• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Everglades Agriculture Area (1 Viewer)

Al Kat

I will be in the Deerfield Beach area in the middle of March birding and wonder if a trip to the Everglades Agriculture Area would be worth while birding wise.I will be visiting Green Cay and Wakodahathee(however you spell that) Also is the EAA a driving area or trails and what size of a area is it.Hard to get around??

Thanks for any info would be great have not found much on the internet.

Al Kat

Generally, the Everglades Agricultural Area is best during July-September to look for shorebirds during migration. It is also the time when they flood the sugarcane fields for the nematodes, creating extensive amounts of food rich wet habitat for these birds. The strategy is to drive around and look for fields that seem to provide good habitat and contain large numbers of birds -- not really a place with trails or anything of that sort, as it is a working agricultural area.

I would stick to Green Cay/Wakodahatchee. If you can make it, I would also attend one of the STA-5 tours:

http://www.tropicalaudubon.org/sta.html

Wellington Environmental Preserve is another good place to bird in Palm Beach.

Carlos

I agree. The EAAs are great in season but I think now they would be a disappointment. The STAs are hopping, and I think the Lake O Birding Festival is in March, isn't it?

Indeed, I'd recommend sticking to Green Cay, Wakodahatchee, maybe Arthur Marshall Refuge - all are within a small area and can be visited within a day (or stretched out over several days if the birding is good at one of the sites!). Wellington can be interesting, and along the coast sometimes sporadic decent sightings can be found in Boca Raton at Gumbo Limbo, Spanish River Park, James Rutherford, or in Deerfield Island close to where you're staying.

Yup, Lake O bird fest is end of March http://www.bigobirdingfestival.com

A little closer to Green Cay area etc. is the first Ocean to Lake Hike Festival organized by the Florida Trail Association--last weekend in March. Birding and hiking opportunities, lectures etc. at various locations such as Jonathan Dickinson, Riverbend, and W Jupiter community center. A 3 hr paddle down the Lox is on the agenda.

Also--you guys might like the Clyde Butcher lecture on Saturday night. There is also an Owl Prowl on Friday night. Check out http://www.floridatrail.org for schedules,registration and discounted (hmm...) accommodations.

Just FYI--the Big O Fest ain't cheap, but the Trail Fest is ;)

Last edited:
Indeed, I'd recommend sticking to Green Cay, Wakodahatchee, maybe Arthur Marshall Refuge - all are within a small area and can be visited within a day (or stretched out over several days if the birding is good at one of the sites!). Wellington can be interesting, and along the coast sometimes sporadic decent sightings can be found in Boca Raton at Gumbo Limbo, Spanish River Park, James Rutherford, or in Deerfield Island close to where you're staying.

Thank You All for the great tips I have booked a tour at STA 5 and really looking foward to that.Now have to narrow down some if the suggestions for the time I am there.
Thanks again for all the help

Al Kat

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back