• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More etymological challenges (1 Viewer)

Dead end ...

Oedicnemus csongor MADARÁZS 1909 [syn. Burhinus capensis LICHTENSTEIN 1823]
= the Hungarian Publisher (Laptulajdonos) Csongor Pete (in Hungarian apparently written the opposite way around; Pete Gsongor), whom together with Madarázs (in 1907 or 1908) founded of the Hazai Zoológiai Laboratorium (the Hungarian zoolocial laboratory, that seems more like a Taxidermy Studio), and publisher of the journal Archivum Zoologicum (1909-1910).

If he is equal of the "multimillionaire" with the same name, who founded the first Record Company in Hungary I do not know. I haven´t been able to find any connections nor hints of links between the zoological and the musical Workshops.

Sorry, but that’s as far as I get. No birth, no death, nothing more.

Good luck finding him!

Björn

PS. If James's "?Csongor Zsigmond Zoltan Pete (b. 1874)" (in today's HBWAlive Key) is linked to either the journal or the "Laboratorium" I do not know.
---

Last edited:
Mr. Murata

1928 Falcipennis falcipennis muratai Momiyama, 1, p. 234 .
Looking at the snippets of Google Book. This subspecific name is given in honour of the late Mr. S. Murata, Assistant Curator of the College Museum in Sapporo, Agricultural College, Hokkaido Imperial University. ...
= the Japanese ornithologist and field collector Shojiro Murata [i.e. Murata Shōjirō 村田庄次郎], assistant curator and (further on) curator of the College Museum in Sapporo, who collected bird specimens on Hokkaido and Sakhalin from 1890 to 1910. He, "the late", apparently died shortly before 1928 …

See links; here, here and here (p.2)

Björn

PS. Not to confuse (I think!?) with the Japanese woodcut master printer of the same name.
---

Last edited:
Additional to Hermotimia cornelia

If I read here (but I not really understand italian), my first guess on cornelia might be wrong. There is written:

Instanto, il 26 lugio 1863, viene eletto socio effectivo della Società Italiana die Scienze Naturali, su proposta die C. d'Ancona, E. Cornalia e A. Stopani.

Maybe it was a typo by Salvadori and it is dedicated to signor dottore Emilio Cornalia (1824-1882) direttore-aggiunto del Museo civico di Milano? here

Here is written:

At the same time Salvadori decided to marry his first cousin Bertha King, against the will of his parents; in spite of the birth of 3 children the marriage later broke up.

So it is as well still possible that he married a second time, the lady I mentioned above. By the way he was seperated from Betha in 1877, one year before the description of Hermotimia cornelia.

The three children named Luigi, Ernesto and Florence, see here.

Last edited:
cornelia continuation … and speculation, also on corinna

Just some ideas, mostly regarding:

● the hard-to-place subspecies (Cinnyris/Nectarinia) Leptocoma (sericeus/sericea) aspasia cornelia SALVADORI 1878 as "Hermotimia cornelia"

Could "Cornelia" possibly be another daughter of the prophet Hermotimus (commemorated in Hermotimia REICHENBACH 1853) … [like Aspasia (as in "Cinnyris aspasia" LESSON & GARNOT 1828, mentioned by Salvadori in the OD as "H. aspasiae")] ... ?

Anyone who know the Greek philosopher's alt. mythology?

Or, as Salvadori here clearly uses the female -ae ending on aspasia(e), could this, indicate another interpretation (maybe cornelia is not an eponym at all?) maybe instead coined from of the Latin cornu/cornis/Corn(us) … in some odd way? What do I know? Or is such a construction impossible?

However; also compare with Salvadori's corinna also 1878 … (based on Shelley's "Cinnyris aspasia" 1877, see Laurent's Post No.7), and Aspasta.

-------------------

By the way: Are we really sure that also corinna truly is an eponym? I sure have some doubts. Like Laurent mentioned Mr. Lamberto Lòria [or Loria (1855-1919), as in loriae and Loria], the only possible link to her had (as far as I can see) nothing to do to with that bird, he was still in school in Pisa, Italy and didn´t graduate until 1881. And he didn´t start his many travels before 1883 (when he, among several other places, went to Sweden!). His only sister Corinna (Anau, née Lòria), died in the spring of 1890, when Lamberto Lòria was stuck in Papua New Guinea. He apparently returned to Italy the year after. I haven´t been able to find when or where she was born, not even if she was his older or younger sister (her brother was however born in Alexandria, Egypt).

The origin of the claim that corinna should be commemorating Lòria's sister is unknown to me, nor do I know what it was, is based upon.

Just some thoughts.

I might be totally astray as Salvadori, in the corinna-article (p.533), simultaneously writes on both "H. aspasia" and "H. aspasiae" as well as "H. aspasiodi". If so, be indulgent. Most of you guys "out there" know me by now, when it comes to Latin, I´m just fumbling around in the dark ...

Björn

PS. Also note that Salvadori considered Müller's "Nectarina amasia" 1843 (not listed in the HBWAlive Key) a lapsus calami, or a printers error, for aspasia. See pp. 113+ in Shelley's A monograph of the Nectariniidae, or, Family of sun-birds.
---

Last edited:
corinna and cornelia

For those having problems with .djvu atached in PDF.

I thought as well about any relationship to Antonie Augustus Bruijn (1842-1890) as he delivered the birds (or at least the cornelia one). Others might be Odoardo Beccari (1843-1920), Giacomo Doria (1840–1913) or Luigi Maria D'Albertis (1841-1901) as Salvadori referenced to an older article in Vol 12 p. 302 here.

But of course it is possible what Laurent and Björn wrote that it might not be an eponym. Cornelia Salvadori was anyway to young when he described the bird.

One more comment Here is of course a dedication to the deceased sister Corinna Loria. But this is long after the Salvadori description. At least we know she was dead in year 1897 (but I think Björn is correct as she was married with the advocat Flamino Anau and Giacomo Doria published a letter to Loria in "Bollettino della R. Società Geografica Italiana" telling him about the death of his sister.)

Here Doria wrote:

La sua amanta unica sorella, la signora Corinna Anau, aveva censato di vivere nel fiore degli anni, precocemente rapita all affetto fratello, all'amore dello sposo.

Viaggio di Lamberto Loria nella Papuasia orientale. XV. Collezioni omitologiche descritte da Tommaso Salvatori. Nota quarta. Uccelli della Nuova Guinea meridionale-orientale. might be a link from Salvadori to Loria (but of course much more later than 1878). Or a little bit earlier here or here or here or here

Attachments

• Intorno agl'individui del genere Hermotimia dell'isola del Duca di York.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • Catalogo di una collezione di uccelli di Tarawai.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Cornelia Salvadori

If we look at the Craveri grave we know at least Cornelia was married with Vittorio Salvadori (1860-1956). Maybe there is a relationship to Tommaso but at least I don't know.

Attachments

• Tomba dei Craveri.jpg
    Tomba dei Craveri.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 65
Mr. de la Bat

delabati
● ... in "Pterocles burchelli delabati" WINTERBOTTOM 1964
most likely the South African conservationist Bernabé Jean Gerhard de la Bat (1928–1982), appointed as biologist at Etosha National Park in 1953, Chief Game Warden for SWA in 1955, first Director of the Division of Nature Conservation and Tourism 1962. … etc. etc.

Disclaimer: This is without having seen the actual OD, simply trusting Mark´s quote in Post No. 6.

Chalcomitra senegalensis erythrinae

Please see attached the original description of Chalcomitra senegalensis erythrinae. After searching for Trans-Nzoia and erythrina I found this here. On page 65 is written:

Erythrina is an indigenous ornamental tree with high cultural value. It is traditionally not used for firewood or timber, but has some medicinal benefits. It has low competition with crops.

So this tree seems to present in the Trans-Nzoia region.

In additional I found:

Erythrina is derived from a Greek word meaning red in allusion to the colour of the flowers.

See here

Attachments

• Stoneham1933.pdf
    422.7 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Bulletin of the Stoneham Museum 1933

You found it! Well done Martin! I´ve search for that one quite vigorously, with no luck. I´m impressed. :t:

Ok, now, if I counted them right, the ones remaining, of James's unseen OD's, or unsolved, (of this thread) are:

Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis. Tokyo.
1927 Cinclus pallasii itooi Momiyama, 1, p. 54
1927 Turdus eunomus ni Momiyama, 1, p. 141
Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan. Tokyo.
1941 Dicaeum isag Hachisuka, 11 (1), p. 1
1942 Conopoderas luscinia hivae Yamashina, 12, p. 81
1944 Goura scheepmakeri wadai Yamashina, 14 (1), p. 1
Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration. Ann Arbor, Mich.
1954 Suthora poliotis patriciae Koelz, 1, p. 2
1954 Alseonax muttui khosrovi Koelz, 1, p. 14
1954 Dicrurus macrocercus tsipi Koelz, 1, p. 15
1954 Aethopyga gouldiae melittae Koelz, 1, p. 21
Dobutsugaku Zasshi. Tokyo.
1923 Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei Momiyama, 35, p. 402
1923 Cisticola cisticola djadja Momiyama, 35, p. 408
1923 Emberiza cioides tamemoto Momiyama, 35, p. 412 (?spelling tametomo)
1940 Turdus aureus miharagokko Momiyama, 52, p. 462
Novedades Cientificas. Contribuciones Ocasionales del Museo de Historia Natural La Salle. Caracas.
1952 Formicarius rufipectus lasallei Aveledo & Gines, Zool., 6, pp. 1+

---
Sure looks like we need some help from Japan, doesn´t it? Any Japanese Birdforum members around!?

Think you missed:

1952 Myiobius villosus schaeferi Aveledo & Pons, 7, p. 15

Or did I miss something?

So help from Colombia might solve this ones. Already sent a mail to Museo de La Salle and there is still some hope that I get them.

Or did I miss something?
Not really, not here anyway, but while we´ve been fumling about on the internet it looks like James has solved schaeferi on his own!

Cheers!

Björn

PS. And I don´t think we will find much regarding the "Dicrurus macrocercus tsipi" KOELZ 1954 [syn. Dicrurus macrocercus albirictus HODGSON 1836]. In A dictionary of scientific bird names originating from the Indian region (2004), published in Buceros Vol. 9, No. 2 (here), Aasheesh Pittie wrote (on p.25):"tsipi: No explanation by the author" … clearly indicating he´d been reding Koelz's OD.

But that’s certainly no excuse to not look for it, the same issue of Ornithological studies/Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration 1, by Walter N. Koelz, still includes three other "unseen" ones! All in the article "New birds from Iran, Afghanistan, and India", pp. 1-32.

Mark,
Re your attachment in #33, do you have a full reference and date for the article "List of Birds Described by the Japanese Authors", by the Marquess Hachisuka?
James

I guess Mark found it here ...
List of Birds Described by the Japanese Authors
• M. Hachisuka
• Japanese Journal of Ornithology
• Vol. 11 (1942) No. 53-54
• Released: February 26, 2009
And the "isag" is found on p. 296, also attached.
---
Björn
-----

PS. James, there´s seem to be several differences in that list compared to yours, why I do not know. For example, compare; "1942 Conopoderas luscinia hivae Yamashina, 12, p. 81" vs Hachisuka's; "Conopoderas luscinia hiwae Yamashina … ", on p. 343 [the latter spelling is not listed in the HBWAlive Key]. Also note the Extinct "Gedus" [sic] i.e. Genus, generic name Kuina (also not listed in the HBWAlive Key): "The name Kuina in Japanese mean Water-Rail", pp. 308-309. And the Testudophaga (in Corvidae), p.309.

PPS. The lay-out of the HBWAlive Key entry for okadai looks odd.

Attachments

• Dicaeum isag HACHISUKA 1941 .jpg
    Dicaeum isag HACHISUKA 1941 .jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Mark,
Re your attachment in #33, do you have a full reference and date for the article "List of Birds Described by the Japanese Authors", by the Marquess Hachisuka?
James
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/browse/jjo1915/11/53-54/_contents

Hachisuka M. 1942(?). List of birds described by the Japanese authors. Japanese Journal of Ornithology, 11(2):270-351.

(I'm not sure of the year, the volume is noted as published 1941-1943, it has 3 issues, this is in the second one.)

Thank you all for the Hachisuka reference (an interesting article and full of diversion!) I wasn't going to add Kuina mundyi to my MS and the HBWAlive Key, since it is a hypothetical name (see J. C. Greenway, 1958, Extinct and Vanishing Birds of the World, pp. 109-114). However, I noticed Victoriornis had found a place in my 'great work', so, for the sake of consistency, in went Kuina, and I shall get round to the ugly Testudophaga in due course. You will also notice a few minor amendments to some Japanese eponyms.

Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan. Tokyo.
1942 Conopoderas luscinia hivae Yamashina, 12, p. 81

I still haven´t found this one, but here's another Japanese source spelling it "hiwae" (here)

In the "List of Acrocephalus Warblers with References", by Joe Hobbs 2010 (here) it is claimed (on p.14) to commemorate:
Minori Hiwa, assistant to the Japanese ornithologist Marquis Yoshimaro Yamashina
Apparently, according to his List of References he´d found the OD! "Yamashina, Y. 1942. A new subspecies of Conopoderas luscinia from the Mariana islands. Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan 12: 81-83." (bottom, same page).

I see no reason not to trust Jobbs.

Also see Richard Klim's Bird Forum Post from 2011 (here).

PS. However Hiwa seems to mean Siskin or Finch in Japanese!? If so a suitable name for a Bird collecting assistant. Well, that´s all I can accomplish in this thread. I can´t get any further. See you all elsewhere!
---

Last edited:
1954 Aethopyga gouldiae melittae Koelz, 1, p. 21.
Birds in books: three hundred years of South Asian ornithology lists all 122 new taxa from 32 pages of Koelz's work. "New names: Actinodura egcrtoni montivaga (= Actinodura egertoni khasiana); Aegithina nigrolutea sulfurta (= Aegithina nigrolutea); Aethopyga gouldiae melittae (= Aethopyga gouldiae isolata); Aethopyga gouldiae..." Here is an article that discusses Koelz. http://www.repository.naturalis.nl/document/46459 . I emailed the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology to see if they still have Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration

Mr. Okada … in Japanese!

Here´s a small side-track from the true "etymological challenges", but maybe with some additional info, regarding:

okadai
● … in the invalid "Prosteganura haagneri okadai" YAMASHINA 1930 [a Vidua hybrid]
= could this be the Japanese Professor "Rihei" Okada [岡田利兵衛] (1892–1982), well-known aviculturalist in the 1930's and 1940's, later an authority on Japanese classical literature and large-scale collector of Haiku Poems. Honorary citizen of Itami … !?

See link, here, compared to Hachisuka's article (Post #35 or #36), pp. 348-350. Surely it must be the same guy? Or are there loads of "Rihei" Okada's, in the town of Itami?

I guess (!) it´s this guy; here (in Japanese) or here (somewhat, but only somewhat, easier for us Westerners, with Google translate), where he is described as, among many things, a bird ("Yotori") breeder and initiator of some kind of "Association of birds"!

But what about the name/s: "KakiMamoru" vs "Rihei" … ?

Anyone´s got the answer?

Björn

PS. Also compare with the entry of Okada in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds, here. Yet another Mr. Okada … born in 1892!?

This said, turning back to the "etymological challange" of the subspecies Lagopus lagopus okadai MOMIYAMA 1928, could "Mr Yoshikazu Okada" (from the OD, accordng to Mark, in Post #16 ) and The Eponym Dictionary's "Dr. Yaichiro Okada" be the same person? Yoshikazu/Yaichiro … simply similar, or?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back