• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow from California (1 Viewer)

Ok. Thank you. So I can't assume all the crows I've photographed while being in California are American Crows. Can I?

Note: I'm assuming crow and raven are synonyms. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Ok. Thank you. So I can't assume all the crows I've photographed while being in California are American Crows. Can I?

Note: I'm assuming crow and raven are synonyms. Maybe I'm wrong.

You're wrong- Raven & American Crow are totally different species.

There are identification pointers here https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Raven/id and https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Crow/id. Those are the only Corvus (crow/raven) species in California. Common Ravens are larger, have a proportionately thicker bill, a wedge-shaped tail, and croaking vocalizations. American Crows are smaller, have a proportionately thinner bill, and a 'normal' rounded tail, and caw-type calls. There are other differences in appearance, and there are other vocalizations.

eta: posted before jfdocampo added "Note: [...]". As aeshna5 said, Common Raven and American Crow are distinct species.

It's clear now. I was using 'crow' in the title referring to genus Corvus in general as Nutcracket has commented. That's why I was surprised on the affirmation that "All crows in California are American Crows" thinking in Common Ravens that for me are 'crows' too.
Then I have to revise the other 'crows' I took pictures of in California and nearby places.

Thank you everybody.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back