• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low cost alternatives to black rapid straps (1 Viewer)

That's what I was trying to find out but it looks like he is unwilling to tell up for some reason!

There had been an earlier discussion about BR strap part failure, but not sure it was on BF. The weak point there iirc was the metal part that attaches the strap to the nut that screws into the camera tripod fitting. Apparently the metal was worn through enough to fail.
Irrespective of that detail, it seems tempting fate to rely on any system with a single point of failure. Safety is much improved if the strap is a loop with at least two fittings from which the optics hang. The OpTech sling straps are one inexpensive example such a design.

What is going on with the quoting on this thread? People’s quoted messages are being attributed to the wrong posters?

As for the metal carabiner wearing through, I am confident that my level of use won’t get to that point and I shall generally have a hand on the lens tripod foot when moving around. BUT I shall be fashioning a viable safety strap as a sensible precaution.

Like this except the plate is connected to the lens tripod foot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgoMZeEwCvI

Thanks, Stevo but that seems to be all I’m doing with my Black Rapid, clipping onto the lug screwed into the tripod mount of the long lens? Black Rapid possibly more secure as it’s a single piece rather than the hinged arrangement of yours. Not really considered needing the lens to mount on a tripod as I intend to mostly hand hold or use a bean bag to rest on where appropriate.

Looks a nice piece of kit for more lightweight setups though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back