• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bobolink or E Meadowlark juv, central Maine, USA (1 Viewer)

River Girl

Supporter
United States
I watched a family of Bobolinks in a farm field and near them were 2 other birds that have a black pointed mark on the breast that makes me think of Meadowlarks. I have never seen juveniles of this age of either specie and my field guides are weak on showing the juvs. Hope the cropped photos are clear enough.

Thank you

Attachments

• Bobo_or_Meadowlark5601.jpg
    Bobo_or_Meadowlark5601.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Bobo_or_Meadowlark5591.jpg
    Bobo_or_Meadowlark5591.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Bobo_or_Meadowlark5587.jpg
    Bobo_or_Meadowlark5587.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 23
These should be adult male Bobolinks molting into winter plumage, so still retaining some black feathers. The bills are too short to be meadowlark bills. You can see white scapular feathering, and there is no loral stripe (meadowlarks would have a loral stripe).

eta cross-posted with The Bird Nuts.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back