• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sobig virus wreaks e-mail havoc (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
Following on from the MSblast thread last week I found this today.

The havoc caused by the Sobig Windows virus looks set to continue into the weekend.
The virus has generated so much e-mail that many inboxes are now completely full and are bouncing back new messages which is only adding to the problems Sobig is causing.

Net giant AOL said it had stopped more than 23 million copies of the virus and e-mail filtering firm MessageLabs said it had caught more than three million.

Security firms warn that the virus has a payload that is set to trigger on 22 August that could turn infected PCs into spam relays.

Data deluge

Many companies reported that their internal networks had suffered because of Sobig and the Welchi and MSBlast worms that preceded it.

Hundreds of thousands of PCs appear to be infected by the Sobig F virus, the sixth variant of a malicious program that first appeared in January this year.

Anti-virus firms were surprised at the success that Sobig has enjoyed as it relies on tricking people into opening it and clicking on its attachment to spread rather than via any technological tricks.

Security experts speculate that the virus was written to order for spammers who want to find a way to spread their unwanted commercial e-mails without fear of being traced.

The virus may get a further boost on Monday when many people in the US return to work after the holiday period.

E-mails bearing the virus are easy to spot because they have one of eight subject lines, most of which begin with "Re:".

Sobig has a sting in its tail. Between 1900 and 2200 GMT (2000-2300 BST) on Friday and Sunday the worm has been programmed to automatically point infected PCs to a server controlled by the virus writer from which a malicious program could be downloaded.

At the moment, anti-virus experts do not know could happen, but possibilities include launching another virus or spam attack, collecting sensitive information, or deleting files stored on an infected computer or network.

Virus flood

The web seems to have caught out a lot of people in China. About 30% of China's net users, about 20 million people, have been infected by the virus according to figures collected by Chinese security firm Beijing Rising Technology Shareholding Co.
The company put an unprotected PC on the net which was flooded with 5,000 Sobig messages within three hours.

"We haven't seen anything spread so fast," said a spokeswoman for Rising Technology. "It could get worse because there's very limited awareness of viruses and preventive measures."

Others suffered the effects of the virus too.

E-mail servers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology were congested by the amount of messages Sobig created and defence firm Lockheed Martin said that although less than 1% of its PCs were infected this still caused disruption on its network.

Air Canada cancelled flights on Tuesday because its internal network was overwhelmed by the Nachi worm.

The Nachi or Welchi worm attempts to download software to fix a vulnerability exploited by the MSBlast virus.

Billy Boy

Not had a single virus at home for about 18 months. There were a number sent to various people at work yesterday but the firewall blocked them all.

Seems to have calmed down, had since lunchtime, but loads on Thursday (All affected attachments removed by BTopenworld before reaching me)

I have also seen quite a few failed delivery replies to e-mails I did not send, but these also seem to have stopped, so hopefully whoevers infected machine sent these spoofed emails out has been cleaned. Er! I spoke too soon another failed delivery message recieved as I was typing this.

So If anyone get a a virus claiming to be from me, it aint. My machine is clean.

Andrew, I will endorse your use of AVG, great anti virus software (providing you update it on a weekly basis), and free as well. (check it out at http://www.grisoft.com).

For anyone on BTinternet / BTopenworld, if you aint done so far subscribe to the email protection service, which will provide screening of all inbound e-mails for viruses and Spam. There is a small fee for this service for pay as you go customers for all others it is free.

Paul

I have not seen a virus here (yet) but have recently openned Emails and seen a message saying attachments removed. Does this mean some were trying to get through?

Hiya Tony,

The virus is getting through via attachments so that is probably why they're being removed. As soon as you open the attachments it accesses your address book and then sends it on to all those who then believe it's you who has sent it.

Billy Boy

Dumb question: can I install more than one anti-viral software? In this case, can I install AVG when I already have Norton? Would I be doubly protected, or is there no point?

Hi Charles,

From what I've heard the second one either won't install or they will mess everyting up as they will each treat each other as a virus.

I have Norton and the Windows firewall switched on and that seems to work.

Billy Boy - Many thanks for the help :t:

Tony

Charles

In the past I have had 2 AV programs (AVG & Norton) installed on the same PC both running at the same time without any problem, although it is likely to slow the pc down.

Paul

Only thing I've seen this year was a backdoor trojan. Used to get viruses sent in emails by kids from US universities to the email address on AM's website. I bounced these back and the uni sysadmin cleaned up. Mailwasher tagged all of them.

There is a AVG 7.0 trial version and it is available for 30 days. The good thing is it self updates. I will have to revert back to the 6.0 version when the trial runs out cos I am a tightwad.

I think I'm right in saying that some of these viruses don't attack a Windows 98 pc--so there are definitely some advantages in being behind the times!

Another one that's a good idea - use netscape to download e-mail. There are some viruses that are self-loading in outlok express, all you need do is download them and not even need to open the e-mail they're attached to - this doesn't happen in netscape. So I understand, anyway.

Michael

Here is a useful tip I noted some time ago. Since some of these viruses use addresses in email address books to get to other puters, here is something which will not stop it but gives you some warning that your puter address book has been used. Put a new entry in your book with the name of "AAAAA" but do NOT put an email address in that entry. Because the name is "AAAAA"it sits at the top of the book. Now when a virus uses your address book and selects the first address, "AAAAA", the email fails (the virus may stop but will probably go on to the next email address) however you will get a message back to say that there is a delivery failure to "AAAAA" (because it has no address in the entry) and because you haven't sent an email to "AAAAA" then something else (the virus) has tried. Neat eh!

I do not use an address book except that I do have "AAAAA" as my one and only address in the book so that will alert me (I have up to date anti virus software as well). I use a word processing document with my addresses in it and it is two clicks to select an address for new mails instead of one.

Eddie

Well, after considerable soul-searching, I risked installing AVG 6.0 and it seemed to mesh with the Norton Antivirus OK. Actually, kind of interesting-- I did a test run and watched AVG scan Norton for viruses, among the other 20,000 files. Norton was clean.

I put AAAAA in my Address Book too. Neat idea.

Dear all,

Home Service 06:00 Today program.
The presenter announced the following.
“ The explosion of virus attacks has been brought about because Microsoft has exhausted its supply of zeros and ones.”

Yours etc.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back