• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hybrid or just domestic mallard (1 Viewer)

Presumably some domestic variant &/or hybrid of mallard. On that thread linked above, someone made the point I was going to make, viz. that the face pattern's reminiscent of Pacific black duck, so that might be in its ancestry.

IMO it's another form of the ubiquitous "Farmyard" / Domestic Mallards, the resemblance of the head pattern to Pacific Black Duck is just serendipitous.

Chris

Agree on some domestic variant of Mallard. I disagree that the lack of an upturned rump tells us that it's not of domestic ancestry.

Yep, the Pacific Black Duck like head pattern is coincidental and is commonly found in domestic variants of Mallard. No hybrid here (or in MLoyko's thread) - just domestic Mallards. The upturned tail feathers of Mallards are only a feature of males, and even then I think they can be absent on some domestic forms.

I agree with most of the above. Definately a domestic Mallard. I remember when I was a kid starting birding a fair few of these got called Garganey even at first! To be fair if you just look in a field guide it's the closest thing bar Pacific Black Duck. I don't think there is any influence of the latter. This variety is pretty common

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back