• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey headed (faced) woodpecker near Vienna / Bratislava (1 Viewer)

cranleighcrake

I am once again seeking my first sighting of the grey headed woodpecker! i shall be in the Vienna area early next month and i am keen to find this elusive woodpecker. Does anyone have specific sites in the region within areas such as the WWF reserve at Marchegg, Lednice in the Czech Republic or other nearby venues?

I am once again seeking my first sighting of the grey headed woodpecker! i shall be in the Vienna area early next month and i am keen to find this elusive woodpecker. Does anyone have specific sites in the region within areas such as the WWF reserve at Marchegg, Lednice in the Czech Republic or other nearby venues?

Someone will have some more specific info but does is not exist in some of the parks in Vienna? I know you can find it in central Salzburg....

Grey WP in Vienna

They are becoming even more elusive as the year proceeds. Never had them in May. However, you might be lucky in Lainzer Tiergarten area, especially in the northern part. Other parts of Wienerwald are also good and might even hold the chance of spotting a White-backed Wp - to me these guys are even more elusive as I never could find them so far in 5 years of searching...

Currently there are also frequent sightings from the other side of the Danube, in the Viennese part of NP Donauauen (Lobau), along with eg. Syrian Woodpecker.

Hardly any observations in Marchegg, however.

I would base my search maybe on what other species are of interest - forest vs. open-land/riparian forest species. Also, many orchids in Lobau at that time

Best,
Carnifex

I've seen them in Eisenstadt, in the grounds of the Esterhazy Palace. I know people who have seen or heard them in Laxenburg Park, south of Vienna.
MJB

On a birding trip as a teenager in the 1970s we had grey-headed woodpecker in Vienna, I think in Potzleinsdorf Park, but I guess they are rarer now? The other thing I remember is getting a nuthatch to feed from my hand, with a middle-spotted woodpecker a few metres away looking tempted to join it!

The other thing I remember is getting a nuthatch to feed from my hand, with a middle-spotted woodpecker a few metres away looking tempted to join it!

Now that is really something!...had a Great Tit last year take peanuts from my hand in a London Park....only because it was regularly being fed by another park visitor.

...had a Great Tit last year take peanuts from my hand in a London Park....only because it was regularly being fed by another park visitor.
I've never been anywhere before or since with such a high diversity of habituated wild birds - feeding them seemed to be a regular thing for a lot of park visitors. If I recall correctly it may have been a more central park in Vienna than Potzleinsdorf where I had the hand-feeding nuthatch.
Off to London tomorrow for a couple of days so I'll see if I can attract any great tits whilst attempting to bag ring-necked parakeet for my year list!

I've never been anywhere before or since with such a high diversity of habituated wild birds - feeding them seemed to be a regular thing for a lot of park visitors. If I recall correctly it may have been a more central park in Vienna than Potzleinsdorf where I had the hand-feeding nuthatch.
Off to London tomorrow for a couple of days so I'll see if I can attract any great tits whilst attempting to bag ring-necked parakeet for my year list!

Was in Hyde Park back in March - a Blue Tit landed on my hand next to where the feeders used by the RNP's were situated (alongside the NW side of the 'long water'). Bit of a surprise, and a shame I didn't have any actual food!

Wish I could comment on Grey-headed Woodpeckers mind ...

You can find very tame birds in Schönbrunn park, maybe this was the location you remember, kb57?
A nuthatch also came very close and squirrels climb up on you.

Attachments

• Schoenbrunn.jpg
    Schoenbrunn.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 93
You can find very tame birds in Schönbrunn park, maybe this was the location you remember, kb57?
A nuthatch also came very close and squirrels climb up on you.

Yes! Thanks for jogging my memory, it was Schönbrunn...in 1973!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back