• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jason 16x50 (1 Viewer)

publin

HI! someone experiance with jason bino"s? this one is 16x50 sell on ebay f.o.v 262 m at 1000 yard ] about 7.9 degree ] made by who? optic quality?

Attachments

• img_20191102_114714.jpg
    img_20191102_114714.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 16
  • img_20191102_135657.jpg
    img_20191102_135657.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 18
  • img_20191102_135721.jpg
    img_20191102_135721.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Worth maybe £20 in good condition.
A rather low quality binocular.

262ft at 3,000ft or 1000yds is 5.0 degrees.
This is most unlikely.
Probably 4.0 degrees approx. if 16x50.

If actually 12x50 then maybe 5.0 degrees.

B.

HI! see the pictures! 262f at 1000yard calculate 262;52.5 =4.99 X 16 MAGNIFICATION = 7.98 degree. this the way to calculate f.o.v in bino's. but this brand as you said is low quality I don"t familiar with them [ chinese or fake brand?] so the lable can bee fake too for the magnification on this bino. anyway thanks for your advice about this item

Hi publin,

Almost right.
Except that 4.99 x 16 is about 79.8 degrees not 7.98 degrees AFOV apparent field of view simple calculation. True AFOV less.

The 4.99 degrees or more accurately 5.0 degrees is the claimed actual field.

Much better not to use a calculator and do the sum in ones head, or long hand on the back of an envelope :)

If the information is correct, then Jason was a U.S. firm that coined the phrase 'Autofocus Binocular'. Whether
Jason, Steiner or someone else first came up with this untruth (lie) I don't know.
Jason may have been bought by Bushnell.

Jason also seemed to have pushed toggle focus binoculars. All the toggle focus binoculars I have used are poor. Too fast and imprecise focus, and mechanically poor.

So it doesn't surprise me if the field marked is deliberately inflated.

But if I have Jason's history wrong, I apologise, as I have no direct knowledge of the firm.

The binocular could even be Japanese or maybe Korean, Hong Kong, Macau.
Probably O.K. but cheap.
And the markings deliberately wrong.
The dubious makers will put what ever one wants on the binocular.
The internet is awash with fakes, scams and shams.

B.

Last edited:
I never owned a pair of Jason binoculars, but I can tell you I used to see them selling for a low price in stores like Walmart and Kmart. Something people would buy if they were looking for binoculars for infrequent use at sporting events, concerts, ....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back