• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

14 Red kite chicks - video clips (1 Viewer)

Helen O

Anything that flies
United Kingdom
For the past couple of weeks, I have been taking care of 14 kite chicks, destined for Aberdeen.

The birds have kept me very busy indeed, with feeding them and keeping a close eye on them all. To help me monitor the birds, a IR camera with a
3.6mm lens was installed in the holding pen, which is capable of capturing images throughout the hours of darkness.

I have chosen a few clips and edited them down to a manageable couple of mins each, and posted them onto the website. Many more clips will be posted as and when....

In the meantime, here's a pic of some of the chicks.

Attachments

• IMG_2740Web.jpg
    IMG_2740Web.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing them in the skies here later in the year. Earlier in the spring I saw one of last year's releases only half a mile from my house.

A quick update.

I have more or less finished going through the footage, and there are now 15 video clips to view on the website, including one of a kite falling off its perch in the middle of the night (!) one of them being fed, and several where a kite 'jumps' onto the back of another.

The birds have now departed for Aberdeen.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back