• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Verde (1 Viewer)

rachk116

England
Hi,

I'm wasn't sure where to post this request so thought here may be best. Sorry if it isn't.

I have been looking for a good combination holiday of relaxing and birding and have come across the Cape Verde Islands. Does anyone have any information on whether this is a good place for birds? I have found a few sites with trip reports but they don't tend to be very detailed as to where and when.

Has anyone been there birding? If so, I was wondering if you could pass on any recommendations and suggest which part was best to stay at. Information seems to be relatively scarce compared to some areas, such as the Canaries or Mallorca for which I have also asked for information in the relevant section.

Thanks in advance

Rach

Hello Rach,

Just returned from Boa Vista, Cape Verde, stayed at the RUI Karamboa hotel, which is opposite the airport only a 5 min coach ride. Hotel was great all inclusive great food, went with Thomson. Birding, didn’t see a great deal but there again didn’t try hard, facing the sea at hotel turn right and walk along the beach just passed the first big sand dune there is a small river that runs in, good place to start. Curral Velho is reported to be a spot to see Albatross, Sea Eagle plus Frigate bird. We had Brown Booby most days fishing along the beach also saw Sea Eagle, Brown backed Raven, and an Egyptian Vulture. Sun is very strong be careful, always a bit windy, gets cool at night you need a jumper or two.

Mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back