• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you know what this is (1 Viewer)

Ughelli12

Hello,
I took this in my Garden in Nigeria. Can anybody help me identify it. Size wise it about the size of a magpie. It has a longish tail and spends the majority of its time on the ground or in the lower levels of the hedges around the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_3502.jpg
    IMG_3502.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 201
Ughelli12 said:
Hello,
I took this in my Garden in Nigeria. Can anybody help me identify it. Size wise it about the size of a magpie. It has a longish tail and spends the majority of its time on the ground or in the lower levels of the hedges around the garden.

Hi Ughelli.

It looks like a SENEGAL COUCAL (centropus senegalensis) to me.

Regards from Donana.

John.

Ughelli12 said:
Hello,

Ughelli,
Where exactly in Nigeria? This is certainly a Centropus (Coucal). The location would be helpful as this would appear to be a subadult and Burchell's would appear to be out of range. I see a hint of white supercilium but the other races of C. superciliosus would appear also to be out of range.

Hi yes. I'm in Port Harcourt on the South West of Nigeria. I'm a brit living and working here.
Many thanks for all the help here.
Rgds
Andrew

cuckooroller said:
Ughelli,
Where exactly in Nigeria? This is certainly a Centropus (Coucal). The location would be helpful as this would appear to be a subadult and Burchell's would appear to be out of range. I see a hint of white supercilium but the other races of C. superciliosus would appear also to be out of range.

Hi Ughelli,

Hmm, I would go for a Burchell's Coucal (centropus burchellii). Top of head and mantle (top of back) glossy blue-black, whereas the Senegal Coucal mantle is bright rusty.

Definitely NOT a bulbul.

The voice of the Senegal and Burchell's are different, which would help identify which more definitely.

Regards from Angola,

Mike

Nice photo. A few comments. First, there are no doubts that this is a coucal, they are distinctive and nothing else look alike. Furthermore, Burchell's Coucal isn't found in (or anywhere near) Nigeria so isn't a possibility. The White-browed Coucal (which is sometimes considered to include Burchell's; together they are also called Burchell's) comes "somewhat close", but the nearest record still is some 1000 km. away from Nigeria. Even if it had occurred, it has a very different head & mantle pattern (only "real Burchell's" of far SE Africa look similar). With that pattern there are two possibilities in Nigeria: The first has already been mentioned; Senegal Coucal (Centropus senegalensis). The second is the Blue-headed Coucal (C. monarcha). I don't personally have any experiance with last, but it doesn't look like any of the Senegal's I've seen in Kenya where the same subspecies is involved. The faint barring on the wing indicate that it is in the transition from immature to adult. Both species also have warmer buff underparts as immatures which could explain why the underparts seem likewise on this individual. The head does seem to be vaguely glossed with blue (again, presumeably less so than in full adults), which leads me to a tentative guess of Blue-headed Coucal in trasition from immature to adult. The Blue-headed also is slightly less rufous above and supposedly also warmer buff below (even as adults) than Senegal's, which again lead me in the same direction. Finally, bill does seem somewhat large compared to the Senegal's I've seen; yet another indication for Blue-headed. It should be mentioned that Blue-headed Coucal is largely restricted to areas near water, and if your garden is far from any densely vegetated swampy area/river, it must be considered unlikely to occur; which then would lead you to Senegal. Do note that these species differ significantly in size, which could also lead you to a conclusion in case you noticed. Total lenght of Senegal Coucal is ~38-40 cm. versus ~46 cm. for Blue-headed.

In any case, you certainly can limit yourself to Senegal & Blue-headed Coucal.

Last edited:
Rasmus Boegh said:
Nice photo. A few comments. First, there are no doubts that this is a coucal, they are distinctive and nothing else look alike. Furthermore, Burchell's Coucal isn't found in (or anywhere near) Nigeria so isn't a possibility. The White-browed Coucal (which is sometimes considered to include Burchell's; together they are also called Burchell's) comes "somewhat close", but the nearest record still is some 1000 km. away from Nigeria. Even if it had occurred, it has a very different head & mantle pattern (only "real Burchell's" of far SE Africa look similar). With that pattern there are two possibilities in Nigeria: The first has already been mentioned; Senegal Coucal (Centropus senegalensis). The second is the Blue-headed Coucal (C. monarcha). I don't personally have any experiance with last, but it doesn't look like any of the Senegal's I've seen in Kenya where the same subspecies is involved. The faint barring on the wing indicate that it is in the transition from immature to adult. Both species also have warmer buff underparts as immatures which could explain why the underparts seem likewise on this individual. The head does seem to be vaguely glossed with blue (again, presumeably less so than in full adults), which leads me to a tentative guess of Blue-headed Coucal in trasition from immature to adult. The Blue-headed also is slightly less rufous above and supposedly also warmer buff below (even as adults) than Senegal's, which again lead me in the same direction. It should be mentioned that Blue-headed Coucal is largely restricted to areas near water, and if your garden is far from any densely vegetated swampy area/river, it must be considered unlikely to occur; which then would lead you to Senegal. Do note that these species differ significantly in size, which could also lead you to a conclusion in case you noticed. Total lenght of Senegal Coucal is ~38-40 cm. versus ~46 cm. for Blue-headed.

In any case, you certainly can limit yourself to Senegal & Blue-headed Coucal.
Rasmus

Good explanation!. Thanks.

This is an extremely tough call. For sake of correctness, there should be another possibly ranging Coucal, i.e., the nominate race of Centropus leucogaster (Black-throated Coucal). Having mentioned him, we can discount it as there is no black throat here.

Both Centropus monachus fischeri and Centropus s. senegalensis, as adults, have red iridi and jet black beaks. Both have black feet. The distinguishable differences in the adults would be the not always easily discernable bluish reflex in the black plumage covering the head, and onto the nape (in monachus). There is no readily distinguishable differences between the two regarding the extension of the blackness of the head down onto the mantle. Comparing my pics of the two I can see no real size differences in the bill. The chestnut color of the wings of both would seem to maintain in senegalensis dorsally, while it gives way at times to a darker tone on the dorsum of monachus. There is one thing that I think I see, though it could be my imagination, that makes me propend for this bird being senegalensis, i.e., the black extending caudad from the lower bill insertion onto the nape would appear to have less downward extending extension in senegalensis and going back conjoining with the black extending down onto the side of the neck in a rather radical straight line. My pics of monachus makes it appear that this line is not as harsh looking and has a slightly lower extension onto the malar zone. Of course, with this kind of an ID problem, a lot of times it is just a question of feel, and with this bird in this photo it may be impossible to say 100% what it is!

Last edited:
Dear all,
may thanks for all the replies. It is very much appreciated. Following your comments I looked up on the net both the Senegal and blue-headed Coucal adn as far as I can tell it could still be either (from apperance only). I have quite a few other shots of this bird and I will re-size them and post them later today to see if that helps with a positive ID.

I also have some shots of other birds (black kite, woodland Kingfisher and cattle egret) which I can post if interested to see. Two thoers are again birds I', not sure about. An irradecent blue Starling type bird (a bit out of focus though) and a fairly drab finch type of bird.
By the way, Port Harcourt is a very swampy location Rasmus.
Again many thanks
Andrew

Ughelli12 said:
I also have some shots of other birds (black kite, woodland Kingfisher and cattle egret) which I can post if interested to see. Two thoers are again birds I', not sure about. An irradecent blue Starling type bird (a bit out of focus though) and a fairly drab finch type of bird.

Andrew

Andrew,

Do feel free to post photos of other unidentified birds - its the the exact purpose for this part of the forum. I would recommend that you start new threads for new birds - it can be a bit confusing if too many different birds are dealt with in the same thread. Regarding the other photos where you already have an ID; I am sure they would be a welcomed addition to the gallery...

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back