• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antarctica's hungry birds seek shelter off Britain (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
In today's conserv@tion - http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm:

We knew they wandered, but not this far. In a series of phenomenal journeys, the seabirds of the Southern Ocean, of Tristan da Cunha and the Falkland Islands and Antarctica, are coming to Britain and the north-east Atlantic in increasing numbers. Their unprecedented trips to the opposite end of the globe may be linked, some scientists think, to climate change and its effect on the productivity of plankton and the organisms at the bottom of the food chain. Great shearwaters, which should be back at their breeding colonies at Tristan da Cunha and Gough Island in the middle of the South Atlantic, 6,000 miles away, have this month been gathering off the Isles of Scilly; more than 300 have been seen.

El Annie

:t:

El Annie

I tried to find the article but couldn't. Where is it located? I will look at it on my return from Essex.

Regards
John J

burhinus

Thanks. I haven't had time to buy neither of the monthlies yet but I hope to rectify that this weekend.

Regards
John J

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back