Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

UK dragonfly & damselfly sightings 2020

Old Wednesday 13th May 2020, 08:02   #51
pdwinter
Paul Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
I didn't expect to be in range for Hairy Dragonfly at this time of year, but it turns out there's a couple of little dots on the map a few miles west of Durham that I'm thinking of exploring next week when I get a chance to get out and the weather warms up again. I've never seen Hairy Dragonfly before. Can any of the experts give me any tips as to what sort of habitat and what elevation I should be looking, please. I say 'elevation' because one of my plans is to be on some raised fells a 100m or so above sea level to look for other bits and bobs (mainly Emperor Moth). Should I be looking at ditches and streams at sea level and forget about acidic, moorland boggy types of environments? Thanks.
I looked in NBN for Durham and contiguous vice-counties and the most recent record of Hairy Dragonfly was one on 1.9.1991 (unusually late in the year!). I looked in iRecord for the same area and there is just one accepted record - at a site west of Scarborough in June 2019. So you might not have much luck!

Last edited by pdwinter : Wednesday 13th May 2020 at 08:02. Reason: spelling
Old Wednesday 13th May 2020, 21:10   #52
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwinter View Post
I looked in NBN for Durham and contiguous vice-counties and the most recent record of Hairy Dragonfly was one on 1.9.1991 (unusually late in the year!). I looked in iRecord for the same area and there is just one accepted record - at a site west of Scarborough in June 2019. So you might not have much luck!
Many thanks for that, Paul. I appreciate your expert advice. In a normal year I would have been in reach of Stover Ponds in Devon where I hoped to have seen HD by now, but it can wait until next year. As I say, the maps I saw for Emperor Moth suggested I was going to be just outside the species known range west of Durham City, but a mate of mine said he was up at the site I was going to go looking on spec at the weekend and he said there's a noticeboard up in the car park there with a picture of an Emperor Moth on it. I've not seen more than a handful of Four-spotted Chasers since I started taking dragonflies more seriously a couple of summers ago and I'll be happy just getting a chance to watch a few more of them.
Old Thursday 14th May 2020, 07:40   #53
pdwinter
Paul Winter

Immature Keeled Skimmer on 12.05.20 at Copythorne Common (Hants) - info and photo on the Southampton Wildlife FB group. Another earliest ever date gone for VC11!
Old Thursday 14th May 2020, 09:40   #54
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Still haven't seen any Dragonflies or Damselflies yet not even at the pond at my local patch.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th May 2020, 16:53   #55
Swindon Addick
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence View Post
Where are you getting Europe’s Dragonflies from? It’s not listed on Bookfinder.
Available to pre-order here: https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Dave-...flies/24290063
It's not out until 14 July and I'm not sure if non-UK suppliers will get it at the same time as the UK stores.

I imaging the BDS shop will stock it too, but they're not likely to have it until slightly after the release date.

BF Supporter 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th May 2020, 22:16   #56
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeshna5 View Post
Think you're unlikely to find any in the latter habitat. Seems to be a lowland species which in the south-east is found around lakes/large ponds with good amounts of reeds or similar emergent vegetation; even wide channels between reeds. I've found them locally in the last couple of weeks where I wasn't aware they occurred- one of the upsides to the lockdown!
Hairy D was an exciting patch tick for me in Bristol a few days ago. Can't find any other Bristol records, but they're not too far away (Avonmouth etc).
Old Saturday 16th May 2020, 18:00   #57
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:
Where are you getting Europe’s Dragonflies from? It’s not listed on Bookfinder.
978-0691168951

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 16th May 2020 at 18:06.
Old Sunday 17th May 2020, 17:34   #58
Farnboro John

Common Clubtail at Fittleworth lunchtime, Variable Damselfly Burton Mill Pond this afternoon.

John
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 07:54   #59
creedence

Tha 2nd edition of Collins Dragonflies is out 20 August at £25 from Amazon
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 08:30   #60
pdwinter
Paul Winter

Good numbers of Southern Damselfly along Shipton Bottom (New Forest) yesterday (18.05.20)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600E_6753.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	727650  
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 10:03   #61
pdwinter
Paul Winter

Golden-ringed Dragonfly seen at Troublefield DWT yesterday 18.05.20
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 16:16   #62
jackied
Jax

Azure and large red damselflies plus broad bodied chasers and 4 spotted chaser today at Monkswood, Worcestershire

BF Supporter 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 16:56   #63
aeshna5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swindon Addick View Post
Available to pre-order here: https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Dave-...flies/24290063
It's not out until 14 July and I'm not sure if non-UK suppliers will get it at the same time as the UK stores.

I imaging the BDS shop will stock it too, but they're not likely to have it until slightly after the release date.
I presume that date is inaccurate as apparently NHBS has just dispatched my copy?
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 21:56   #64
Swindon Addick
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I presume that date is inaccurate as apparently NHBS has just dispatched my copy?
Amazon have been quoting a date this week, while other sites were giving 14 July. I'd assumed the difference of dates meant it had slipped back, but perhaps it's actually been brought forward.

BF Supporter 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 22:01   #65
Swindon Addick
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Tha 2nd edition of Collins Dragonflies is out 20 August at £25 from Amazon
I have the first edition of this (Dijkstra & Lewington). It's also excellent, and anyone who prefers paintings rather than photos to help with ID won't find any better. The only issue I had with it was that the distribution maps were rather out of date. I've had the second edition on pre-order since I saw Richard Lewington mention it on Twitter.

Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 10:39   #66
aeshna5

Quote:
Amazon have been quoting a date this week, while other sites were giving 14 July. I'd assumed the difference of dates meant it had slipped back, but perhaps it's actually been brought forward.

It is out now. Mine arrived today along with the equally new Wild Guides Fern guide.

Atropos have advertised it in stock too.

I was pleased to find my first Downy Emerald locally yesterday at a golf course pond in Northolt. Also a couple of Emperors- my first this year & a Hairy. Managed 10 Odonata species which isn't bad for west London in May!
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 13:08   #67
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

The usual suspects in our garden - but I do like a beautiful demoiselle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beautiful demoiselle ex IMG_0935 (1000).JPG
Views:	25
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	727825  
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 15:11   #68
Farnboro John

Hit Fittleworth again this morning: eight Clubtails, all green adults of which four perched up for photos. Also Scarce Chaser male and female and loads of Banded Demoiselles.

By the time I left (about midday) the Clubtail action had perceptibly reduced.

Cheers

John
Old Tuesday 26th May 2020, 22:29   #69
Larry Sweetland

Had 12 Odonata spp on my Bristol patch so far this year, including two patch ticks: Hairy Dragonfly and Scarce Chaser. Takes the patch list to 22. Yet to get a razzy migrant though, so hoping for one this year.
Old Wednesday 27th May 2020, 04:50   #70
aeshna5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sweetland View Post
Had 12 Odonata spp on my Bristol patch so far this year, including two patch ticks: Hairy Dragonfly and Scarce Chaser. Takes the patch list to 22. Yet to get a razzy migrant though, so hoping for one this year.
I've had 12 species so far this year locally too. Migrant Hawker is very common here so will have no trouble getting that. I'm surprised you've not had one?

Had a frustrating sighting yesterday- I had a brief glimpse of a slim pale brown hawker, which I suspect could have been a Norfolk Hawker, but not enough detail to count, but can't think of anything else that would fit.

They've certainly emerged in neighbouring Herts so possible. After being surprised to get Downy Emerald + less surprised to get Hairy Dragonfly this year on local ponds I'm getting hopeful about what else might turn up?
Old Sunday 31st May 2020, 12:13   #71
aeshna5

New on my patch this morning: a Southern Hawker patrolling just outside the wood, 3 newly emerged Common Darters. Also very good numbers of Four-spotted Chasers with at least 10 at the pond.
Old Sunday 31st May 2020, 14:36   #72
Farnboro John

New Forest this morning: loads of Golden-ringed Dragonflies on a little stream near Acres Down along with Beautiful Demoiselles, Broad-bodied Chasers and Keeled Skimmers. Golden-rings hanging up readily - nice!

John
Old Sunday 31st May 2020, 21:14   #73
Larry Sweetland

Quote:
I've had 12 species so far this year locally too. Migrant Hawker is very common here so will have no trouble getting that. I'm surprised you've not had one?
Migrant Hawker's common round here too (later in the season). I didn't mean Migrant Hawker when I said "razzy migrant", I meant an unexpected migrant species!

Had a couple more emerging since last post, with Small Red-eyed Damselfly and both demoiselles now out too.
Old Sunday 31st May 2020, 21:36   #74
Swindon Addick
BF Supporter 2020

Year list for Ravensroost meadow now up to 8 with black-tailed skimmer and emperor added yesterday. Nothing exciting - at present I'm restricted to locations with few visitors and wide paths, which isn't a common combination, so haven't been able to get to any sites for the less common species. Plus, well, Wiltshire. Bit of a dragonfly desert, really.

A dozen or so four-spotted chasers provided some spectacular dogfights which made up for lack of exotic species.

Old Monday 1st June 2020, 07:50   #75
pdwinter
Paul Winter

Quote:
Year list for Ravensroost meadow now up to 8 with black-tailed skimmer and emperor added yesterday. Nothing exciting - at present I'm restricted to locations with few visitors and wide paths, which isn't a common combination, so haven't been able to get to any sites for the less common species. Plus, well, Wiltshire. Bit of a dragonfly desert, really.
My "new" local patch has brought me 15 species but what was a pond in the old gravel pits, with patrolling Hairy and Downy in the last week of A pril and Scarce Chasers appearing from 2nd May, is now just a very small puddle and we don't have any significant rain in the forecast.

I did see Southern Damselfly at Shipton Bottom (Crockford on the east side) where I saw two people at some distance in a five hour walk (the main Crockford car parks won't open until 1st July)

One of my favourite sites is in VC8 (South Wiltshire) - Cadnam Common -where I've seen 23 species and missed out on Scarce Chaser. But I expect that's a lot closer for me to get to than it is for you :-)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: