• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willet or Won't It? Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Sonora MX (1 Viewer)

Oct 2019
We saw a lot of gray and white shore birds at the Mayan Palace golf course and the Estuary, both E of PP. We saw some willets w/the distinctive pattern on the top of the wings in flight. The closest I can find to this bird is a picture in Merlin bird ID app of a group of nonbreeding adults. This bird seems small for a willet.
PS. I am attaching a pic of that wing pattern so you know I got the others correct.

1) Is this a nonbreeding adult Willet? This bird seems small for a willet.
2) Willets landing
3) What is this? Size is better for a Willet but the beak seems too long.

Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• PA260591.jpg
    PA260591.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Willets landing MP 10 27.JPG
    Willets landing MP 10 27.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 55
  • PA250527.jpg
    PA250527.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Thank you all for your input and assistance.
I see the Spotted Sandpiper now when I look at the juvenile pic in Merlin. Thanks so much!

I guess it "Will"! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back