• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herby Hedgehog needs help... (1 Viewer)

This thread has reminded me of the time my neighbour foun a hedgehog in the drain, we named him prickles and he was rather sorry looking as he had lost half of his spines, we fed him on cat food and took him to the vet where they did all they could, but although we could see no sign of harm it wasn't known what his problem was, he used to snuggle up under the fridgefreezer, and share the warmpth of the fire with our cat and dog, he didn't have any fleas (most unusual) but that may have been because he was very cold when we found him, but after nearly three months he died, the vet thought he had an internal infection but he did very well until the last two days.
Did you know that now you can buy hedgehog food? Yes pelleted mix and dried fruit, the banana goes very fast, according to my resident Hedgehog, put out food and overnight the banana and fruit disappears but sometimes the pellets are left. I had a reward from him this summer..... the back legs of one of my frogs from the pond....yeuchh! I made up a hedgehog retreat the first year I moved in, but this was the first time Iknew for sure it was in use, all it consists of is branches of the cherry tree I had pollarded, so that was the base then I covered it with an old carpet, and followed it up with waterproof sheet, just over the top and weighted down with more branches, and weed resisting membrane, so it wasn't such an eyesore, as the carpeting was pale and glowed at night!
Father -in-law still hanging in there, I do hope he is as comfortable as possible, as it is a terrible thing to be seeing, my heart is with you right now, take care.

Nina P said:
Father-in-law still hanging in there, I do hope he is as comfortable as possible, as it is a terrible thing to be seeing, my heart is with you right now, take care.
You're very kind, Nina - and not only to hedgehogs. Thank you - yes, father-in-law and brother both still just holding their own, the latter only just, we think.

I will add some dried fruit into the food we give the hedgehog now you suggest it. I didn't think of that but we had read that they like bananas.

Hope you're well yourself!

Last edited:
scampo said:
You're very kind, Nina - and not only to hedgehogs. Thank you - yes, father-in-law and brother both still just holding their own, the latter only just, we think.
Hope you're well yourself!
I'm doing pretty well considering the lousy summer we've had and now got the full disability benefit.... for two years! Can't get proper car unless three years granted, but tax relief is not to be scoffed at, thank goodness.
You didn't get to have your holiday in the south then, but hope to hear you get one soon, you never want to go away when family are sick, but remember, you have needs too, and no-one should think badly if you acceed to your needs once in a while. I have been thinking of you but not wishing to impose.:news:

I tried my herbie on sultanas again recently. I gave some earlier but they were left untouched in the dish, but the last few nights have disappeared, I'm now wondering if I have more than one coming here. I put the food dish out around 9.30 pm, when I checked at 12 oclock last night, about half of it had gone, no sign of the hedgehog (thankfully, as the dog goes barmy) but this morning, all the food had gone. Is it likely do you think that he just comes back? Also do you think they would eat the dried bananas? I have those for my hamsters and rats (and I eat a fair few myself - the banana chips that is, not hamsters or rats.....)

The last two nights we have had some food left behind - which is the first time for a week. Tinned cat food always goes, but some suet and dried cat food get left. I should think he'll be getting ready for the big sleep soon.

scampo said:
The last two nights we have had some food left behind - which is the first time for a week. Tinned cat food always goes, but some suet and dried cat food get left. I should think he'll be getting ready for the big sleep soon.

Maybe you should provide another cosy crate - he may not want to hibernate in his dining room!! ;)

I have suspicions about my food now. Having asked if I had two hedgehogs coming, I am thinking along different lines after my discovery this morning. I think Herbie is feeding early and what is coming to finish of the dish is a CAT! There was a tell-tale black hair in the dish, and I think I'm right in saying that hedgehogs don't have black hairs. I think I will start putting out a little less earlier, and bring it in when I go to bed, which is generally 12-12.30. I have enought hassle with the damn thing getting my birds and pooing on my lawn without feeding it and encouraging it here. |=@|

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Maybe you should provide another cosy crate - he may not want to hibernate in his dining room!! ;)
More likely he's cottoned on to the fact that he's onto a good thing, Elizabeth,

songbird said:
I have suspicions about my food now. Having asked if I had two hedgehogs coming, I am thinking along different lines after my discovery this morning. I think Herbie is feeding early and what is coming to finish of the dish is a CAT! There was a tell-tale black hair in the dish, and I think I'm right in saying that hedgehogs don't have black hairs. I think I will start putting out a little less earlier, and bring it in when I go to bed, which is generally 12-12.30. I have enought hassle with the damn thing getting my birds and pooing on my lawn without feeding it and encouraging it here. |=@|
I had thought of that one.... the gap under our "crate" is too narrow for a cat to get in, but large enough to slide the saucer under, and for the hedgehog to get out (well - I hope so!).

The cats hearabouts don't like bananas, so that is a very safe bet, If you have a decent supplier you can buy proper hedgehog food it consists of dried banana and something like dried fruit, but also has some pelleted food, a bit like horse nuts but much smaller, one bag lasts all summer and cost about £5 worth it to be sure you are not feeding a cat, as the cats here hate it! even my own cats have sniffed the food and turned their noses up at it, so I know it's safe to assume the herbies around here have eaten it, but sometimes they do return later. I believe we have a solitary male but he comes about 9.30 first time and returns about 4 am so try to put a lid that the cats cant get to the food and then see, we don't want your Herbie going hungry now do we?

Nina P said:
The cats hearabouts don't like bananas, so that is a very safe bet, If you have a decent supplier you can buy proper hedgehog food it consists of dried banana and something like dried fruit, but also has some pelleted food, a bit like horse nuts but much smaller, one bag lasts all summer and cost about £5 worth it to be sure you are not feeding a cat, as the cats here hate it! even my own cats have sniffed the food and turned their noses up at it, so I know it's safe to assume the herbies around here have eaten it, but sometimes they do return later. I believe we have a solitary male but he comes about 9.30 first time and returns about 4 am so try to put a lid that the cats cant get to the food and then see, we don't want your Herbie going hungry now do we?
Well... things have changed: he's stopped eating or left us or... hibernated. I hope it's only the latter. Do you know when they begin their long winter nap?

Hodgeheg

I saw a large hedgehog this afternoon at dusk (16:40) on my local reserve.
I stopped on the track as i heard a Green Sand going over & the hedgehog trundled out onto the track in front of me.

Today has been cold in the wind, but i think the max temperature was around 12 degrees. (well above 'normal' )
I allways assumed these hiberated right through the winter?
Maybe todays warmth has awoken it early?

SE.

I don't know whether hedgehogs do bother to hibernate if there is still food about (i.e. when temperatures remain highish). We haven't seen 'ours' for weeks and as he stopped eating, we assumed he had hibernated.

I can tell you that if the temperature is high enough they will venture out but not too far in case they get caught out in the cold, winters can be mild and the food source is there then they will still be about. Saying that if you do see one then give it a check up as sometimes they are out looking for food or they are sick. Most of the time they are OK but if one is still tiny then a place like Tiggywinkles will help them out and care for them until they are large enough to hibernate!

scampo said:
Hi there, Nina. Thanks for the advice. Hope you're well!
Watch your post box now Steve! I'm OK had a bit of a do with medical reaction but I think I'm nearly back to normal, BP come down but still having to put the fan on but chill everyone else! LOL talk about thermostat out of control, I would rather have menopausal flushes than this!
Next year should be good as I have been spending money on JVC DVC movie and still jobby and Hubby has decided to get me a new scope for Christmas.... I hope its the MM2 52 opticron as it is lightweight but strong, but I'll have to wait and see! Hope all are coping well your end. XX Nina

We are - you should ask my wife about HFs... she might not agree with you.

Hope Santa comes up trumps with the scope!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back