist

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back