• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bassenthwaite Ospreys 2015 (1 Viewer)

There has been a number of bits of news.

This year's chicks have been ringed and one fitted with a tracker (potentially very exciting). No news re gender of these birds as yet.

"The wanderer" no 14 has now been to Norway, Luxembourg and returned to Britain crossing the Channel into Kent, flying to Cumbria and has now gone off to Northumberland.

Both the chicks have fledged! V0, the male chick, on 22nd July and his sister V1 on 24th July.

KL has not been seen for over a week, so the Ospreywatch team are pretty sure she has already left for her wintering spot in West Africa - the Sine-Saloum delta in Senegal. Dad, V0 and V1 can still be seen at Bassenthwaite. The Ospreywatch season is entering its last week for this year.

I did manage a visit myself this year, back in July when I was home to see my mother.

Last edited:
The 31st August was the last day of the official Ospreywatch season for 2015, but there has been no mention as to whether any of the 3 Ospreys, Unring (Dad) and the 2 chicks have left yet, so I presume they are still there. The viewpoints are still accessible, it's just that there will be no volunteers and scopes there now.

There was an interesting event on 24th August when an intruder landed on the nest - it was an unringed young Osprey from an unknown source. It proceeded to steal a fish from the female chick, V1 and then stayed to eat it! Later Unring and V0 came back to the nest! The event was caught on video and this can be seen on the LDOP Facebook page

The male Osprey chick, V0, is now on his way to West Africa. By 10th September, he had already reached Morocco. The first part of his journey took him SSW across England, across The Channel from Weymouth and into Brittany. He then crossed the Bay of Biscay, which took 12 hours, landing in Northern Spain, where he rested for a day. The next step of his journey took him SSW into Portugal, where he stopped in the Algarve region. See the LDOP website for more details and a map.

From Portugal he flew across the Gulf of Cadiz to Morocco in 9 hours, and the latest report is posted on the LDOP Facebook page.

There has been no news about Unring or V1 on the LDOP websites.

V0 seems to have settled on the Senegal/Mauritania border, where he has been for the last 10 days.

On 25th September, White 14, from the 2013 nest, was in Algeria, ready to embark on his Sahara crossing. By Tuesday, 29th Sept, he was roosting near the Niger River in Mali. He then continued south towards the Burkina Faso border. Perhaps he's heading back to Bioko. See the OspreyWatch page for more details.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back