• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Near Phoenix, AZ (1 Viewer)

Loutsy

Hi - This dove was spotted on November 29, 2019 in Peoria, Arizona (near Phoenix) where we are visiting, and there are thousands of these doves in the area. I have not heard it coo. Definitely not a Mourning Dove, but doesn't seem to fit the Common Ground-Dove (Western) nor the Inca Dove perfectly according to pics in my Sibley ap. This looks like it should be a no-brainer - what am I missing here.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• unknown Dove Nov 29 19 IMGP2332.jpg
    unknown Dove Nov 29 19 IMGP2332.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 51
It is in fact a Mourning Dove. There are not that many dove species in the United States to eliminate. It cannot be a White-winged Dove, Ground Dove or an Inca for a number of reasons. The light blue eye ring, the spotted tertials, the long tail, pinkish breast, black bill, pink feet etc are all in accordance with a standard appearance of Mourning Dove. The only discrete filed mark on this individual that I can see is the difficult to see black patch near the cheek, which is likely due to the posture. Is there anything more specific that was making the ID unclear?

Last edited:
Thanks to those who posted. We have lots of Mourning Doves at home (B.C., Canada), but they coo all the time. I find this interesting that I do not hear this Arizona Dove coo! So mute Mourning Dove it is!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back