• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird does this egg belong to that's being eaten by a Magpie - nothing gruesome (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Wasn't too sure where to post this (again) so if in the wrong place then please move.

Noticed this Magpie carrying and then eating an egg. I quickly took some photos through the patio windows and then went outside - when they had finished eating and flew off - to have a closer look.

A wood Pigeon did come over and wandered about a bit before it too flew off so my guess is that it's one of theirs - ?

thanks

Attachments

• magpie-egg-0001.jpg
    magpie-egg-0001.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 38
  • magpie-egg-0002.jpg
    magpie-egg-0002.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 20
Yep, looks very like a pigeon egg; whether Wood or Feral, don't know.

Thanks Nutty :t:

My guess would be Wood then because there's always a pair sitting on the fence 'courting' ;)

We also have a Blackbird nest in the rear bushes and a Robin nest in a small tree at the front.

I never disturb the birds - just watch them flitter in and out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back