• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Lark? (1 Viewer)

ShoibalM

I clicked this 3 days ago at Nairobi National Park. Any leads as to what species of lark this might be? Looks deceptively like pictures of the Archer's/Sidomo Lark but is obviously not, since those haven't been seen in a long time and never outside of Ethiopia as I understand.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 56
Please ALWAYS put the country and the location in the country in the TITLE of your post. Many people have knowledge of restricted locations, and don't want to waste time opening posts about areas of which they know nothing.

It's very impolite to do otherwise.

MacNara is right of course but it sounded a little harsh IMO. Half the threads don't state country, location etc. in the title... may be next time, eh ;)?

I think its a Rufous-naped Lark but I'm not sure if Red-winged can be excluded. No experience with them.

If you hover your cursor over the thread title you should see the first few sentences, which in this case includes the location. You could therefore have figured out the location without actually opening the post.

MacNara is right of course but it sounded a little harsh IMO. Half the threads don't state country, location etc. in the title.

If it's a very localised species, and the species name is in the title, OK (maybe).

But if it's a genus or a family, then the location is essential for the ID often, but anyway for some of us deciding whether it's worth opening (because we might know about things in one area, but not another). 'Lark' is not a species, or a genus with just a few entries.

If you hover your cursor over the thread title you should see the first few sentences, which in this case includes the location. You could therefore have figured out the location without actually opening the post.

Why should I have to 'hover'? Anyway, how do I know whether the OP has put this information in his/her first sentence?

Bird Forum has rules, or at least advice, about this, and it's sensible and has a purpose. If people follow these rules, then we can glance through the titles quickly and see where we might be able to help, and where not.

Why should I have to 'hover'? Anyway, how do I know whether the OP has put this information in his/her first sentence?

a. So that you don't have to open threads that aren't relevant to you, which is what you were complaining about in the first place.
b. By hovering over the thread title before opening it.

Hope that helps. Also, for someone complaining that you only have limited time on the forum, maybe you should spend less time on the forum complaining about others.

Please ALWAYS put the country and the location in the country in the TITLE of your post. Many people have knowledge of restricted locations, and don't want to waste time opening posts about areas of which they know nothing.

It's very impolite to do otherwise.

My apologies. Back on the forum after a long interlude - didn't quite remember the rules..

A long time ago when i was a child. My mother used to buy me a magazine called.

Look and Learn.

I'm sure it was fascinating, and?

@Macnara
The GUIDLINES ask for the country to be mentioned either in the title or the first sentence. as Andrew points out, by moving you cursor minimally lower, you can read the first line.

As far as I can see it, ShoibalM has done no wrong and posted with the GUIDLINES.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back