• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small black snake? (1 Viewer)

Tim Allwood said:
grass snakes can be very dark but have the collar effect Stuart mentioned (look at the attached pic). Can also be pretty chunky.

I see adders on a good % of my visits to Waxham, mostly typical in colour, haven't seen a really dark/black one yet...and over the weekend I almost trod on two.

Grass snakes I encounter much less frequently but saw a nice one yesterday which gave me a good hiss before rocketing off...

i must stop birding in my converse and get some chunky boots on....

Tim

The snake we saw was completely black and may have been attracted by birds feeding on small apples. It was definitely keeping still as if ready to strike at prey and may be one of a nest that hatched recently. It had quite a turn of speed when it moved off to next doors garden.
The snake had no markings and I really need to know if young melanic adders have markings and pronounced scales like adults. Also if young rat snakes may be similar.

Farnboro John said:
A friend of mine had one strike a training shoe and go clean through that, thankfully not reaching the foot within - best not to test it.

John

I'm wearing steel toe capped boots, gaiters ( not sure these are good enough ) and strong leather gauntlets in the garden now. Every time I go out I'm looking for normal coloured or melanic adders.

Last edited:
noirua said:
I'm wearing steel toe capped boots, gaiters ( not sure these are good enough ) and strong leather gauntlets in the garden now. Every time I go out I'm looking for normal coloured or melanic adders.

Provided you clump about like a normal human being, most Adders will be off long before you arrive. Even when stalking them for photography I find as often as not they slide off before I get a shot.

The more dangerous times are early in the morning or on marginal temperature days where they may not be fully warmed up and depend on their stillness and camouflage to protect them. In that case accidents could happen but they are still not likely.

The risks are very very low and I've certainly put my feet down right next to them in the past without provoking more than a loud hiss (which in turn provokes a world record standing jump).

John

Noirua, do you have any areas of heathland or waste land near your house, or even woodland or a railway line?
While adders are found in gardens from time to time, Grass Snakes are much more common in suburbia. I have seen very dark Grass Snakes and not noticed a collar.

I also agree with the above posts that any snake is very easily disturbed by human activity. In addition Adders tend to be reluctant to bite, although there are always exceptions!
If you or your neighbours are worried about the snake biting pets or children, removing all hiding places (log piles, garden refuge etc) and cover would be recommended, although this would probably destroy the homes of other garden wildlife.

Just found this thread, and can't add much which has not already been said.

Possibly a melanistic adder, although unlikely in a garden, unless you back onto woodland or grassland. Most likely a grass snake which can look very dark as they shoot away, and there are rare instances of black grass-snakes (3 found this year), but even these usually have a yellowish collar, although there are exceptions (1 found this year).

Following link has an image of a young dark Grass snake, and a melanistic adder.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/highexplosive/Adder/AdderFrame.html

I'm sure that people on this forum wouldn't think of harming a snake so no need to point out that all native UK snakes are protected by law from harm.

Best ID advice for a fleeting sighting is that grass snakes look slim and are VERY fast, whilst adders have a 'chunky' appearance, and although they can move quickly over short distances, usually have a more sedate pace.

The chances of there being an Adder "nest" (hibernacula) in an urban garden setting are virtually zero. If you have a compost heap, its very likely that the harmless grassie would lay its eggs there to incubate.

Hope this helps some, obviously a picture would clinch the ID.

skink1978 said:
Noirua, do you have any areas of heathland or waste land near your house, or even woodland or a railway line?
While adders are found in gardens from time to time, Grass Snakes are much more common in suburbia. I have seen very dark Grass Snakes and not noticed a collar.

I also agree with the above posts that any snake is very easily disturbed by human activity. In addition Adders tend to be reluctant to bite, although there are always exceptions!
If you or your neighbours are worried about the snake biting pets or children, removing all hiding places (log piles, garden refuge etc) and cover would be recommended, although this would probably destroy the homes of other garden wildlife.

There is a railway line about 100 metres away and there is an area beyond the rear gardens, about 4 metres wide, that has trees and bushes planted. We do have compost heaps and a log pile. No heathland or waste land.

noirua said:
There is a railway line about 100 metres away and there is an area beyond the rear gardens, about 4 metres wide, that has trees and bushes planted. We do have compost heaps and a log pile. No heathland or waste land.

Sounds great Grass Snake habitat. I suppose until you get another sighting the snake species will remain unknown. Please keep us updated on any developments. Cheers.

Vicar said:
Just found this thread, and can't add much which has not already been said.

Possibly a melanistic adder, although unlikely in a garden, unless you back onto woodland or grassland. Most likely a grass snake which can look very dark as they shoot away, and there are rare instances of black grass-snakes (3 found this year), but even these usually have a yellowish collar, although there are exceptions (1 found this year).

Following link has an image of a young dark Grass snake, and a melanistic adder.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/highexplosive/Adder/AdderFrame.html

I'm sure that people on this forum wouldn't think of harming a snake so no need to point out that all native UK snakes are protected by law from harm.

Best ID advice for a fleeting sighting is that grass snakes look slim and are VERY fast, whilst adders have a 'chunky' appearance, and although they can move quickly over short distances, usually have a more sedate pace.

The chances of there being an Adder "nest" (hibernacula) in an urban garden setting are virtually zero. If you have a compost heap, its very likely that the harmless grassie would lay its eggs there to incubate.

Hope this helps some, obviously a picture would clinch the ID.

Thanks for the info. My lack of knowledge on snakes isn't helping here and I'm not sure of the difference between sedate pace and very fast. Certainly the snake was black without markings and retained the strike position for a longtime.

American here

It sounds like an adder to me, but we are all just guessing without a photo. If I am not mistaking the grass snake, even the dark phase, will have a ring around the neck. But there may be a melenistic one, solid black. Makes more since that it is the adder. The adder is venomous, but venom output is small and venom is weak.

Sorry if I am repeating anyone, to tired to read all.

It is real funny to read all the problems identifying with only three species of snake found in all of England. In SC we have 38 species and I am always giving the country folk hell for not being able to tell the differance between a cottonmouth and any of the water snakes. I guess I should lighten up a little.

Noirua / Roger S
Black grass snakes are not unknown in the UK. Only last week I collected one from a garden in Derbyshire ( where the owner was convinced that it was poisonous "because it was black"). It was a juvenile about 12 to 14 inches long and highly active. It is completely black and where the creamy/yellow collar should be behind the head you can just make out a slight pale mark if viewed in the correct light.
A colleague has photographed it for me and the pictures were posted on the RAUK (Reptiles & Amphibians of the UK) website. If you want to look at the pictures the link to the actual page is http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=411&PN=1&TPN=2
If that doesn't work go to the main address http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk
Follow the link to forums and under the heading Herpetofauna Native to the UK go to grass snake as the heading. The topic is under the thread called "unusual markings" and John Newton has posted a series of photos there on the 21st August. The bottom one is the best as it shows the whole snake and may be what you saw (the other photos show the head and scales).

There have been two other sightings of black grass snakes that I know of this year, another juvenile in Epping Forest and a black adult found on a development site only about 1 km from the juvenile I found. Adders are also melanistic, I saw a black one in the Peak District this spring, but the possibility of black grass snakes shouldn’t be discounted especially in areas where adders are unknown.

Chris
Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

Monkhall said:
Noirua / Roger S
Black grass snakes are not unknown in the UK. Only last week I collected one from a garden in Derbyshire ( where the owner was convinced that it was poisonous "because it was black"). It was a juvenile about 12 to 14 inches long and highly active. It is completely black and where the creamy/yellow collar should be behind the head you can just make out a slight pale mark if viewed in the correct light.
A colleague has photographed it for me and the pictures were posted on the RAUK (Reptiles & Amphibians of the UK) website. If you want to look at the pictures the link to the actual page is http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=411&PN=1&TPN=2
If that doesn't work go to the main address http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk
Follow the link to forums and under the heading Herpetofauna Native to the UK go to grass snake as the heading. The topic is under the thread called "unusual markings" and John Newton has posted a series of photos there on the 21st August. The bottom one is the best as it shows the whole snake and may be what you saw (the other photos show the head and scales).

There have been two other sightings of black grass snakes that I know of this year, another juvenile in Epping Forest and a black adult found on a development site only about 1 km from the juvenile I found. Adders are also melanistic, I saw a black one in the Peak District this spring, but the possibility of black grass snakes shouldn’t be discounted especially in areas where adders are unknown.

Chris
Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

Good point. I think the number one way to identify between the two is eye pupils. I am pretty sure I could tell at a distance just by build of body but to the novice it may be tough especially with a gravid grass snake. However the pupils of the adder are elyptical where with the grass snake are round.

damz68 said:
It sounds like an adder to me, but we are all just guessing without a photo. If I am not mistaking the grass snake, even the dark phase, will have a ring around the neck. But there may be a melenistic one, solid black. Makes more since that it is the adder. The adder is venomous, but venom output is small and venom is weak.

Sorry if I am repeating anyone, to tired to read all.

It is real funny to read all the problems identifying with only three species of snake found in all of England. In SC we have 38 species and I am always giving the country folk hell for not being able to tell the differance between a cottonmouth and any of the water snakes. I guess I should lighten up a little.

I can see from this link that not knowing your snakes in SC is a disaster waiting to happen: http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/scsnake.htm

Whatever snake it is, it won't really hurt you. They have enough venom to kill a small mammal. You may get a headache if bitten and envenomated.

The strike pose in these snakes is a defence. If taken by surprise they'll do this. They don't want to bite you and use their venom up and besides they seem to instinctively know that we have tough hides that can break their fangs.

If you want a snake to go away, just stamp your feet a few times and move away. Once out of their eyesight, they'll move or settle. No use yelling, they can't hear you. :brains:

The worst bite I've had from a snake left small pin ***** marks. I've had a dog scratch that was worse. :)

I'm glad to hear snakes are protected in the UK. They are here also. Of course, everything native is!
lol.

Knowledge of these things is integral in the region I live. There are many reptiles, pythons and venomous snakes. Not to mention Bitey isects and spiders.
I have my own 3 sweet CB Pythons. :)

Whatever snake it is, it won't really hurt you. They have enough venom to kill a small mammal. You may get a headache if bitten and envenomated.

The strike pose in these snakes is a defence. If taken by surprise they'll do this. They don't want to bite you and use their venom up and besides they seem to instinctively know that we have tough hides that can break their fangs.

If you want a snake to go away, just stamp your feet a few times and move away. Once out of their eyesight, they'll move or settle. No use yelling, they can't hear you. :brains:

The worst bite I've had from a snake left small pin point marks. I've had a dog scratch that was worse. :)

I'm glad to hear snakes are protected in the UK. They are here also. Of course, everything native is!
lol.

Knowledge of these things is integral in the region I live. There are many reptiles, pythons and venomous snakes. Not to mention Bitey isects and spiders.
I have my own 3 sweet CB Pythons. :)

did it look like this? they look poisionous.(i am not a snake expert)

Attachments

• adder.jpg
    adder.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,500
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back