• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit's ID please (1 Viewer)

snapper

These photo's were taken at Newborough Warren Anglesey this weekend & from my ref book I can not tell which pipit's they are can anyone help please.

Regards Snapper.

Attachments

• D_0076.jpg
    D_0076.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 183
  • D_0088.jpg
    D_0088.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 156
JANJ said:
What is it usually, when flank streaks are thinner than breast streaks? (on the 1st one)
JanJ
then it usually is the other one...maybe it is? i'm not confident on tree pipit though. usually i do these by call.

lou salomon said:
then it usually is the other one...maybe it is? i'm not confident on tree pipit though. usually i do these by call.

not easy to see but to me it looks like the hindclaw is too long for Tree Pipit

Gwynn said:
not easy to see but to me it looks like the hindclaw is too long for Tree Pipit

Good point, I was looking for the hindclaw as well, and a bit difficult it is to see how long it really is, but if anything, I think it looks as if it´s not the straight Meadow like claw but arched Tree like. By the way, are the two the same bird?
JanJ

Hi all,
What is it usually, when flank streaks are thinner than breast streaks? (on the 1st one)
In my experience, some Meadow Pipits do show thin flank streaking, as the first bird above does, but this is rarely (if ever) the really fine 'pencil thin' streaking of Tree Pipit. Tree Pipits don't have the dark spot on the upper breast (or, if they do, it must be rare), and also differ on a number of other points, most of which have been addressed above.
I agree with my fellow Irishman above, incidentally: these are both Meadow Pipits.
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi all,

In my experience, some Meadow Pipits do show thin flank streaking, as the first bird above does, but this is rarely (if ever) the really fine 'pencil thin' streaking of Tree Pipit. Tree Pipits don't have the dark spot on the upper breast (or, if they do, it must be rare), and also differ on a number of other points, most of which have been addressed above.
I agree with my fellow Irishman above, incidentally: these are both Meadow Pipits.
Harry
i have seen treepits with spotlike, very heavy streaking on the middle of their breast in october, maybe they were from russia. what else is decisive on this bird? i know there were endless threads, but - is it its face, what is it that makes it a mipit?

Hi Lou,
'Classic' Tree Pipits differ from Meadow Pipits in a number of respects:

-the bill is shorter and deeper-based. This is surprisingly obvious at times.

-there is an obvious contrast between the cream ground colour of the breast and the white belly.

-the head pattern is better defined, with a more obvious supercilium, slight ear covert 'spot' (some birds are much better marked in this respect, and can even bear a slight resemblance to an Olive-backed Pipit as a result), darker lores etc.

-the leg colour tends to be a purer 'bubblegum' pink, rather than orange-pink as in Meadow.

-the hindclaw is shorter in Tree.

Hope this helps?
Regards,
Harry

JANJ said:
Good point, I was looking for the hindclaw as well, and a bit difficult it is to see how long it really is, but if anything, I think it looks as if it´s not the straight Meadow like claw but arched Tree like. By the way, are the two the same bird?
JanJ
Hi JanJ they are two different birds but the shots were take at the same place within half a mile of each other I have not been birding very long & only have one ref book collins birds of Britain & Europe Which does not give me much insight to the birds in question it shows two pictures of the meadow pipit one is much darker than the other the darker one has dark brown legs & claws the other has creamy light brown legs on the other hand the tree pipit in this book has pink legs like the one in the posted picture any more help in IDing these birds would be very much appreciated thankyou.

Regards Snapper

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Lou,
'Classic' Tree Pipits differ from Meadow Pipits in a number of respects:

-the bill is shorter and deeper-based. This is surprisingly obvious at times.

-there is an obvious contrast between the cream ground colour of the breast and the white belly.

-the head pattern is better defined, with a more obvious supercilium, slight ear covert 'spot' (some birds are much better marked in this respect, and can even bear a slight resemblance to an Olive-backed Pipit as a result), darker lores etc.

-the leg colour tends to be a purer 'bubblegum' pink, rather than orange-pink as in Meadow.

-the hindclaw is shorter in Tree.

Hope this helps?
Regards,
Harry

thank you, harry, that is a superb summary (as usual from your adress).

Snapper,
if you take a look (again) in #11, there Harry very much said it all. In pic2 it seems as the bill is all dark, which strongly suggest Meadow. Also Tree often has a dark loral stripe, which in front and behind, breaks the eye ring. Tree is closely associated with trees and frequently flies into trees when disturbed. Meadow prefer open and often grassy habitats. And then there is call, Tree has a short high-pitched, bizz, and usually uttered singly. Meadow has a thin and short high-pitched seet, and usually uttered several times and rapidly. I dare to say, that at least pic 2 is a Meadow, and probably pic 1 as well, don´t like the breast spot on a Tree.
JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back