• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Scotland, suggestions please (1 Viewer)

The slope above layby 151 is much safer viewed from the "old A9 track" which you access via the turning to "Slochd" just a few hundred yards south of the layby. This is a proper junction so can be made either going north or south. You will see a gate right by the junction, which you can park at then walk the short distance along the old road.

I cannot stress enough what a dangerous stretch of road this is, especially after nearly having a very serious head-on there myself this year with some idiot overtaking in which their vehicle actually bounced off the crash barrier and ended up in layby 151! (The minibus I was driving ended up on the grass verge northbound luckily all in one piece).

There have been several serious accidents on that stretch in recent years and I think if anything avoiding distracting drivers further by birders being on the verge is a must. Indeed, the police who attended my near miss were well aware and a bit concerned by people using this layby to birdwatch so I was able to tell them why!

I have mentioned it to Gordon to perhaps update in his latest book this advice and I would urge folk to pass this on to other birders.

Ring Ouzel were actually much harder to see there last year than in the past, probably much easier in Strathdearn (Findhorn Valley) anyway if you're heading there.

Last edited:
The slope above layby 151 is much safer viewed from the "old A9 track" which you access via the turning to "Slochd" just a few hundred yards south of the layby. This is a proper junction so can be made either going north or south. You will see a gate right by the junction, which you can park at then walk the short distance along the old road.

I cannot stress enough what a dangerous stretch of road this is, especially after nearly having a very serious head-on there myself this year with some idiot overtaking in which their vehicle actually bounced off the crash barrier and ended up in layby 151! (The minibus I was driving ended up on the grass verge northbound luckily all in one piece).

There have been several serious accidents on that stretch in recent years and I think if anything avoiding distracting drivers further by birders being on the verge is a must. Indeed, the police who attended my near miss were well aware and a bit concerned by people using this layby to birdwatch so I was able to tell them why!

I have mentioned it to Gordon to perhaps update in his latest book this advice and I would urge folk to pass this on to other birders.

Ring Ouzel were actually much harder to see there last year than in the past, probably much easier in Strathdearn (Findhorn Valley) anyway if you're heading there.

Agree totally with John about how dangerous this site has become. It will almost certainly be removed from any subsequent editions.

One thing that surprised me in the feedback I received from the book was that this site generated more interest than all the rest of the book put together - by a considerable distance. So much for cresties and eagles and divers etc. I certainly didn't see that one coming...

Gordon

If you are looking for Ring Ouzel, try getting the first furnicular up or down Cairn Gorm. Make sure you are able to get into the 'front seat' and look out of the front window. I've been on the first one down a few times and usually it flushed ring ouzels, often around White Lady.

Walking up Cairn Gorm is easier than you might suppose (but see proviso below), and requires only able-bodiesness, not actual fitness. There is a track of stones/large gravel for the use of staff vehicles as far as the cafe; it's much easier than 'normal' hill walking. And you can get the train down.The only problem is that it isn't always useable in April, as one of the main ski runs crosses it. If there are still ski runs in operation, you are out of luck. You will also need to go early before the day-glo-clothed hikers arrive and scare everything away.

Although the track to the hide at Loch Ruthven is quite short, it is quite rough, with rocks, etc and different levels to step up and down on; it's not a path of the sort you would expect at Minsmere or Titchwell.

Oh, and don't get caught out by books which describe the MorMhor car park as a great place to see cresties. I wasted over an hour trying to find it; it no longer exists and hasn't for several years, although it is still appearing in revised versions of site guides! There are two small laybies where you can park if you want to walk in the woods at this former car-park, but there is thick ground cover and no paths, so I'd suggest trying another site.

Walking up Cairn Gorm is easier than you might suppose (but see proviso below), and requires only able-bodiesness, not actual fitness. There is a track of stones/large gravel for the use of staff vehicles as far as the cafe; it's much easier than 'normal' hill walking. And you can get the train down.The only problem is that it isn't always useable in April, as one of the main ski runs crosses it. If there are still ski runs in operation, you are out of luck.

However, if skiing is still taking place on the mountain, there is nothing to stop you from using the funicular, as the restrictions on access onto the mountain from the top station only apply outside the skiing season.

As I have just scanned through this quickly and my vision is slightly out of focus due to my eye ointment I apologise if I am repeating any info.

The fish farm at Rothiemurcus they only allow you to feed the fish and not walk around or use the hides any more unless you pay some large fee to go on one of their birding do's. Has anyone mentioned Loch an eilean although it takes about an hour or so to get around it is worth it for the species and it was the closest we have ever got to Cresties
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=372876 This location is linked to the fish farm and you can use your car parking voucher to go to the fish farm and get a bag of food for the fish.

If you check this search thread out there are plenty of trop reports done by various members over the past couple of years
http://www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=12012872

Regarding the famous layby we have yet to see anything there!

Last edited:
Seems quite a few folk struggle with seeing Crested Tit on here. My advice would be to try the Loch Mallachie circuit (I have never failed here), but also I would strongly advise hopeful's of learning the call first as they can be little beggars to find otherwise.

Good luck.

Ring Ouzel - These are very easy to hear and see if venturing to the end of the road and parking in Findhorn valley. Once parked, walk the track past the farm buildings and you will soon pick them up - so much better than attempting the layby 151 with the drone of the A9.

However, if skiing is still taking place on the mountain, there is nothing to stop you from using the funicular, as the restrictions on access onto the mountain from the top station only apply outside the skiing season.

In theory, the restrictions still apply unless you are skiing. Also, you are not supposed to go off piste. Or so their web site says. Last April, with skiing still going on, I decided to ride up. At the ticket office, the chap took one look at my style of clothing and my binoculars and told me in no uncertain terms that I was NOT allowed to leave the building, did I have that clear?

With the Loch Mallachie trail, what I usually do is take a CD of bird sounds with me and listen to it on the car stereo just before I get out of the car, listening to crestie, crossbill, scottish crossbill etc. Perhaps I do it too carefully, as I've never been able to convince myself that any of the crossbills are Scotties!

Oh, and don't get caught out by books which describe the MorMhor car park as a great place to see cresties. I wasted over an hour trying to find it; it no longer exists and hasn't for several years, although it is still appearing in revised versions of site guides! There are two small laybies where you can park if you want to walk in the woods at this former car-park, but there is thick ground cover and no paths, so I'd suggest trying another site.

A tad unfair. There is no deliberate attempt to mislead or slack checking of facts. It's just that there hasn't been an updated guide since the car par was closed

I think that mine was the last site guide to be published (in 2005) when the car park and picnic site were open. These things happen, and as an author, there is nothing you can do until the next edition comes out.

Similarly, I gave a set of instructions for getting to Craigellachie in Aviemore that started off at the tourist office. As soon as the book was published, the tourist office moved half way up the High Street...

Sorry if you don't like it but that's the way these things go. If I ever get round to writing an updated edition, rest assured that the entry will be corrected.

Gordon Hamlett (author of the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands)

A tad unfair. There is no deliberate attempt to mislead or slack checking of facts. It's just that there hasn't been an updated guide since the car par was closed

I think that mine was the last site guide to be published (in 2005) when the car park and picnic site were open. These things happen, and as an author, there is nothing you can do until the next edition comes out.

Similarly, I gave a set of instructions for getting to Craigellachie in Aviemore that started off at the tourist office. As soon as the book was published, the tourist office moved half way up the High Street...

Sorry if you don't like it but that's the way these things go. If I ever get round to writing an updated edition, rest assured that the entry will be corrected.

Gordon Hamlett (author of the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands)

I agree with Gordon. I was not aware the car park has closed but on the 3 winter holidays I had in the Aviemore area a few years ago the road from Coylumbridge to Loch Morlich was excellent for Cresties. John makes a very good point about knowing their calls-by far the best way of picking them up. Stopping at suitable safe pull ins by the roadside and listening will hopefully reap rewards

I wasn't referring to your site guide (published long before), but to another by a well known author whose first initial is L and last is E who pubished a guide to finding scarce birds which was issued in a new edition AFTER the car park vanished.

Also I seem to recal a new edition of another series published since then, but I can't find my copy to check.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back